Friday, October 14, 2011

Perpetuating the myth

In a comment on my previous post, Kerry asked me about my thoughts on getting pregnant after adopting. I'm kind of surprised I haven't talked about it more often on this blog, but I really haven't. So here are some thoughts on my personal experience thus far...

"Oh, that happens all the time!"

Those are words I have heard continuously since late March of 2010. Those are words that I will likely hear for the rest of my life.

I heard it when I was pregnant. I heard it when I had a newborn and a one-year-old. I still hear it today. Yesterday, in fact, at toddler music class.

I heard it two days ago as well, from my doctor. He said it the last time I was there too.

And, speaking of doctors, I heard it a few weeks ago from my other doctor, the one who I credit with successfully treating my infertility.

You get the point. I hear it a lot. In case you ever wondered if people actually believe that adoption leads to pregnancy, I'm here to tell you THEY DO.

To be honest, early on, it didn't bother me. I was just so thrilled to be pregnant that nothing really bothered me. And, after all, it did happen to me. Then, shortly thereafter, it happened to a good friend of mine. And, surprisingly, most of the people making the comments to me weren't simply talking out of their you-know-whats. They knew actual people that it happened to - their sister, their daughter, their best friend, their patients. How could I dispute that?

Then it did start to bother me a little. Friends of mine who were still struggling with infertility pointed out, sometimes jokingly but coming from a place of truth, how I would now be perpetuating the myth. They were right. Mine was a story that someone would tell to someone else who would then tell it to another person and before you know it that person would be telling an infertile couple, "Just adopt and you'll get pregnant! I hear it happens all the time!" Great. I've been that couple and know how excruciating it is to hear those words. I didn't want to play any role in their pain.

So I went through a phase where I refuted it. That's not saying much coming from me, since I definitely don't invite conflict with acquaintances or strangers. Usually I'd quietly and politely say something along the lines of, "Actually it doesn't happen a lot. You'd be surprised." Sometimes, if I was feeling frisky, I'd even throw in, "Don't say that to someone with infertility. That's not what they want to hear."

Or, to those who liked to follow up the "That happens all the time!" with the inevitable, "They say you just need to relax!", I would attempt to explain that while, yes, I personally believe that "relaxing" after we adopted Clara in a round-about way contributed to my conceiving, it isn't nearly as simple as it sounds...that there's actually a biological component to it...that my hormones were messed up and when my anxiety and stress levels (something I have long struggled with) plummeted, my body was possibly able to heal the last piece of the puzzle. Because, let's not forget, I had three surgeries in there as well. Relaxing wouldn't have ever gotten rid of the endometriosis. Ever.

(And, it's worth pointing out, this is all just my theory. While I do believe in my heart of hearts that the cosmic shift in my entire outlook on life aided in my conception, I will never be able to prove it.)

I rarely go that deep anymore. I usually respond with a simple smile. I don't nod in agreement, but I don't educate them either. I guess I've just gotten so used to it hearing it that the words barely register anymore. And, since in my experience every single one of these people means well, I cringe at the thought of openly disputing what they said. They just seem so darn happy for me. Plus, they were probably just making conversation.

I know I should do more. Just come up with a pat response that I'm comfortable with. Maybe I will. I owe it to infertile couples, and adoptive couples, everywhere. If being someone who this rare scenario actually has happened to comes with that responsibility, not perpetuating the myth is the least I can do.

One thing, though, should be clear - I am not complaining about what people say to me. I'm thankful every day that I find myself in a situation where I get those comments and I will never grow tired of the reminder that I have two babies through two miracles. It's those who hear them and who are still waiting who I feel for. I remember being on the other side of those words all too well.

20 comments:

  1. Wow! A personal response to my comment in a post!!!! Thank you!!

    In have long wondered what you thought on this topic, so I'm so glad you wrote this!

    It's so wonderful and was very interesting, the timing of when you got pregnant, and please know I'm not upset that you "perpetuate the myth", I think it's just important that people know its not a given.
    But then, nothing is a given, right!

    When my (our), doctor said it, it was kind of like nails on a chalk board though. (and I love him and all, but don't have to agree with everything, right?) I mean, he's a doctor, and should know the stats and research, right? What are the statistics....maybe one of your other commenters will know....?
    But anyway, doctors are human, and they too can get into "association theory" , like "oh that happened to my sister, cousin etc". I did think when he said that, that I could respond, "are you thinking of AYWH?" :)But, I just smiled and nodded.
    Who knows what God has in store for me and all of us!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Hear it ALL. THE. TIME.

    I agree with you wholeheartedly on all of this.

    I wish people realized how many people who struggle with infertility continue to struggle after they adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry - Haha.. Oh, I'm sure he probably was thinking of me! I was just there! I should have mentioned about that in the post.. an actual example of how I have perpetuated the myth ;)

    And you're right.. I think people throw stats out the window (which I'm sure they haven't really seen in the first place - are there any???) when it comes to this topic. I think they think it's a positive, uplifting tale to tell and they see it as comforting to the infertile person. We, of course, know that is not the case (not to mention the implication that adoption is some kind of hurdle to cross in order to get pregnant).

    I really just do feel a responsibility to educate people (something I've really dropped the ball on so far). Who else gets that opportunity as much as someone like me?

    Thanks for giving me the idea for the post! I'm going to write more about it in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent topic and excellent post! Especially for those of us who have adopted but haven't gotten pregnant. I used to hear it frequently- now that Abigail's a year it's starting to slow down. To be honest, I wondered it myself. I loved hearing your perspective on this delicate subject!!!

