My younger sister Amy needs some help, and she asked me if she could use my blog to reach out for it. Of course, it was the least I could do. I will let her tell her story, but I will say that I love her and her family very much. They are incredible people who are incredibly special to us. Regular blog readers may have seen her pop up in posts from time to time over the years, most recently when she and her husband Joe traveled nine hours to take care of me and my family when I was miscarrying. They are awesome people. The kind of people who deserve to receive as much help as they have given to me and to others.
Not only does Amy share her story below, but Joe does as well. Read them both, and then please - if you have any prayers, advice, or support you can share, do so in the comments.
Amy
I’ve sat down to journal about what is been going on with us about 5 or 6 times in the last two weeks. Every time I write, a different story is told. Whether I am in the throes of worry and pain, or having intense moments of gratitude for the bountiful blessings that we have been given…a very different picture is painted of what we have been experiencing.
This morning I am feeling intense gratitude for a number of blessings in my life, big and small. I’m grateful for my dream house that I am sitting in and for the mug of pumpkin coffee I am drinking as I write this. I am thankful for my sweet daughter that I hear singing in her bedroom as she waits patiently for us to tell her it is time to get up. I am grateful for the happy sounds I hear coming from my son’s crib. I am grateful that my husband, Joe, happens to be the strongest man I know, who takes such better care of our family that I ever could have dreamed. Over the last 2 weeks, our lives have completely changed in so many unthinkable ways…and it is safe to say, we were not prepared for any of them. Well, I suppose we have always been preparing for this…we just didn’t know it at the time.
Almost two weeks ago, my 21 month old son Joey was diagnosed with autism. Although the days and nights spent crying almost nonstop have been replaced by shorter bouts of occasional tears, my eyes still well up every single time I speak or write those words.
God sure does work in mysterious ways. I mean, when I applied to Syracuse University 17 years ago, I knew I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. I was immediately enrolled in the Elementary and Special Education Program. "But I don’t want to be a special education teacher," I said. "That’s not how it works here," I was told. "You will get dual-certification because we prepare our teachers to work with all types of students."
Despite the fact that my program at SU completely changed my life and the way I would forever view education, I still had no idea what I was being prepared for.
When I was 27 years old, I met my husband. I was basically single my entire life until we crossed paths. I am now completely certain why my life played out the way it did. God did not want anyone else getting in the way. This man was undoubtedly meant to be by my side during this lifetime…I’ve always known this, but after the last two weeks, there is absolutely no question in my mind.
Early on in our relationship, we spent four of our happiest years together in California, experiencing so many new things and learning to depend on each other being totally on our own. But after we had our daughter four years ago, we started to have this nagging feeling like we needed to move back to New York…we knew it was time to be closer to our families again. Only now is it completely clear how important that move really was.
As I am sure you can probably guess, shock, deep sadness, fear, and worry don’t even begin to describe the range of emotions we felt as we’ve dealt with this diagnosis. I feel like I have so much to say and I don't know where to start and I feel like I don't have the time to get it all out. But so far, the only thing that has gotten us through this has been the unimaginable support of those around us and being able to talk about it.
So I also have felt completely compelled to write about it publicly, for a number of reasons.
1) My sister Karey’s blog is followed by many faith-filled and prayerful people and I am looking for as many prayers as possible in this moment. Prayers for Joey and his continued development during this critical early intervention time. Prayers for Joe and me to be filled with the grace of God and to have strength to continue moving forward finding the best services, therapists, programs, etc. for our son and being the best advocates that we can possibly be. Prayers for Caleigh…that she can find her own balance of understanding and loving her brother, and sticking up for him and wanting to care for him and protect him…while always knowing that we support her living her own life and pursuing her own dreams and not feeling held back…that she does not become the forgotten child who resents her brother due to how much of our time he inevitably will consume. Prayers that we can find just the right balance as parents that both of our children grow up feeling loved and supported and most of all, happy.
So thank you in advance for all the prayers!
2) For the same reason, I know Karey has hundreds (maybe thousands?) of followers around the world, and I am fairly certain that some of them will probably have amazing resources, contacts, articles, books, or stories of their strength, experiences, and hope for me as we pursue options for Joey. We are open to anything at this point. The more public with our experience that we go, the more resources we can learn about, then the better it will be for Joey.
3) I also am finding it incredibly difficult to break this news to people, one on one. I have started to move to a place of acceptance and no longer cry nonstop. Yet each time I tell someone for the first time, I break down, especially when they naturally become emotional about it. Even envisioning myself telling the story to different people makes me cry…every. single. time. It took me almost a week to talk to my own family about it. I still haven’t told many of my best friends. But I am finding that, once it is out in the open, I am okay. I am able to talk about this rationally and logically, and without tears, for the most part.
4) And probably the biggest reason I am writing about this publicly - we need support. Plain and simple. I think I need people to know about this situation we are going through because we can’t go through it alone. I am terrified that people are going to start hearing this news and will privately share it with one another and will talk about it without me there. I won’t know who knows about it, but inevitably people will find out. They might think they shouldn’t know or shouldn’t talk to me about it. Or they might not know what to say. But I am here stating that I WANT you to ask about my son. I WANT you to ask how we are doing. I don’t want this to be some secret, private thing that people are afraid to talk to me about. I’m going to need to talk about it in order to make sense of it all…so I’m here to tell you, PLEASE ASK.
It’s amazing how your life and its trajectory can completely change in one single minute, and at the same time, be exactly the same as it was just before. It is such a paradox. My son is the same child. Nothing happened to him as Joe and I sat around a giant conference table at the Yale University Child Study Center, hearing life-changing news. When we came out of that room, there he sat, eating goldfish and looking up at us with a bright smile, deliriously happy to see us. Our sweet boy, with the same strengths and weaknesses that he’d always had…yet somehow that meeting changed everything.
Well, I should say, it was only OUR lives that have changed dramatically in the last two weeks.
We know more about autism than we ever thought possible, since we have spent every waking second researching on the internet, reading books, and visiting local schools.
I now understand and believe in the power of intensive early intervention therapies and that we need to do absolutely anything to get the best for our son, whether that means me leaving my job to be home more, moving somewhere where those resources are available, or becoming certified in some of these intensive therapies myself.
We truly realize the power of family and friends. It has been hard to talk about what we’ve been going through, but to those we have been able to reach out to for support, we have been blown away by the love and understanding we have been shown.
The fear when thinking about the future is indescribable…so we have forbidden ourselves from focusing on that for now, as much as we can avoid it anyway. One day at a time.
I doubt my strength and resolve to do this, every single day. We are on a roller coaster that is exhausting...and I am not sure how long I can endure the ride. And it just started. To say I feel overwhelmed does not cover it. But everyone keeps saying to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and just do it…so I guess I will for Joey.
We go back and forth between acceptance and denial daily, though each day we move closer to that place of acceptance. Some may think that researching different treatments might be a sign that I am in denial… And honestly, I am okay with that for now. My denial is not preventing me from doing what is best for my son. If my denial made me continue my life as it has always been, then I would say it would be harmful. But I am not acting like he is a typical child... We are doing everything we possibly can for him, as recommended by the specialists at the Yale child study center where he received the diagnosis.
As a special education teacher, I’ve always been an advocate for students with special needs and ensuring that they get the best education possible. It’s always been incredibly important to me as a teacher that all children learn to treat one another with kindness and respect. But that has been brought to a whole new level now. It is so much more personal.
Our long-term goals, in a single instant, have been altered. I was a few months away from getting my certificate to be a school administrator. Those plans are now indefinitely put on hold, as that career path is no longer in line with what is best for my family. Just a couple of days before we left for Yale, I was planning my internship for the spring semester. How quickly things can change.
I have an intense appreciation and gratitude that my children are safe, healthy and happy. While this diagnosis is unquestionably life-altering, it is not life-ending. There are many other diagnoses that parents get every day for their children that are a million times more challenging than autism…and the gravity of that is not lost on me.
Ways that my Joey is still exactly the same boy: He loves to giggle and snuggle and play with his sister more than anything else in the world. He loves jumping in his crib and playing peek-a-boo. He is a great eater and a great sleeper. He absolutely loves Poppa, my 90-year-old grandfather. He loves to snuggle on him and always has his eye on him. And the feeling is mutual. He loves to pet and chase Frankie Moons. He still can’t talk yet (though this week, with new strategies from the specialists at Yale, we FINALLY got him to be able to consistently sign the word “more” independently!!!). He is loved unconditionally by his grandparents and all of his aunts and uncles and cousins…and basically everyone who knows him. He has the best smile and laugh you could ever imagine. Everyone constantly comments on how sweet he is. You can truly see it in his eyes, even though he has never uttered one word.
One of my biggest struggles in life and with my faith has been acceptance. I grapple with it - accepting God's will for me and accepting those around me. Saying the serenity prayer is an integral part of my every day routine. However when I think about the serenity prayer – "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference," there is a section about having the courage to change the things I can. Why not do absolutely everything I can for my son during this time when his brain is able to develop the most?
I ACCEPT that my son has a severe disability that will most likely impact the rest of his life.
I have the COURAGE, or at least I'm struggling to find the courage, necessary to research the best therapies and to develop more of my time working one-on-one directly with him to increase his engagement and social interaction in order for him to learn how to imitate better. All major research shows that it makes a difference.
As time goes on, I will develop the WISDOM to know what therapies are best…and also the insight about what parts of my son are just going to be who he is.
I just don't want to have too much acceptance, where I let a label define that.
I don't want a label to let us to make excuses for my son…that he is able to do something or is not able to do something, because he has autism. I don't want acceptance to let us rest on our laurels too much. What if it was a misdiagnosis and we just said, oh well that is because he has autism, so we can't expect him to be able to do that. Think of how much time will be lost where progress could have been made.
Don't mistake this for false hope. I love my son for who he is and what he is able to do today. I will let him show me the way. I will get to know him even more closely over the next two years than I have over his first 21 months. I will spend less time on my phone and less time working. I will spend more time at home and more time interacting. That can't be a bad thing. So in some ways, I am thankful for this diagnosis. It is going to make me be a better mother to my son.
Everyone who has been through this tells us that having a child with autism is, in fact, much like a rollercoaster. The highs are going to be higher and the lows are going to be much lower…and no part of this will be easy. But we’re choosing to focus on the fact that nothing has changed. My son is still the same sweet boy he always was…and God has done all he can to prepare us for this journey, together.
*********
Joe
Being told that your son has autism, by someone who isn’t invested in your life, is a difficult moment to describe. Here is this professional at Yale, one of the top Autism research facilities in the nation, telling you your son has Autism, as just a matter of fact. For you, you feel like your life just changed. The expectations that you had of your son going to a regular preschool like his sister, high school, college, marriage, kids, grand-kids...your son learning to be a man who protects and cares for his family the way that you were taught by your father and your grandfather….they disappear in that second. They are replaced by fear, sadness, and a variety of emotions that the written word can’t even describe. Those emotions are then replaced by doubt and disbelief. OK, I heard you, professional at Yale, but I don’t believe you. Do you see my son? Do you see this sweet boy who runs to me with outstretched arms? Do you not see his eyes? How he looks into your soul, with this sweet caring understanding of you. Do you hold him tight in your arms, when he is scared? Do you comfort him when he is sick? NO! You don’t do any of that, so I know him. You don’t.
