As of today, Luke is officially one month away from turning one. That just seems crazy to me.
I can't tell you how fast this year has gone. The year-and-a-half since finding out I was pregnant. The nearly-two years since bringing Clara home.
While it does already make me a bit nostalgic, it doesn't make me sad.
Yes, I love sweet little newborn babies, and how clean and warm and snuggly they are. How they can't get away from you when you're changing their diaper. (Oh, I really love that!)
But, let's be honest. The first few months months are spent feeding, changing, and putting them down. And, in our case, getting him back up when he screams endlessly... putting him back down... getting him back up again... begging God to just please let him sleep for twenty minutes...
Don't get me wrong - I do love the newborn days. I long for those days with a new baby, no matter how hard they are.
It's an awesome experience, in those first days, to get to know this new little person who is inhabiting your home. There's nothing like it. But as amazing as that is, for me, it only gets better once you're well acquainted.
I know babies know their mamas right away, but now he knows me. And I can't get enough of all that this stage brings. Giggling like crazy when you tickle him... Holding onto me tight when he's afraid... Talking baby talk... Taking first steps... Playing with his big sister... Making a mess...
Reacting to everything... Clapping his hands... Throwing his arms up and yelling, "tah-dah" at random times because, I believe, he knows it makes us laugh.
I LOVE this time. He's never been cuter and I swear he loves me more every day. And the feeling is definitely mutual.
And the best part? I'm not sad about this stage being over either because I know what's right around the corner is just as amazing. I see it with his big sister. Oh man, is she growing up and it's hysterical.
She seemed to turn into a big girl over night a couple weeks ago and the things she's saying are cracking us up. Like when she saw a picture of her brother in his Halloween costume and proclaimed, "Woah! Who is that?" I wanted to say, "Woah! Who are you??"
I'm sure one day I'll get a little sad that they're getting big. And that day might come soon. But for now I'm choosing to live in the moment and love this time right now. It's a great feeling to know you're in the middle of living the best time of your life. I'm so very blessed.

It's almost been a year???? Oh my! Happy almost birthday Luke!
ReplyDeleteI am SO with you on this one. I get sad at certain moments with them, when I think about how time has flown. I want to do it all over again with them because they make me THAT happy. I squeeze Addy and will her to just stay little for a little bit longer. Because the thought of no more babies in my home makes me SO sad (we are done with kids most likely). But then I see how every stage brings so much joy and I can't help but be blissfully happy:). I always worried I wouldn't love my kids as much as they got older as I did when they were babies (because I have always LOVED babies), but so far, every new stage brings new levels of love for them. You and I are SO similar in this way:). So I love to read your words, thank you!
ReplyDeleteYour kids are the cutest!! I can't believe Leo is almost 11 months too. This year flew by.
ReplyDeletePS Madeleine is going to be 5 in March. THAT I can't believe and it makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteNO WAY is Luke almost 1! Wow. Time does fly.
ReplyDeleteI am right there with ya on enjoying this stage. Dominic is so much fun, doing such funny things right now and becoming a little more independent. It's great!
With Mikey I just enjoyed every stage and still do. I'm not one by nature to look back much and I'm glad that I've been able to focus on the present. That's not always easy.
Enjoy them! They must be a blast!
Amen!!! Beautiful post and beautiful pictures!!
ReplyDeleteTime has flown by! Wow!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie you have on your hands ... and almost ONE! :)
Love the pics of Luke & Clara playing in the curtain. How fun!
Thank you for sharing your joy with us!!! It is contagious. Living in the present is a wonderful way of life.
ReplyDelete