    And speaking of stats- I heard it's around 17 or 20 percent? I usually throw that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I first heard this after we adopted our dog. Really, people??? Come on. I also heard it after bringing home our son. Anyway...after adopting all three our three beautiful children I no longer hear that comment. Sure it happens, but not all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People used to tell me that "now that you bought a house you'll get pregnant". It hurt more then because I was just starting to scratch the surface of my fight with endo, and it was just like a kick in the kidneys.
    Luckily, we haven't had anyone tell us that we're going to get pregnant now that we've adopted, but we were married for over 8 years and trying for over 6 of them when Isaac came home...so I don't think anyone (who knows us anyway) actually believes that could happen. I still do, sometimes, but mostly because I'm breastfeeding and my body isn't cycling and hopefully is healing instead. Wishful thinking, maybe :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. A LOT of people said, "Just wait, once you adopt you'll get pregnant and have a child of your OWN!" I hate correcting people because I know they don't have bad intentions... I'm just worried about when she's old enough to understand comments like that. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this post! Very well said. I heard that a LOT back when.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I'll add that the worst was from MY MOM!!! And it wasn't just about adopting...she had association theories (great term, Kerry!) for EVERYTHING! "Oh, so and so told me that their sister's cousin's daughter got pregnant when she stopped drinking Diet Coke/lost weight/went on vacation/etc." Omg...it never ended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have to tell you ... what a great question and a great post!
    I hear this from the infertile side of things ... from my parents and in-laws. Its annoying. You are right ... they probably don't know that it HURTS to hear it and invalidates your desire to adopt/be a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I posted on this awhile ago, too:

    http://eidsonfamilyjourney.blogspot.com/2011/04/if-you-adopt.html

    So I know what you mean. If I paid attention, I bet I could point out a time EVERY TIME we go into public when we get that comment. Every. Time. But, like you, it's begun to just become background noise. I often just say, "We are just so blessed" and leave it at that. It's so hard, because I want to tell people SO much more about our journey, about our beautiful adoption, about our two OWN children, about our blessings...but I just can't, it's too much. And, like you said, most people are just making conversation and don't really care, lol!

    Thanks for posting, it's good to know I'm not alone in the world on this...I know NO ONE else in real life around me with this kind of story...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes, I hear it all the time as well. From my own mother, no less. (Before, of course, we were denied the Home Study.) Now, as a still-infertile, I tend to answer people the way my Practitioner does - with the FACTS: "Actually, studies have shown that after a certain number of years of infertility, only 5% of couple will go on to conceive, WHETHER OR NOT they adopt." She is one of the 95% who has never conceived.

    I just try not to get into a discussion with anyone about my infertility if they don't know me very well, because I KNOW that they will say that dreaded thing. I'd almost rather someone said to me, "Oh, just get pregnant and then you'll be allowed to adopt!" Both are utterly ridiculous and hurtful to the childless woman.

    Thank you for doing your part to "educate" people when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear it all the time as well -- when I told my principal about my upcoming surgery he told me all about his sister who had just adopted who immediately fell pg. Another colleague who went through IF said that she got a call about a baby available for adoption and found out that she was pg that same day.

    Sometimes it's just too hard to take.

    Thanks for helping educate the ignorant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Relaxing wouldn't have ever gotten rid of the endometriosis. Ever."

    AMEN!! We conceived while in the adoption process, so this sort-of applies to us...but yes, 3 surgeries prior were key to the whole deal.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I get this all the time. It drove me absolutely nuts at first, but I've become a bit desensitized to it after hearing it so many times. I really hate the "just relax" thing, too. Boy, does that bug me. Not only does it discount the reality that there were actual physical problems, but it implies that I could somehow control or was responsible for my infertility.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, we aren't even in the queue to adopt, but we STILL hear this all the time even if we barely hint at being interested in adoption. It's so pervasive. Right along with "just relax!" Thanks for writing on this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In an article in our home study, it talks exactly about this. And their stat was 7% of couples get pregnant after adopting. Or what is more poweful is that 93% of couples do not get pregnant after adopting. I am so thankful for this stat as I plan to use it when we make our adoption plans public. But also who would want to use a poor orphan to get pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got this just from adopting. When we were first married it, was relax, then build a house (we DID every 2 years!) then the adoption thing. I have to say that I'm kinda GLAD I didn't get pregnant right away, just because I would have HAD to explain that to people. I do now say the stats when confronted with the now that you've adopted you'll get pg thing. People mean well but....rarely say the right thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. the stats I've heard (real stats! From real scientific journals, as recently as the past 4 days I spent at a national fertility meeting) is 8%. 8% conceiving after adopting. So as someone else said, that leaves 92% NOT conceiving, so no it's not "don't most people get pregnant right after they adopt?"

    I do believe relaxation is a component but not from the mental "just relax/go on vacation/etc" which I also find to be akin to fingernails on a blackboard. I'm a science person so I blame more the skyrocketing cortisol levels et al.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the stats I've heard (real stats! From real scientific journals, as recently as the past 4 days I spent at a national fertility meeting) is 8%. 8% conceiving after adopting. So as someone else said, that leaves 92% NOT conceiving, so no it's not "don't most people get pregnant right after they adopt?"

    I do believe relaxation is a component but not from the mental "just relax/go on vacation/etc" which I also find to be akin to fingernails on a blackboard. I'm a science person so I blame more the skyrocketing cortisol levels et al.

    ReplyDelete