When we left Yale, the three-and-a-half-hour drive home could only be compared to how I imagine it feels to be locked in a box and wanting to scream for help. Here we were, three-and-a-half hours away from anyone who cared, driving through traffic, taking wrong turns because Amy and I were too busy fighting away tears than paying attention to signs or traffic. What do we do now? My first reaction was shock, then it turned to hope. We’re working with Yale. Yale shows an interest in my son’s development. Can we ask for more? The drive home was filled with every emotion possible. Our minds raced in a million different directions. But our main goal was to get home, hug our daughter and hold our family tight in our arms.
That night when we put the kids to bed, I kept reassuring myself that “nothing changed.” Joey is the exact same boy now, as he was a few hours ago. Autism? What is that anyway? So he will have some delays, no big deal. Amy is an amazing teacher, surely she can cure this, right? I mean…everything has a cure, doesn’t it? I am the type of person who thinks that way, in every single avenue of life. I feel there is nothing that I can’t handle.
So the research began. I think I read more articles on autism that first night than I can even count. A common theme I was reading was that Autism can be reversible if caught at an early age. YES!!!!! That’s what I needed to hear. I can do anything in life. I don’t fail, I refuse to. Autism, looks like you messed with the wrong family. I know Amy won’t give up…she’ll fight you, and I’ll take you on. Looks like you met your match.
I had so much hope going to bed, it was really nice. I was still emotional, but in a “the hell with this, let’s go! You want some of this Autism, you just got it!”
That night, I went to sleep around 11:30. I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn’t stop crying. I mean, literally, couldn’t stop myself. I laid in bed for an hour, sobbing, uncontrollably. Finally, around 3:30, I went out to our kitchen, sat on our bench and stared out the window. Cried some more, then some more. I couldn’t stop the thoughts that were haunting me. When Amy and I first started talking about having children, I remember my goals as a father for myself. Make sure you raise him to be strong, independent, caring, hard-working. Make sure he values his family…being faithful to his wife and above all…protecting everyone he loves.
In a few seconds at Yale, those goals were replaced with fear, a very real fear in my head. Will my son die alone? Will I lay on my death bed someday and look into his eyes and know that when Amy and I are gone, and our parents have long since passed, our sisters gone...what is to become of my only son? I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Will he be in an assisted living home, by himself...alone? Alone forever?
I know, as I type this, that those thoughts could not even be close to what Joey experiences in his life. It is a fact, that if caught at this age, a lot of therapy can really improve his ability to learn and adapt. I also know that the following Monday morning I was on the phone with every professional I could find, every single person who knows about autism was contacted and a plan is being put together to best help Joey. I know I won’t let this affect me for much longer. Amy and I are going to fight for what is best for our son…it’s what we do, we don’t give up. We will fight for Joey harder than we have ever fought for anything in our lives. He will become the best Joey possible and God has a plan for us all, we know this and soon I will embrace it and be the champion he needs me to be.
My family is a gift from God. Starting with my wife. She is the most caring, compassionate person I know. I am so blessed to have her, through this journey and every other we have been on and will go on in the future. My daughter – she is amazing. Funny, smart, beautiful, as caring and compassionate as her mother, but as cocky and know-it-all as her father. My son is the best. He laughs deep belly laughs that would make even the most hardened and sad on this earth smile.
Hope is an interesting word. By definition it means “a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.” I find this interesting because I really don’t have a desire for a certain thing to happen. I have a desire for us to get all the help that is needed for our son to progress as far as he possibly can. I have a desire for him to continue to smile and laugh as much as he does. I have a desire for my daughter to accomplish everything in life that she is meant to accomplish and for her to always make me laugh and smile. I have a desire for our family to continue to learn from all of this and be better from it. So, when I read the definition of hope, I have no certain thing that I want to happen, but a list of things that perhaps could happen. Really, I have learned, it is all in God’s hands. If we find all the tools necessary for Joey to succeed, then perhaps he will, but also, perhaps he won’t as we once imagined. But it’s all going to be great. This is a journey that we are on. This trip isn’t drastically different from the journey we were on before, but now it is more focused. There are more gas stations and pit stops, maybe a detour here and there, but we will put a map together, follow it and re-route when needed.
