Thursday, November 27, 2008

Artwork

Jeremiah 29:11 asked about the paintings I have around my house, so I decided to post some pictures here. I haven't talked too much about painting on here, probably because I haven't really done it in two years! I am a total temperamental artist and I can go for very long periods of time without doing it. I don't doubt that this current dry spell probably has something to do with infertility, now that I think about it. 

So I just went around my house and took these pictures, and I realized that I don't have a lot here. My parents' house probably has the marjority in one spot. I used to have pictures of all that I've sold, but they're all on a computer hard drive in our attic. I guess I should probably get those off of there before they're lost forever!

Here's what I have:

This was our wedding painting, which means that a detail of one of the flowers was on our save-the-date and the invitations, and prints of this painting were given away as favors to all the women.


This is a print of a painting (notice the reflection throughout - that bright spot in the sky is neither the sun nor a UFO, but actually a light in my kitchen. You can also see me taking the picture if you look closely). The original is hanging in my father's office. And it's actually a painting of the building my father's office is located in (his is the door and windows on the far right side, first floor). 


I did this painting really quickly one day to decorate my kitchen.


This painting - of my great-grandmother on her wedding day, I believe - is actually one of my first, from high school. It matches our bedroom now, so up it went (I look at it every day and think about how the proportion is wrong).


I did this painting the night before my wisdom teeth were removed because I was panicking and needed something to concentrate on! I probably should have painted something before my two endometriosis surgeries!



I was looking for something to paint one day, and the famous painting that this is a replica of was actually printed on the wrapping that the canvas came in, so I just copied it. I guess I'm pretty lazy when it comes to ideas!

Speaking of that, I should point out that I can ONLY paint from photographs, or other paintings. It's a curse and a blessing. Everyone tries to convince me I could probably paint out of my head if I tried, but my mind just doesn't work that way. I HAVE to be looking at something. Here's another example of that:



This one is actually a detail of one of my favorite paintings, On The Beach, by Winslow Homer (and it's a little banged up, I just noticed). The original is hanging in an art museum just a few miles from where I grew up (if you click on the link, you can see how the part I used for my painting is actually in the lower left corner of the original). 


Well, I guess this has inspired me to get going on painting. Hopefully I'll post some pictures of new paintings in the near future!

Happy Thanksgiving...and photos of my low G.I. meal are also coming soon!

8 comments:

  1. Your paintings are beautiful Karey! I like to paint also, but don't do it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beach one. You are very good!!
    I know what you mean about the dry spell. My DH was noticing that I haven't touched my camera in a long while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Thanks for posting these pics. I loved seeing your artwork. You'll have to let us know if you are inspired to paint in the near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!! i admire anyone that has artistic talent since i have none!

    my favourite is the one with the poppies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very talented artist! My favorite is the cherries! It is so cheerful! Hope your Thanksgiving Dinner and new recipes turned out to be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! What great talent. You're good with words AND paintbrushes! Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for always sharing so openly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are unbelievably talented... my favorite is the beach one!
    thinking of you and praying for you now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is so impressive! You are one talented lady (in more ways than one)... what a blessing!
    I like the woman and little girl walking in the field the best. It reminds me of one of my favorite Monet paintings, "Woman with Umbrella."

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete