Monday, June 20, 2011

My babies' daddy

When I met my husband 12 years ago (nearly to the day today), I knew right away he'd make a great father.

And I remember clearly the reason why - he was funny.

As someone prone to stress and seriousness, I knew I needed someone to lighten the mood, and I dreamed of a playful, fun-loving dad for my kids. For some reason I always had a particular scenario in my mind of Ryan and I on a long car ride (perhaps due to memories of car trips as a kid being terrible...whose aren't?) with our kids in the backseat starting to get antsy, and Ryan calming them down with some silly joke or song.

Well, the more I got to know him better, as with anyone, I discovered Ryan actually isn't calm and collected 100% of the time. And I'm sure he's bound to lose it on a long trip sometime in the future. But he is the fun, playful dad I dreamed of. He's not afraid to act like a kid around the babies, and he's always making Clara laugh. She probably thinks his voice is two octaves higher than it actually is from the way he talks to her in funny voices.


And Clara worships him. She calls for him every time she wakes up. She runs to the front door and stands, perfectly still (no small feat for a toddler), watching him get into his truck and back out of our driveway, twice a day, every day. She lights up when he comes on t.v., loudly proclaiming, "Daddy! Daddy!" And you should see the way she looks at him when he walks in a room. Pure love.

They have a special bond, those two.


I am absolutely in love with the way Clara loves her father (and, I have assured him, Luke will feel the same way soon.. probably around the time he's weaned).


And while I love the way he jokes with her and makes her giggle uncontrollably, no longer is his sense of humor the main reason I'm glad I chose him for my kids' dad. Even better than all that (which is pretty darn good) is how he protects us, provides for us, and worries about the bigger picture so we don't have to.

In particular, I love that Clara and Luke's father has planned and worked hard to allow me to stay at home with them. I love that he works two jobs. I love that he doesn't mind not having the best things (if I worked he'd have an iPad by now, just about the only material item he has any desire for in the world). I love that we're on the same page, and that it was never even a discussion whether we'd live on one income.



And recently he said something that nearly made me swoon, one of the sweetest things he's ever said: That he'd want me to stay home even if I didn't want to.

Okay, you might think either he or I am nuts if you don't feel the same way about that statement (and that he's controlling, which couldn't be further from the truth). But as someone who loves staying home, hearing my husband say that was like music to my ears. That he felt that strongly about it. Ahh! I just love that.

And I am so terrible. I complain about our small house, our yard, our neighborhood. That we don't have a van. I spend a lot of time complaining about what we don't have. I even - get this - complain about him being gone at his second job.

When I write it all down like that it makes me cringe.

It's not easy being the family's sole earner, all that weight on his shoulders alone. That's one big thing I've learned since becoming a parent - that Ryan has pressures I'll never know. It effects men at their core, the innate desire to take care of their family. He's driven by that.

And the fact that me and the babies just see the results - the home, the food, the clothes, the fun extras - and not the negative effects of the stress he's under... well, it's all part of the great dad that he is.


So on this Father's Day (a day late), I am so totally grateful for my husband. For his humor, his love, his hard work, his drive, his protection, and that he lets me stay home to raise our children, despite not getting that iPad he wouldn't mind having ;). We love him so much and I thank God he's my babies' daddy.

22 comments:

  1. what a great post, and what a great little family you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Can I just write "ditto" and link my blog to this post for Father's Day?! lol! I LOVE that my babies have a better daddy than I ever did. I LOVE that he is everything I always dreamed of having growing up. I love it all. I'm sure Ryan knows how very much you all love him and appreciate him. How could he not?! Happy Father's Day (a day late), Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your best posts ever, and that's saying something!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful post, beautiful father to your children, and beautiful love you have for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful K!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post makes my uterus ache... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ADORABLE!!

    My baby daddy's thanks me all the time for staying home, even more now that some of our kids are old enough to attend public school.

    "One of your best posts ever, and that's saying something!!" Ditto to Leila's comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics! Especially the first one! Umm...yeah, that guy interviewed the president!! So funny!

    I love your line about not even really discussing that you'd stay home. Same with me & my hubby. We've always been on the same page that way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. You are both so very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one made me cry!!!

    Thank God for a good man!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! I could say ditto about my husband too. Except that Isabella thinks he is WAY funnier than I think he is...
    Daddy's and daughters have that special bond!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I can't wait to see my DH with our son when he is born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is almost as beautiful as her pigtails ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post! Stay at home moms are under valued in our society but so are their counter parts. This was a nice reminder to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my absolute favorites of yours... I agree with Leila.
    This is something, K! Elise and I were talking about how great it was the other day, actually.

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post!!

    And it's a good reminder for me too as I tend to worry so much (drives Dh crazy! :)) and I forget how much weight he carries on his shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I have been MIA and am trying to check in on everyone slowly but surely (and commenting when blogger allows-ugh). Your family pics are amazing! And I totally agree about the father feeling the pressure of being the primary income producer. You articlulated your appreciation beautifully and have inspired me to make sure my husband knows of my appreciation as well. I hope you are getting some sleep these days. I was with you when you said you'd given up the idea you would. AJ woke several times yesterday, three of which were to eat. Sigh. One I was asleep nursing him in the rocking chair and stayed that way so long (2 hrs!) that he decided to help himself to seconds, lol! Well that sure woke me, but I couldn't exactly take it away at that point so we broke my goal of only 2 night feedings (one before I go to bed and one after). At this rate I will be pumping like crazy, even in the night when we leave town for a long weekend for our 5 year. Oh well. There are worse things! :)

    ReplyDelete