Oh, what a beautiful sight..
This photo was taken this morning, after Luke's third night of sleeping through the night.
That's right. Third night.
So it went down like this...
Night One was Saturday. We got him ready for bed and put him in his crib at eight (with no bed time to speak of, we wanted to ease into putting him down early). Ryan stayed in the room with him, laying on the guest bed, while I took off. I thought it best that I leave the house entirely, so I went to Toys R Us to get the kids a present (and make myself feel better about the whole thing) and pick up a pizza.
Before I even checked out, Ryan had texted to say Luke was asleep.
All in all, it took an hour and five minutes. About 15 of that was happy-time, cooing/whining in his crib. Another 20 was a mix of whining, crying, and silence. And roughly 30 of it was harder crying, mixed with silence and that glorious sound of winding-down-crying.
On Night One he woke up about once an hour for the first few hours. The first time it happened, he fell back asleep before we had even decided what to do about it (he probably wasn't ever actually awake). Each time took approximately two minutes.
He cried twice in the night, but he fell back asleep on his own within minutes. He woke for good around 7:30 the next morning.
We never went in his room (just when he was sound asleep to check on him. I did that a lot). We never picked him up.
Night Two was very similar. This time I was in the room with him. He took a little longer over all to fall asleep - about an hour and twenty minutes - but a lot of that time was spent whining and dozing off (plus he got wedged in the corner and I made the decision to move him out, which might have made things last longer).
This time he only woke up once while we were still up and only cried very briefly in the night once. He woke for the day at 9:50 a.m. (12-and-a-half hours!).
That brings us to Night Three. Last night was the first night Ryan had to work, but we planned it so that Luke and Clara would go to bed while he was home for dinner. I stayed in the room with Luke and he cried immediately this time; no cooing or whining, he just got right into it.
It took him exactly an hour to fall asleep. And it was by far the hardest night for me, too. Having the support of your husband, actually present in the house, is invaluable. Thankfully, Clara fell asleep and stayed asleep, so that helped a lot.
To my surprise, he stayed sound asleep until 2:30, when he cried very briefly and fell back asleep on his own. He did that again at 5 a.m., and then awoke for the day at 8:30.
So it's safe to say we are ecstatic. But... I am hoping that he falls asleep quicker tonight. We had two goals going in: The first was that he would fall asleep on his own in his crib, and the second was that he would stay asleep a reasonable length of time. He's all over that second goal, but the first one has room for improvement.
Although, I will say, 30-60 minutes to fall asleep is WAY better than I expected.
Other things we're doing, in case you're wondering: We play the Frank Sinatra channel on Sirius in his nursery. It's the only thing we have ever found that calms him down so we knew that would be a must. And in case I was questioning its effectiveness, he woke up last night when I was trying to turn down the volume and the signal was lost. Don't ask Ryan about my silent-but-angry reaction to that. I think it involved telling Sirius I was going to kill it.
I also put the shirt I wore that day in with Luke. Now, I will say that I am very, very conservative when it comes to what goes in my babies' cribs, which means basically nothing but them for the first year. I made an exception here, while watching him very closely on the monitor and in-room checks, and we pull it out after he's fallen asleep. He cuddles with it and it does seem to help.
So that's it. Our current "problem" is that since he's getting SO much sleep at night, he clearly wants to nap more during the day. But I think I read somewhere that working on night-sleeping and naps at the same time may be too overwhelming (not sure if for the baby or parents). He has tried to nurse when he's tired the last couple days, which is reinforcing the habit we're trying to break him of at night. So, that's all to say that Ryan's in his room with him right now trying to get him to nap in his crib. Hopefully that's the right decision.
Oh, and yes, I have a ton of time at night and I'm not sure what to do with myself! I know, I should go to bed. And I will eventually. I'm still stalking the monitor for the time being.
And while I thought I'd miss having Luke with me in bed, it's been a very smooth transition. I can sleep on my side, roll over, get up to pee if I want. It's the little things.
I woke up yesterday morning feeling downright refreshed. I showered before Luke even woke up. We went for a walk. A walk! I hadn't had the energy or motivation in ages.
Thank you all so, so much for your prayers and support. This is really an answer to prayer. Luke needed sleep so badly. It's evident by how long he's now sleeping that he requires much more than he was getting.
And with that, he's currently napping in the next room in his crib. What a miracle.
Oh wow! Amazing! Just so you know, we sleep trained Jax at 5 months old or so, and he still wakes up crying a couple times a night some nights. It is VERY rare that he freaks out and we have to go to him. Babies wake up on and off frequently, and are usually able to put themselves back to sleep. Yay!!! I am just so excited for you all - I remember the relief when Jax finally went to sleep on his own! I really hope Luke reduces that time for you. I think I've decided to wait and do Addy until my sister-in-law is in town, so that she is here when Jason goes to work. I need the reinforcements, just like you pointed out:). Congrats, mommy, you guys did a great job! Yay Luke!!
ReplyDeleteOh, one more question, when you were in the room with him until he fell asleep, did you talk to him or interact at all at any time? Or did you just sit there? We always just left Jax and came back every 15-20 minutes or so, but I might feel better if I could sit there. Thanks!
Faith - Thanks! My plan was to talk to him, but when we were in the moment we realized that it might do more harm than good, so we're basically silent. Last night, though, I was having a hard time so I did talk to him a little (not that it helped him). I'm not sure he can even see us, although my phone does light me up. I still wonder if him knowing I'm there might actually prolong things.
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog since way before even your daughter came along. I've enjoyed following your journey. I recently started my own blog (in the process of adopting #2).
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy your son is cooperating, and you're all getting some sleep now. That's great to hear, and it must be such a relief for you. I give you credit for staying strong. Your kids are just about the cutest things ever!