The strange thing about this trip is that our map doesn’t have a final destination. We know that wherever we end up, is the place where God wanted us to be. Along the way, we stop for food, play games, read, laugh, and love each other. When we get to where God wants us to go, we look back and smile at what an amazing trip it was. Filled with laughter, learning, love and just a great fun trip we all took together. The car is not just filled with the four of us, but all of you as well. It is filled with friends, family, professionals and everyone we love in this world. We are so blessed to be surrounded by so much love in our community, so many friends and family. We want everyone to come along for this ride…and enjoy it as much as we will.









My heart and prayers are with you. If you are near Connecticut College in New London, please see if they still have their early intervention program. My sweet cousin, now 17 , spent two years in a program there as a toddler after his diagnosis. The changes were remarkable and literally an answer to prayer. Our family can never give them enough thanks.
ReplyDeleteMy youngest son (age 3) has Down syndrome. As he's grown, I've gotten to know more members of the autism community, as well. I love the facebook community and blog Diary of a Mom (Start here: https://adiaryofamom.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/welcome-to-the-club/). Prayers for you and your family as you adjust to this new normal. Your kids are both adorable. :)
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers! A new diagnosis is so overwhelming. I'm a Children's Hospital Parent. There is really intense grief and panic that comes along with a new diagnosis. Care for yourself gently during this time. Grief is work. Have a lot of trust. "You make the path by walking it." It's amazing that you have a strong marriage and a loving older sibling for your handsome guy.
ReplyDeletePraying so hard for sweet Joey and your family. Your words are so eloquently and courageously written. Will pray for the intercession of St.Nicolas, with his great love for children.
ReplyDeletehe is your son . he is no different then he was he is just special he will make it in the world in his own way . brents son has this we found out when he was 5 years old think god you know now. I a sound hard but you are a teacher be there for him. let him be a boy he is not dieing he has autism . there aree people out there for you use them . my grandson is the same boy he was before we found out he had this he will be what you make him . he will do what every other boy does go to school collage if he wants marry some day . GIVE him the chance he is young. I see boys that can not talk and have gone to collage . go on facebook there is a group to talk to and there is a meeting at the meth church once a month as sandy mallet she knows the lady it will help you. he is still your son let him be your son. pam and brent
ReplyDeleteI am praying for your family. I have a 24 year old son with autism. He was not diagnosed until age 5, so he didn't receive some of the early intervention that might have been helpful. Nevertheless, he is now working part-time, driving, going to community college and living on his own. I would have never predicted that any of these things would be possible. I encourage you to check out the ABC Center in Winston-Salem, NC to learn what they are doing and to see if you can find a similar facility near you.
ReplyDeleteI am going to pray for you and your family. God has amazing plans for you. The future is bright!
ReplyDeleteI am a reader from Portugal. I will pray for you and hope you find consolation in God's love: be confident your son, your family, are God's favourites.
ReplyDeleteAlso would like to tell you the following: some time ago my daughters' swimming teacher (who also works with children with special needs) accidentaly told me about a specific center in Israel which was something like the best in the world for autism. I had never thought about that after that day, but I just made a quick search and found it. Check it out: http://www.alutfriends.org/ I remember she told there was a special program for children and parents, both in the center and at home. Hope it helps.
Praying.
