We're we're getting ready to leave for my appointment, but I just wanted to share a neat story with you before I go.
So yesterday I attended a Li.fe Cha.in event here in Richmond. It's a pro-life event held around the country. I was shooting video of the event and not surprisingly, I believe God took an opportunity to speak to my heart. It's amazing how often this happens when I am behind my camera doing an interview! It's really bizarre.
Someone had mentioned to me that I should interview an older gentleman who had been coming for years, so I did. So I'm asking him why he comes out and strangely enough, his answers are sounding very interesting. See if you can tell what I'm getting at:
He went on to say how it would be sad for someone to never be a mother. So I'm thinking, of all the things he could say about being pro-life, this man is looking at it from the perspective of... someone with infertility! But it just couldn't be, right? I figured it must just be me looking at everything through the lens of my infertility-obsessed world again.
So then he says this:
Can you believe it? This 79-year-old man, at a pro-life rally, on a Sunday afternoon, manages to help put adoption on my heart (I should add that adoption is becoming very likely at this point. More on that in a future post). Hearing him say this was astounding (and if you listen closely, you can even hear me say "awwwww" at one point. I was tearing up). I got a chance to speak to his wife after the interview and she told me that they tried for four years before adopting. They also told me that I will love my adopted child more than I could ever imagine, and they even joked that sometimes they think they love their adopted children more than their biological one! (He said the biological son shares some of his "bad traits").
It's not even the miracle they ended up getting that gives me hope. It's the fact that I think God wanted me to hear this, combined with the thought that this man was a kindred spirit in the world of infertility. He talked about what his wife went through, the physical pain of getting shots, and the emotional pain we all know too well. It struck me to think of them, probably fifty years ago, going through what we are all experiencing, but with drastically fewer options. I would never have known this if I had just passed them on the street. It really makes you realize that people everywhere are walking around with the pains of infertility on their hearts, and we don't even know it.
This couple - fifty years later - is able to look back on their infertility with praise and gratitude for their three children. Their oldest just passed away this summer, and in the few short minutes we spoke, they told me all about him - his successful career, his accomplishments, his perseverance through previous health problems, and what a blessing it was to have him for as long as they did. And it was just so clear that they couldn't have been prouder, even if he had been their biological son.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I really feel touched by God in these unexpected moments. So thank you, God, for giving me this little reminder that things can be okay!
what a wonderful experience Karey. Thank you for that. Even though we've started on the journey to adoption I loved hearing this validation! The further I get into it, the more I believe what he said...we won't grieve over the fact that our child didn't come from my womb, we'll be parents and love our child OUR CHILD more than anything else in the world. God Bless you and I hope you have a good appointment.
ReplyDeleteThat is just amazing :) And what a CUTE little old man... I wish he was my grandpa! (I only have 1 grandparent still living, my grandma.)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear how your DA goes today, and also more about these "adoption" thoughts!
Very touching and uplifting. I'm a big fan of adoption. If China hadn't changed things so drastically, I'd have been a mother already, and then a wife. I still wish I could have completed my adoption without putting my life on hold for several years.
ReplyDeleteOh, well... God has something else in store for me. And I can't wait to read what direction you are being led in, too.
I'm tearing up too! What a sweet man. I do belive this was a message from God for you, Good luck with your appointment.
ReplyDeleteWow. I was tearing up listening to this man speak and reading what you wrote. It is amazing how this story confirms that although there is so much pain in infertility, God truly does have a plan and "all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).
ReplyDeleteIt is just hard when we are trying to figure out what that plan is through the pain.
how wonderful!
ReplyDeletelooking forward to hearing about your appt.
You ol' meanie!! I've been checking back here incessantly to see what you learned at today's DA! WHERE R U???!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just finished a long-distance Intro Session with Nicole. Thank you for referring her to me :)
What a special gift! Thank you for sharing...we're getting to see your experience through your eyes/lens. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't take much to make me tear up these days.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful reminder of God's power to redeem all things.
This man spoke from the heart about some difficult things. I am so thankful that he did!
It seems clear that God is speaking to you right now about these things. (and to all of us, too!)
P and I attended the life chain here, too, and it was a blessing.
Praise God for His goodness!
ReplyDeleteHe brings great consulation after a long walk in the desert...
May He keep feeding you with His peace.