Sunday, March 15, 2009

Finally some GOOD news about fertility and getting older

It turns out my ovaries may just be late bloomers!

Believe it or not, there is a study that shows as women with PCOS get older, their chances of getting pregnant may actually increase. Apparently, this is because as those of us with PCOS get older (over age 30) our hormones settle down and the ovaries begin to work efficiently. The study found that women with PCOS conceived at similar rates over their lifetimes as women without PCOS, it just happens later.

That's the best study I've ever seen! Yes, it's small, apparently, but I'm running with it regardless. Usually, studies are all about how our age is working against us, how our clock is ticking, how our eggs are becoming fewer and fewer. I seriously can't believe aging may actually help us!

Here's an excerpt from an article about the study:

Miriam Hudecova and colleagues at Uppsala University in Sweden interviewed 91 women who were 35 or older and had been diagnosed with PCOS when younger. They found the women had undergone just as many pregnancies and borne as many babies, on average, as PCOS-free women of the same age. Some of the women with PCOS had been treated for infertility, but more than two-thirds had become pregnant without such help.

Hudecova also examined most of the women and found that the ovaries of the older women with PCOS showed signs of being more active, with better hormone levels and more eggs available, than those of control women of the same age (Human Reproduction, DOI: 10.1093/humrep/den482). "As they get older, the chance of getting pregnant may actually be higher," says Hudecova.

As women age, fewer follicles are produced each month, and in most this reduces fertility. With PCOS, however, fewer follicles may have the opposite effect: it may stop the hormonal interference and cause follicles to release eggs normally.

That's amazing! I hope further studies show similar results. 

It's funny because I've always kind of felt that I'd get pregnant eventually, perhaps even like five years or more in the future. I imagine I'll have adopted two or three children and the pregnancy will be a surprise. Now this makes me even more hopeful of that happening.

Thanks to my friend, Seanna, for sharing this study with me. We can always use some good news!

10 comments:

  1. I would totally run with that too! Great news! It almost makes me wish I had PCOS. Is that sick? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this study on soulcysters.com- how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet!! I am also going to run with the fact that these were Swedish women, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my cousin with PCOS just got pregnant...

    i know you will!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing. What a great source of encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well YAHOOOO! Maybe my 40 year old eggs aren't rotten quite yet!

    Funny thing, since about September I have had NORMAL cycles. NEVER have I had normal cycles. Ok, not so funny but paired with your post it could make sense. Well, that is gonna be my story and I am stickin to it!

    WOO thanks for that boost of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting this!! This is great news, especially for me (Being over 35 and all). Interestingly enough I first heard of Uppsala University last night in regard to something totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news. I believe it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of have that feeling about you too. I think that it will happen eventually for you, when you least expect it, just look at me. I would have never thought this in a million years. They may just be right about PCOS women...

    ReplyDelete