Saturday, June 14, 2008

A very supportive day

Well we had a very successful infertility support group meeting today. It's just so nice to be able to talk about this infertility crap with others, isn't it? I mean, I wish it was something we never needed to talk about because we were all having babies, but since this is my life for the time being, I enjoy talking about it.

I feel like I spent the whole day talking about infertility, now that I think about it. I spent tonight discussing it with two other women. I was just telling my husband that I think I currently know more people in our new city with infertility than without. Isn't that weird? We were wondering whether there are just a ton of people dealing with this or if we just keep meeting the ones who are. I think it's a little of both.

One of the women tonight also has PCOS and is having a rough time with Metformin. She is nauseous a lot, but did say it tends to happen after she eats something she's not supposed to, like carbs or sugar. Has anyone out there had any experience with this drug? Good or bad? I'm probably going to have to go on it in a couple weeks and I know this might shock you, but I HATE being nauseous. I know, I'm weird.

So for a cycle update - I am on cycle day 24, I have had dry days since my peak day seven days ago, and my temps started to go down yesterday. While it was at 98.6 just two days ago, yesterday it dropped to 98.3 and today it was at 98.0 (and I'm not trying to make excuses here, but I may have had a fever on the high temp days). I also started having a pretty sore chest yesterday and it continued today (on that subject - I'm confused..is that a good sign or a bad one? I feel like I've seen bloggers refer to both). Right now my main concern is starting my new cycle in time for my bloating to be gone by my next doctor's appointment. The scale awaits me and I need all the help I can get.

Update - This morning (Sunday) my temp was back up to 98.4. Again, not making excuses, but I did wake up earlier than normal yesterday when I took the low temp. (And, as a side note, I am not trying to prove that I am pregnant here, just that my body is acting more normally). 

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you... I know this is a hard weekend for many... I'm feeling a deep sadness today myself.

    Lifting you and all in prayer!

    Love and Prayers,
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a wretched time adjusting to Metformin.

    These are tricks I learned:

    If she hasn't already, switch to the Extended Release version. It's much easier on the system. Also, if her doctor permits, switch to taking the largest dose just before bed, so she can sleep through the worst of the effects, especially if she takes it immediately before bed and falls asleep before it kicks in. Very rarely was the nausea strong enough to wake me up from a sleep, though it did hinder FALLING asleep.

    Also, taking an acidophilus tablet with each dose really helps. Acidophilus is available at any health food store.

    Those things will help with the nausea.

    As a PCOSer she should do these things anyway, but they will really help with the diarrhea if she's also experiencing that.

    1. Switch to organic and all natural foods wherever she can afford it. With produce, some of it is just too expensive to buy organic or there isn't the variety, so she can wash them in an apple-cider vinegar and water rinse to kill the chemical residue.

    2. Avoid chemicals where she can. This means no diet sodas and foods, no artificial sweeteners, no foods with lots of preservatives and processing, etc. Some are so hard core as to say PCOSers shouldn't drink from metal cans and plastic bottles but pour everything in to a glass. I'm not that hard core but theoretically, it should help too. The basic premise is that PCOS is a chemical imbalance already, so introducing more chemicals in to the body fouls things up even more.

    3. Avoid eating lots of carbs and sugars, including alcohol. With pastas and breads, stick to whole grains but still in limited amounts.

    4. Avoid ordering raw vegetables at a restaurant (salads, etc)--the chemical wash they have to wash everything in is WICKED with metformin. I always had my WORST reactions after eating restaurant salads and stuff. Cooked veggies are fine at restaurants because the chemicals cook off. But for salads, stick to homemade.

    5. Try to take doses as far from meals as possible, if she at all can.

    6. Adding yogurt to my bedtime routine helped me out, too.

    7. Eat a high fiber diet, including lots of leafy greens.

    8. She may want to avoid taking it before long car or airplane trips, if she's really having a hard go of things. This needs to be verified with her doctor first though because if she also needs it for blood sugar reasons, skipping a dose could be bad. But for straight PCOS, skipping occasionally has been ok for me.

    I hope some of these suggestions give her some relief. It took me many many many months of trial and error and research and reading to find something that didn't completely interrupt having a normal life. I will say that my digestive system has permanently changed. There are things that I still can't eat, even when I'm off the medication. Metformin is a really tricky drug.

    You can put her in touch with me if you'd like to. I hope at least some of this helps her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on Metformin, and I didn't have any of the bad nausea s/es from it... ask if you can "build up" to your dose, though, and definately get the extended release... I think that is why I didn't get sick from it, it was gradual. When I went on T3, though, I did have stomach issues, though more of the "other end" if you know what I mean (ew). So my Dr brought me down to 1500 mgs from 2000mgs of the Met, and it has helped.

    As for the sore boobs thing (funny, when you wrote chest, I was thinking more along the lines of like chest pains, lol! I was thinking, wow, that's not good, haha!)- - it's progesterone that makes them sore. Which is why women tend to get them when the progesterone is high, and then when it declines right before your period, or the day of your period, they usually go away. However, as we know, progesterone doesn't decline in pregnancy, so if they continue longer than normal, it "could" be a good sign. But generally, they happen every month for me (though much much earlier this month, which is weird).

    HTH. I'm so inspired by your infertility group... I want to start one up in my church this summer :) What a fantastic idea! Too bad you don't live nearby, I have a feeling we'd be fast friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally encouraged and hopeful for you in your cycle these days. It seems to me that things are really normalizing and I wouldn't at all be surprised if your BFP is just around the corner.

    In the meantime, let's try and stay positive, keep giving it the old college try, and make the most of this time. I think what you are doing with the IF support group is awesome. I am not brave enough to do that on my own, that is for sure. What is your format?

    ReplyDelete