My son was diagnosed in July, just 2 months before his 3rd birthday. I have so many thoughts about autism. I have been so very thankfuk for Kaitlin from More Like Mary, More Like Me, as she has been a huge help and support over the last year as we suspected but did not get have the diagnosis. Have Karey give you my info. I would love to chat and cry together
ReplyDeletePrayers sent. I love you Amy! You need anything, I am here for you. Heather
ReplyDeleteWill most certainly be praying for Joey. I can definitely relate to the feelings that you and your husband are experiencing right now. About 7 years ago, my husband and I were told that our son was on the spectrum and we were devastated. Like you, we started to research therapies and alternatives. Over the course of the first year, we began to work with a pediatric neurologist who had a holistic approach to treatment. She in turn introduced us to a nutritionist. After several tests, it was determined that our son had alot of food allergies that were placing his body in a constant state of inflamation. He also ate alot of processed foods and the chemicals were interfering with regular brain development. We decided to switch our son to an organic diet and removed the foods he was allergic to. We also added a number of supplements to his diet. The change within a couple of weeks was dramatic. My son who barely talked was speaking. I don't know what your son's particular circumstances are or where you live, but there are therapies that work. You just need to keep looking and not lose hope. My son is almost 10. He has completely recovered. You would never know he had any issues as a child. The pediatric neurologist we used has an office in Riverdale, New York. If you would like more information. I would be happy to give you her name and contact information.
ReplyDeleteOh my. Thank you for sharing in so much honesty. I have a couple close friends with sons with autism. One is almost ready to graduate high school and go to college. He is a brilliant young man that is a very gift piano player. He is a gift to all those around him! My other friend's son is 4 and goes to a preschool for children with autism. The progress has been amazing. But he is the same sweet little boy as we way before he was diagnosed. In fact, my daughter calls him her best friend. :)
ReplyDeleteMy youngest son has autism. In his case it is high functioning and he is a perfectly normal 20 year old man - until he's not. I could tell you about the things we did that worked and the hardships and pitfalls and all that but this is the thing that matters most to me: he is fearfully and wonderfully made and I would not change A THING about him. It has been a blessing to be his mother - his ambassador to the world and the world's ambassador to him. I love seeing the world through his eyes. I love his blatant honesty. I love that he comes to me with questions about relationships - girls really confuse him. And now his on again/off again girlfriend is expecting a baby and I have tagged along to all the doctor visits in order to coach him on appropriate behavior and responses for a "baby daddy". He hasn't quite found his career path yet but he loves woodworking and he is always ready and willing to help my parents maintain their large home and acreage. He has been the biggest blessing in my life and many days, my main reason for living. Prayers and hugs! Heather
ReplyDeleteYears ago - in a column by Ann Landers there was an article that was written by a person whose child was diagnosed with an affliction. I believe it may have been Downs' Syndrome. The article said that having this diagnosis was like planning a trip to a country in Europe, researching the weather, the customs, the regulations to enter the country, the cost of the flight, the hotels, etc. Then, embarking on the trip and landing in a city in Asia ... where none of the research mattered.
ReplyDeleteI look at the photos of your family, especially of Joey and I see a blessing from God the Most High. I see a little boy that is going to teach you things that you never thought you would learn. I see a family pulling together and growing stronger because Joey is going to be your shining star!
Austism ... a word - Joey - a beloved brother and son, much more valued than any single word that might be part of who is but definitely not all of who he is.
I am confident, from reading your posts Mom and Dad that you all will be just wonderfully fine. I shall hold you in my prayers as you journey through this new city - one you never expected to visit in your planning and research. To God be the glory.
Praying for your family!
ReplyDeleteI just finished a book that could be vitally important to all families with an ASD diagnosis: Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller. The book is subtitled Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder. Based on this book, there is a 78% co-occurrence of autism with SPD. For example, ever know a child who is super particular about the textures of clothing or food? Sounds always too loud or lights too bright? These are signs of an over-responsive SPD (some or all of the five senses are magnified for the child). Ever know a child who literally plows through life, running over children though not maliciously? Could be signs of an under-responsive SPD (sensory output is muted in contrast with a typically developing child so child craves more "impact" with environment).
ReplyDeleteGood news, though SPD are complicated, therapy for the whole family appears to be greatly beneficial. This book provides a pretend case study of each SPD and then tips for navigating such a diagnosis. An invaluable tool.
