Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The shot and the shrinking follicle

I'm back home after my appointment and I got the shot! Yay!

So Dr. L did another ultrasound and this time the follicle was smaller than yesterday. It had been like 2.74 and today it was something like 1.7 or 1.8. I wondered if that was a bad sign and she said no, that it was because I was in the process of ovulating.

So follicles shrink? Has anyone heard of that before? It just amazes me how little I know about all of this.

Anyway, then she said that she could see irregularities and I got nervous because that usually doesn't mean something good. Is that bad, I asked? No, she assured me, it means you're ovulating. You want to see that. Phew, okay.

She then checked for fluid behind my cervix (is that even right? I don't pay close enough attention!) and didn't see any yet.

Then a nurse gave me the shot, which took like one second, and Dr. L wrote me out an order for peak +7, 9, & 11 blood work.

So I'm wondering about this shrinking follicle. Dr. L seemed to think it was totally and completely normal that it got smaller and that it was, in fact, evidence of ovulation. I'm not sure why it still makes me curious, maybe because I've never heard of it before.

I guess I should just be grateful I have real proof that I ovulated this month. Dr. L had no doubt that's what we saw today.

Oh and I've had 10KL three times to far today, so I'm good to go.

So then I was in a great mood driving home, only to get pulled over for speeding five minutes from my house. And I got a ticket. I was doing 64 in a high-speed toll lane when the speed limit was 45. Crap. (And, I might add, Ryan just noticed the cop had to fill out my weight, which is not on my license, and guessed twenty pounds too high. Nice!)

Oh well. I'm just happy that, after five years of treatment, I finally got a shot. Why did it take this long? My treatment definitely hasn't been what you'd call aggressive up to this point, that's for sure. The RE I saw a couple weeks ago asked if I was holistic! That's okay though. It's all in God's time.

And don't worry, I'm not counting on the trigger shot to be my magic fix. I am just happy to be doing something proactive during this time of waiting and I know that it is up to God when and if I ever conceive. But you better believe I'll be asking for St. Therese's intercession tomorrow on her feast day! We share a birthday, so I like to think she looks out for me.

"I do not fear trials sent by Jesus, for even in the most bitter suffering we can see that it is His loving hand which causes it...When we are expecting nothing but suffering, we are quite surprised at the least joy; but then suffering itself becomes the greatest of joys when we seek it as a precious treasure." (St. Therese of Lisieux)

16 comments:

  1. so awesome. too bad about the ticket, but I love that you are upbeat again. praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, personally, have been happy with Ovidrel because it worked well for me. In my case, with the fertility meds, it helped me to ovulate more than one follicle (I had 3 matures ones on the cycle we got pregnant). My RE told me the trigger is so effective because it can release multiple follicles, therefore giving you a better chance at success, and it also helps you to time intercourse more efficiently. I think we bd'd the night of, took the next day off, and then again the following morning.
    I hope you have success with Ovidrel! PS. not to make you worry, but all 3 times I used Ovidrel I developed large corpus luteum cysts...just keep an eye out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NeNe - Did the large cysts develop the next cycle? Why would a trigger shot cause cysts to grow mid-way through? Sorry for all the questions, but you got me interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just F.Y.I. I had my first clomid/HCG (Novarel) injection cycle last month. Before that, I tried HCG on its own. My RE actually gave me 2 HCG shots in one month and not only did I feel like a pin cushion, I was retaining water like crazy! My mature follicle in my 1st cycle with HCG was at about 2.2 when I got the first injection and at about 2.5 on the second. I did not ovulate that month. Then the second month, we triggered when the mature follicle was at about 2.2 Went back for a follow up ultrasound and the sonographer saw free fluid in the ovary and also in the cul-de-sac area of the uterus. My RE assured me for ovulation to have taken place free fluid must be present and the follicle must show an irregular form (the area where the ovum actually releases from the ovary leaves a slight irregularity!) I was so excited that the fluid was present, I had not ovulated (that I'm aware of) since we started this journey 3 yrs. ago. So although no pregnancy, we were very encouraged by the ovulation we had confirmed last month!!! After a month of clomid, HCG and progesterone with no pregnancy we took things easy this month. Our stress level was high with all these treatments and the unspoken expectations we sometimes have that "this will be it". I am going in for an u/s tomorrow at 3 o'clock-hour of mercy!- to see what they've been up to this month. Please keep me in your prayers - we are always praying for you and especially since you have begun down the road of injectables. Peace, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well- my RE said that the combination of fertility drugs/Ovidrel can cause the corpus luteum to grow into a large cyst after the follicle is ovulated- he said it was very common but that apparently my ovaries are also very sensitive to the Ovidrel.

    I don't know a lot about how it works, but after you ovulate the follicle where you released the egg starts producing progesterone to help sustain a pregnancy. This is normal and usually results in a small cyst. But my RE said, especially for me, that the Ovidrel (and also probably the overstimmed ovaries due to the fertility meds) causes this cyst to continue growing- in my case they got very large.

    Now, they were all harmless and eventually went down on their own. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case it happened- but again, I am apparently super sensitive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the ticket. That's great that you were in the process of ovulating at the appointment. I'm glad your treatment is more proactive now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the cop guessed 20 lbs higher? that almost hurts worse than the ticket. lol, men!

    Good luck with the shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like things are happening as they should! I am so excited for you!!

    That really stinks about the ticket...

    Happy Early Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you finally got your trigger shot! Woohoo!

    Sorry about the ticket. I've been stopped twice by the police and I started to bawl hysterically both times. The first time my fine was reduced the second time the guy was sorry, but my ticket was still over $100!

    Sending you prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!

    GO TRIGGER SHOT!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, I'm so sorry you got a ticket!!!! I'm so glad everything looks good for you though. I bet that made the ticket not all that bad, haha.

    Breakfast this morning so was nice- thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sew - Thanks for the birthday wishes, but it's not today! St. Therese and I share a birthday on Jan. 2. I think today is the day she died.. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the follicle shrinks because it has released the egg. So, no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right, Oct 1st is the day she passed into heaven :) (I'm a St. Therese groupie, haha!)

    As for the shrinking follicle... it was a corpus luteum. That's why you've never heard of it :) Functioning follicles don't shrink, but RIGHT after ovulation, the corpus luteum cyst is MUCH smaller, then as the luteal phase goes on it puffs up more (and as NeNe said, it can, with drugs, be puffed up and stay puffed up for a while).
    The irregularities they were referring to were most likely the irregular borders of the corpus luteal cyst (more evidence of ovulation, and the fact that the cyst being viewed is a C.L. and not a follicle. Follicles have smooth, thin, regular borders.)
    And the fluid that usually occurs after ovulation tends to go into the posterior cul-de-sac, behind the uterus (and cervix). Some women get a lot of it, some not so much, but it's further evidence of ovulation.

    All in all, my analysis of this post is that you didn't need the trigger shot- you O'd right before the u/s! BUT, it doesn't harm anything to take it anyway, and it may help other follicles (were there any others?) grow real fast and rupture, too, if they were close to 2.0cm already.

    Oh, and 2.7 is HUGE! You grow 'em big, Mama!! :) I wonder if the bigger the follicle the bigger the baby? Haha, can you imagine? You'll have a 10 pounder :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH NO! So sorry about the ticket. :( That really stinks. Especially since you were so close to home.

    Dinner was great! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete