Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Helpful passage and video part II

While in adoration today I came across a great Bible passage that I wanted to share with you:

The works of God are all of them good; every need when it comes he fills. No cause then to say: "This is not as good as that"; for each shows its worth at the proper time. So now with full joy of heart proclaim and bless the name of the Holy One. (Sirach 39:33-35)

It says so much and, at the same time, makes me question a lot.

First, the works of God are all good. That's something those of us dealing with infertility need to remember often. We are good, despite our broken bodies; infertility can be used for good, despite the suffering that it brings; and, no matter how we feel right now, we are on a path that is, because God paved it, essentially good.

Every need when it comes he fills. Some of us might beg to differ with that one. Yet, is it true? If we believe that God is who He says He is, then yes, it's true. And it is true in my own life - despite my extreme focus on one thing I do not have, I have so many needs met. I have food, a home, love. And, as much as I might not want to admit it, maybe being a mother is not actually a need. I want it, that's for sure, but God knows better than I what is a necessity in my life.

It also speaks to the speed at which God fills our need - when it comes. That sounds pretty immediate. He doesn't make us wait for things we need; He's not up there delighting in watching us suffer. But, then, why are we all left waiting for something as intrinsically good as a baby? I don't know. Again, maybe it's not a need, but then why are so many people hungry and cold? Those are definitely needs. I guess this is where sin and free will enter into the picture. And I sure don't have the answers!

This part really speaks to me: No cause then to say: "This is not as good as that." How often do I think that I am less than others because of my inability to procreate. How often do I think that God has left me behind, has forgotten me, even made a mistake in creating me. But He hasn't. We are all God's creatures - the fertile, the infertile, the healthy, the sick, the able-bodied and the handicapped. One is not better than the other; at least God doesn't see a difference. In His eyes, we are just as good as the women who conceive at will. It goes back to the first line - the works of God are all good.

And the last line is a reminder to me of what I should be doing, despite my sadness - So now with full joy of heart proclaim and bless the name of the Holy One. I know I should be praising God more. I should be thanking Him for my suffering, for this time to grow in my relationship with Him. I should be praising Him no matter what darkness I have in my life. And it's also a reminder to spend less time questioning Him and more time blessing His name. There shouldn't be any time left to be upset because I should be praising Him always. I don't do enough of that in my life, or, more specifically, on this blog. I need to change that.

Anyways, it helped me today so I thought I'd share it with all of you.

Now, Part 2 of my sister's wedding video (this does not pick up where yesterday's clip left off. We've skipped ahead about twenty minutes here, to the end of the Mass). And you might start noticing a theme with the music. Anyone recognize it?


9 comments:

  1. Rudy!! One of my favorites.

    I had to de-lurk for that, but while I'm here, I just want to tell you how much your blog has meant to me. Yours was the first blog I found when looking for other Catholic women suffering with infertility. Your posts are so beautiful (all of them - even the "down" ones b/c I've definitely been there). So thank you so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your insights on that passage. I know this road is so difficult. But God must be so pleased at how you immerse yourself in His word and try to understand His will for you. I hope you guys are having a very merry Christmas! Looking forward to seeing you in January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were really on my mind today. Thanks for this...you're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful passage and reflection.

    Again, loving the video. You did such a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It that song also in Steel Magnolias?? When I heard it in the background of clip #1, that's what I first thought.

    Merry Christmas, K!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! Yes.. it is Rudy. My sister and I LOVE the Rudy soundtrack!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. Thanks for the message. Keep an eye out in the mail, I was hoping the thing I sent you would get there before Christmas :-( Anyway, to answer your question I grew up in Cortland NY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your reflection on the passage. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome video!! You are so talented!! And I love the RUDY music!!! I was an extra in that movie!! Crazy, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete