Today is not Clara's birthday. Or the anniversary of the day we met her, or when we got the call.
Although we are closing in on her turning two, today is just an ordinary day.
A day we get to see this face...
And sing praises to God that she, against all odds, found her way to us.
A day we get to pinch ourselves for the thousandth time
And realize she's really ours.
And just another day when it's placed on my heart to remember all of the many people who played a role in our family's story with their unimaginable generosity.
I recently found myself reading my blog posts from the day we picked her up. I remember reading all your comments that first night, sitting on a friend's couch, feeding my baby. And I'm sure I looked at them again once back at home.
In the craziness of those early days, I'm not sure I let your words sink in. But reading them the other day, during nap-time, it hit me all over again.
There were so many of you praying for us, following our journey, cheering us on. I remember on our ride down I had never before felt so lifted up in prayer. For the first time I knew why it's called "lifted up," because that's exactly how I felt. It was as if God, the saints and the angels were personally ushering us to her.
I still can't wrap my mind around the money that people sent. Friends, who gave us more than I have ever given someone myself. It floors me to this day. Complete strangers, some of whom told me later that they prayed about it after reading my posts and felt moved by the Holy Spirit to help us out. And I mean help us out. And our family, who made it possible to bring a little preemie home to Virginia to be our daughter.
And, of course, by extension, you helped him get here too...
Because I will always believe one had so much to do with the other.
So, thank you. Because every day that I get to see her smile...
I'm reminded of all of you who helped us get here and how much my heart is full of gratitude. And I don't tell you that enough.







Such a beautiful post! It gave me chills reading it. I live the story of how your family came to be!!
ReplyDelete"love" that should be.:)
ReplyDeleteoh tears. perfect.
ReplyDeleteOh, I am crying here! I wasn't here at the beginning, but I have clung to your blog since I found it. I LOVE YOUR BABIES:). It's so amazing to look back and see how we got where we are - and I believe the same thing with my 2, one absolutely has to do with the other. Such miracles our babies are...
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful post, K!
ReplyDeleteI will never. ever. forget that day... checking your blog constantly to read the updates.
Praise God...
Beautiful post! So very happy for your joy. :)
ReplyDeleteOne of the best days ever! It was a perfect day and we loved meeting the three of you all on that day filled with miraculous beginnings!
ReplyDeleteOh we were definitely following along on that amazing journey!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to hear more of your thoughts on adopting and getting pregnant soon after...
Dr B mentioned it at my appt the other day, like it happens all the time, and he said "adopt and you will get preg". I know it happens sometimes, but it did annoy me a bit that he said that, bc we know it does not always happen.
Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.
:)
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful!!!! I know JUST what you mean!!! I love this post!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember too! The photo that sticks out in my mind is the one of you at the LA stateline. Such a sweet post and I just love Clara's smile!
ReplyDeleteTotally crying here!----absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI remember those posts of yours and constantly refreshing the page, calling out to my husband to give him an update. It was so exciting!
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, traveling to meet our son just over a year later, I thought of y'all. Isaac's due date was your finalization date...I thought that was pretty cool!