Many prayers for you and for all parents negotiating these waters.
First, my heart goes out to you and your family. My son, who will turn 3 at the end of December, was diagnosed with Autism over the summer. We understand where you are at. Second, breathe. He is going to be ok. You already know that your son is perfect just the way he is. He is how God created him, for you, and he is going to be okay. And so is your daughter.
ReplyDeleteYour story sounds just like mine. We still go through the emotional ups and downs, bouncing back and forth from "he is normal" to "no, he is definitely on the spectrum". The truth is we are not going to know what this is going to look like for a while, so in the meantime we do all that we can. There is a mourning that happens, my husband experiences still. I think mothers go into "Momma bear protection mode" much quicker. It is ok to mourn the dreams you had that may change, you'll make new dreams and they will be amazing. Your life will change but it is wonderful. I cry at every little thing my son does new because I know how much harder it is for him. He doesn't know it though, he is just the way he is.
My most important advice: trust your gut. If you think something is not right, it is probably not. Also, keep talking to your husband but understand he probably sees things very different than you. We signed my son up for horse therapy at a time when my husband could take him (to help bond and participate in therapy since I do all of it as a SAHM). My son had such a hard time with my husband, so I took him and he did awesome. I remember my husband coming home upset and frustrated. He vented, complaining about therapy not working, he should be farther along, he was hitting (which he never does). He was also mourning the fact that his son is different and the fantasy he had will probably never be. The entire time I was (in my head) criticizing him; he should have done this, he should have done that, if he spent more time with him, it was all my husbands fault! Fortunately, I didn't say any of that outloud! I quietly thought how we could make it better, and if that meant I do it all, then so be it. But that is just it: I don't do it all. He does a lot and I need to acknowledge that in him because as a man he feels like he is failing at taking care of his sons needs sometimes. The best thing I did was listen and support my husband and his feelings that night.
As far as resources, the best book I read was not about autism at all. It was about childhood apraxia of speech. "The Late Talker" by Dr. Agin and Lisa Geng. Apraxia (a neurological disorder where the brain can't get the mouth to say words) often times goes hand in hand with ASD. This book is great if he has a speech delay. Also, to go along with speech delay, we love the Baby Signing Time dvds. My son watched them only for a long time, and all of a sudden he started saying the words and signing them too (yay fine motor skills)! The songs are very cute and the words are helpful words (more, eat, drink, sock, shoes, all done, animals, car, train, etc). And my 18 month old is signing too now! It takes time though. My son watches everything before he does anything. He watched the "Charlotte's Web" movie with the real animals (over and over) and eventually began saying their names. Now he is into Toy Story and it is neat to watch how he has grown in his play because of the modeling in there.
Hang in there! It is very overwhelming, but you are going to be fine. It is the rest of the world that will need to change. You do what you have to do for your family and everyone else will just have to deal. He was fearfully and wonderfully made and he is perfect. You'll figure it out because you love him. He is in great hands. Feel free to email me if you'd like. I could use more support myself! myheartexults@gmail.com
Hi- I would like to request prayers for the victims of rape and abuse by members of the Catholic Church. Many of them were children when they were attacked or abused. This is also an ongoing crisis, with new victims each year, worldwide. I will remember them and their stories forever, but for the healing to truly take place, it will take the voices and efforts of many. To paraphrase a poem by an Indian schoolgirl, "Too many Catholics, in too many countries, speak the same language-- of silence." Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI would say that your rant has nothing at all to do with this post.
DeleteChimakuni referenced this letter.. it's very sweet: http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html
ReplyDeleteI wish I had wonderful and bold advice. I don't What I can say is parenting is hard... we need prayer in our life and I am sure your sister understands it. Also, perspective in years to come help us make sense of God's hand i our life.
I will pray for your sister and her family.
