No two miscarriages are exactly alike, but these weren't terribly different. And, once again, I felt God's presence very closely throughout. Our Lady of Guadalupe was also instrumental in this pregnancy, just as she was last year. This time I got the positive test on her feast day.
We were also again blessed by the help of loved ones. We were lifted in prayer by friends and family around the country. And despite living in a new town where we know practically no one, we were still brought several meals. One generous friend came by to help with the kids and cook us dinner. And another out-of-town friend sent pizza delivery long distance and arranged for her family members who live nearby to bring us food. I was blown away by the kindness, and on a practical level it was just plain helpful. And, by the way, if anyone reading this knows someone who is miscarrying now or in the future, send them food. Just do it. Even if they throw it away, they will know they are loved.
Today was the burial service. We traveled back to Richmond for it, and Francis Mary was laid to rest just a few plots down from his (or her) sibling. What a beautiful ministry the Knights of Columbus offer. I wish all families had such an opportunity for burial - a ceremony to help with grief, the acknowledgment that your child was real and matters, a place to come visit.
No one will ever replace their siblings who aren't with us. Theirs is a void that will always be present.
So we go on (with me, in the short-term, dreading the due date of course) and we remember. I hate miscarriage, but I love my babies. And I'm thankful they were here at all.







So sorry to hear of your latest loss. My heart is heavy for you. Holding you and your beautiful family in prayer.
ReplyDeleteOh Karey my heart hurts for you. Miscarriage is so awful, it really is. Know of my prayers for you.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry, Karey. Miscarriage is terrible, but knowing our babies lived with us even a short time brings me comfort. I had my first miscarriage in 2000 (second loss -2009) and everyday I miss them. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers, so glad you have one another!
ReplyDeleteKarey-I have tears filling my eyes.....I'm so very sorry. You will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo, so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. Your story, which I have been following since just before you adopted Clara, has been such an encouragement to me as I've struggled with my own infertility. What a beautiful story has unfolded -- a testimony of God's faithfulness. Thank you for writing and sharing openly. I pray for your healing and peace in the days to come.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry :(
ReplyDeleteKarey, I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your beautiful family.
ReplyDeletePraying for you (and dreading the 1st anniversary of a due date this week myself). You captured such beautiful and poignant memories in these photos. I'm glad you've had practical support and have been surrounded by love all the way around this deep pain.
ReplyDeletePerhaps you have captured it best in the words "Theirs is a void that will always be present." And Laura Bush captured it best when she wrote "...those missing babies hover like silent ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"
We will find strength in mourning our beautiful children together. We go on and remember with you. We are praying for Ruadhán Pádraig and Francis Mary both this week, friend.
God bless you and your husband in this journey. Two miscarriages, back to back. My heart breaks for both of you!
ReplyDeleteOh, K.. I am SO desperately sorry for your loss. What an absolute heartache. Know of my prayers for your heart.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story, your faith. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss, Karey. You're right that the burial will help you in your grief. God bless the KofC for their service!
ReplyDeleteThe child that I miscarried would have celebrated his or her 10th birthday this month. I often ask that child to pray for her family here, and that is a comfort as well.
I love that you were brought meals! Thank you for continuing to bring awareness to this topic. Without our conversation, I may never have resolved to bury Gerard. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And thank you for sharing such a difficult time with me.
ReplyDeletePrayers for you and your family. May your little saints intercede for you in Heaven. God bless you. Hugs
ReplyDeleteI hate miscarriage, too. I am so very sorry! I know that having these Saints in heaven praying for us, helps somehow. Prayers for you this side of heaven.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry. Thank you for sharing your story. Prayers for you and your sweet family.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Karey. Thanks for your openness. I agree, I think pregnancy loss is unfortunately a taboo topic these days and sometimes the silence from others is deafening and hurts so very much. I hate miscarriage, but like you am grateful for my children that I hope to one day meet in Heaven.
ReplyDeleteI am so saddened to hear of your loss. Please know that you and your beautiful children are all in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so, so sorry. You're in my prayers.
ReplyDeletePrayers for you and your family. I'm glad you have friends supporting you from near and far!
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss Karey. Your words are filled with familiarity to me and I know them in my heart. My four children never had the opportunity to be buried and I often feel sad that I'm not loving them in the same way as my son here on Earth. Thanks for sharing this because it often feels that nobody remembers miscarried babies because no one will say they miss them except the mother who carried them inside herself and cannot stop loving them just because theyre gone from Earth... Nobody understands or fathoms the pain and loneliness it can bring unless she has gone through it herself.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the loss of another little one.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss. :( That KofC ministry is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for you. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I have five living children, but have miscarried four others, the most recent of which was this past November. I too, know that feeling of dread as the due date approaches, and the bittersweetness of seeing other babies that would be the same age as those I have lost. Prayers for you and your family!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry... Hugs and prayers from a "friend" in California.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to read this. I had a miscarriage last December, and I'm amazed at how painful it has been. We have not been able to have any children, and it appears that I might not be able to, so I'm sure I'm grieving that as well. I found your blog when searching adoption information, thank you for sharing all that you do. I know we aren't alone in this kind of loss, I pray for all parents experiencing pregnancy loss, and especially for understanding from others around them.
ReplyDeleteOh Karey, I'm so sorry...I was just catching up on blogs. That is so hard. You picked a beautiful name! Our last loss (Feb. 2014) was almost the same name: Francis Marie. *hugs* I hope time is helping to heal your heart.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss. <3
ReplyDeleteYour photos say just as much as the words you wrote - may God wrap you and your family in his arms as you mourn.
I'm so sorry you've had yet another loss, there are no words! So many prayers for healing and that Mary will wrap you in her arms!
ReplyDelete