I have a quick question for you - about your monitor(s). Since you have 2 babies in their own rooms, do you have 2 separate monitors, with 2 separate speakers? With our #2 hopefully coming at some point, I've wondered if there's a network-like monitor for multiple babies, so I don't have to keep track of 2 speakers? I don't assume you're a baby monitor expert or anything, just curious what you have!
And thanks again for sharing your whole story on your blog. I can't tell you how much you've inspired me, and helped me through the first couple of really tough years of infertility a few years back.
yes!! so happy for you. keep it up luke!
ReplyDeleteG - Hi! I just checked out your blog quick and can't wait to read more. Your daughter is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAbout the monitors.. we don't use one for Clara anymore (just briefly around 12 months when she was up to no good in there!), mainly because our house is tiny and our rooms are all on top of each other. But that's a good question.. maybe someone else will read this and know the answer?
Praise the Lord! This is HUGE! You did a great job. Just keep it up and I bet he'll lead you right into how to handle the naps. Sounds like he's ready to sleep sleep sleep! Woo hoo!!!
ReplyDeletePraise God!!!! Good for you and Ryan. I'm so glad you are sticking this out and everyone is getting some much needed rest. I am not a good mommy when I am up at night, I do much better work curing the day when I get sleep.
ReplyDeleteAs for the hour long crying sessions...I think those may take a little while to go away with you in the room (but perhaps I am judging based on my own children's behavior?). I found that they cried less once I just shut the door and left. Out of sight, out of mind, and they were smart enough to realize they no longer had an audience. That being said, I had two children that would protest bed-time every. single. night. for at least 20 minutes. It was just there way. They went through stages where they would cry like that for weeks on end, then one day suddenly stop, and then a month or two later decide that they wanted to complain again. I now think it's their way of expressing themselves, and showing some serious determination to protest ;-) I find we go through rough patches like this when we travel or disrupt their schedule.
I hope this helps in some way!
I meant to say "their way"
ReplyDeleteYay for Luke sleeping through the night! The crying times before falling asleep will lessen.
ReplyDeleteI love that he listens to Frank Sinatra! So cute!
That's amazing! Great job Luke! I bet in a few more nights he'll get the routine and fall asleep even quicker.
ReplyDeletewonderful!! enjoy your sleep :)
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad to hear it went well! We had a similar experience and after it was all said and done, I remember saying to my husband, "That was much less agonizing than I thought - why didn't we try it sooner; we could have been SLEEPING!!" lol. I agree with Red's experience that the crying before sleep went way down once we just started leaving the room - it feels hard to do at the time, but they do learn to quiet down quicker without a parent in the room, I think. But for now, celebrate the fact that what you're doing is working this well! :)
ReplyDeleteYah! So happy for yall, what a tremendous sacrifice, go Luke!
ReplyDeleteI truly believe that when you let them cry it out, IT WILL WORK! Don't worry. The time will get shorter. So cool isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWow, how great for you guys! I'm so glad you are feeling refreshed!!
ReplyDeleteYessssssssssssss! Nothing like it!
ReplyDeleteHooray for peace, quiet, and blessed sleep!
Fantastic!!! Yay for sleep!
ReplyDeleteOh AYWH! I am *thrilled* to read of your successes! Fantastic work. I second Red's thought on just leaving during the goodnight, esp. if the little man most likely can't see you anyway. Take confidence in your awesome new reality. woo hoo!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I remember a line from "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child"-- "Sleep begets sleep..." Soon, Luke is going to be the sleepiest kid around. You won't know what to do with all your "free" time! What a beautiful predicament!!! God bless.
Yeah!!! Congratulations and way to go Luke!! (And R and K - I know you did a TON of work as well! ;)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! What an accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteI love that on the first night you just got the heck out the house. That's what I would do to help the emotions! :)
WOW! Praise GOD (with a tad bit of jealously!)! I am going to copy you and pray that we get similar results :) Landon (4 months) sleeps from 9PM - 4AM and from 4AM - 7AM. Not bad at all, but would like a solid night's sleep! Praying that Luke keeps up the good work!
ReplyDeleteGood job Mama and Luke!!
ReplyDeleteNow just don't go on vacation anytime soon. We are out of town now and my 12 month old went from sleeping 12-13 hours a night to being up MOST of the night. We have tried the pack and play in our room and in the bathroom and also just put her in our bed (deflating air mattress) with us and nothing works. She just likes her crib in her room at her home and that is that. This is the worst vacation ever!! I can't function with no sleep and neither can she. We are all miserable.
Woohoo! So glad you're all sleeping!
ReplyDeleteGreat job, K!!!! Sleep is SO important for everyone, as well as developing baby brains!! Glad peace is restored to your home. I did tons of sewing when E was sleeping early (sometimes she was out for the day at 5:30 PM!!!).
ReplyDeleteWOW... go you!!! Keep at it.....
ReplyDeleteI've been obsessed with your posts... those dresses you made Clara! I'd pay you to make some! and the pics of the kiddos!!! oh my gosh...
I just posted on L's blog that I need another Richmond trip soon!
Must fill you all in on details :)
oh, and he's TOTALLY scrumptious in those feetie jammies!
ReplyDeleteYay for sleep! L has been sleeping 11-12 hours for a few weeks now and I feel SO much better!
ReplyDeleteG, we actually have 3 monitors with the speakers downstairs since we can't hear our kids well when we're downstairs and they're upstairs. It works!
Turning the corner on day #3! Key turning point to keep moving forward, this is great, GREAT news! And I agree that leaving the house was a perfect idea, but I probably woulda hit the wine store or something ;) 'Course I'm not still nursing, but still, those bedtime mommy nerves can get to you! Good job! Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteHa! Congrats!! Do you feel like a brand new person!??!
ReplyDelete