A year ago today we were in Italy. I can't believe it's been a whole year!
The trip was a blast. We went for free, believe it or not, because it was a tour and we were the "hosts." A t.v. station in the city where we used to live used us to promote the trip (since we were former news anchors there) and let us go for free. How lucky were we? We had joked about doing something like that when we were old and retired, but young people are rarely asked to do it. And we're talking airfare, hotels, and two meals a day all included. The blessing was it allowed us to take video of the Vatican for my movie, and so I believe it was an answer to prayer.
Since it was a tour, it was mainly retired couples, with a couple people in their forties, and a few in their fifties. Most, though, were in their 60's, 70's, and 80's! But don't let their ages fool you, they were awesome! It's amazing how much older people act exactly like young people - they formed clicks and there were even some tense moments when some of the group was upset at the rowdier members! (Not surprisingly, we were among the rowdier ones, although most of our little circle were in their seventies!).
Sadly, it might be the last trip I take abroad, because I had enormous anxiety over the flight and I don't think I can go through that again. And, yes, I took Xanax, but I would seriously have to be heavily medicated the entire month before we go to make it worth it.
So allow me to take a little trip down memory lane from one year ago this week:
Us in Verona, where we spent the first couple nights. While it's a good location to take day trips from, Verona itself was awesome. (By the way, I can't believe how much heavier we both are here!)
More Verona, and its marble pedestrian streets.
I think we're in Florence here. I'm holding someone else's wine, since I don't drink. You're probably thinking, what a waste! (At least that's what my husband was thinking the whole time!)
Our best friends on the trip, and we had never met them before we went. Please say a quick prayer for the woman in the middle, Lou. She suffered a stroke not long after returning and then they discovered cancer, so she spent many months in the hospital.
This woman was nuts, in a good way! There was never a dull moment.
The group. The woman in the forefront with her back to the camera was our tour guide for the week (thankfully, that wasn't the job of the hosts. Our position was entirely ceremonial!). She was Irish and quite liberal, and vocal, and even told the group that the Vatican once had a side business manufacturing birth control. What?
Barb, the crazy one, again.
Lou's husband, attempting to steal a decoration from a restaurant. I told you these people were rowdy, despite their age!
Our table always managed to acquire everyone else's leftover wine at dinner.
One of our many live performances at dinner.
Our first night at the Vatican. They wanted to baptise him, since he wasn't Catholic, despite the fact that he was actually baptised Catholic as an infant. I hope this isn't sacreligious! It's what happens after all that free wine.
Awaiting the Pope at a Wednesday audience. We didn't know at this point if Pope Benedict would make his way by us.
And he did!
We were so close! I even made eye contact!
We had such a great time! It almost makes me want to fly again! Almost. Okay, not really. But it was an amazing trip and I'm so thankful we were given this opportunity!
That is so awesome!!! Looks like you guys had a great time! I wanted to tell you I made your chicken fingers a few nights ago! They were so YUMMY!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou look so different in those photos! Between then and now you can really see your weight loss. Wow. I bet the trip was so much fun.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a gift! God sure sends us surprise blessings once in awhile. Thanks for sharing your pics!
ReplyDelete