Thank you so much for sharing this and putting it out there for us to read. I am one of those professionals who sit across from parents and tell them the things you were told. To read your reaction and your struggles is so helpful to me. It makes me want to be even more compassionate and tender and gentle than I already try to be. I've worked with therapists who were trained at Yale and am part of similar research at another University. I can assure you that starting intervention at 21 months is AWESOME! Praise God that you found out so early and are so willing to fight from the very beginning. I will pray for your strength and resolve to do what you know is best for your son and for the professionals you'll be working with. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to shoot me an email.
ReplyDeleteOur son has special needs that combined mimic autism. And one of our foster sons has significant needs yet to be diagnosed. We will pray for you and your lovely family! It's been almost 4 years since we began the special needs journey with our boy and while there are still moments of sadness for us--there are so many more moments of joy! We trust God that Ian will be the best Ian he can be and love the ways that Ian is so very amazing. The best advice I could offer is to trust God, trust your own instincts as a Mum, try not to listen to everyone who who has an opinion, and enjoy the small miracles that will happen every day.
ReplyDeleteI was going to write what "My Heart Exults", but she did it much better, so I'll just add this one thought: You knew something wasn't right. That is why you had him tested. Now you are just shocked. But when the shock wears off, there is relief to the name. Now you know for sure that you aren't crazy, or a bad parent. His issues have a name. And that means help. I have 3 sons with autism, 22, 16 and 9. They are all different and received different treatment. Research, start a path, switch paths and don't worry about long term. All those things you mentioned that are now lost? Not necessarily. Live in this moment. It is easy to have those obvious parental expectations for neuro typical: grow up, be a high school star student/athlete, go to a good college, get a good job and be married with children. That can still happen for children with autism. It will just be more work for you, especially now when he can't advocate for himself. If you have invested all that time into an administrator, can you work with the program to see if you can finish? The Lord may be asking you to help with a special autism school down the road that will need you to have those skills. If he ends up in a applied behavior environment, you won't need to be there all day everyday. In fact, it would be quite helpful for you not to be. Please assured of my prayers. It is never easy to hear those words. But that is true for every parent who gets any type of "words". And please know that it will get better. It won't be easy, but the Lord never promised it would be. Stay close to the sacraments and prayer. The Lord gave you this phenomenal child, He will give you the grace to parent him. Good Luck and God bless you!
ReplyDeleteIt was beautiful to read your words and I just wanted to take a minute to share with you a little about my experience raising a child with special needs. My daughter is 14 and was diagnosed with Down syndrome the day she was born. I experienced many of the emotions that you are facing now, although each person has a unique journey. No matter the challenges you face, just know that God will guide you and that the biggest thing you can do for your child (actually, for any child) is to never set limits on what they can achieve. I have found that when you discover what your child is passionate about and give them the opportunity to be involved, you will be so blessed by all the things that happen. My daughter attends Catholic school, dances and has been in over 16 musical theater shows. I am amazed at what she has accomplished and the people who have supported her throughout the journey. She has touched more lives and taught me more than I could ever teach her. You will be amazed at the people you meet on your journey and the way your son will bless other people. Be gentle with yourself and let the Holy Spirit guide you......... I thank God every single day that He blessed me with my daughter.
ReplyDeleteMany blessings!
We may be at the same place…here is my recent blog post about our Wesley. Hugs and prayers. You have a special and wonderful family that God knit together for a reason. These boys have great lives ahead of them. http://www.rachelshumor.com
ReplyDeleteStumbling across your post is no coincedence! :) Please read this book... Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia
ReplyDelete1 Cor 6:19 this verse motivated me to treat my temple/infertility naturally (along with a laundry list of related underlying causes including depression/anxiety) and that's how I came across the book. I changed my lifestyle completely & went paleo lifestyle to focus on eating nutrient dense food/non-synthetic supplements with primal blueprint exercise that would heal my gut i.e. all my symptoms. In less than a year after going paleo all of my symptoms reduced significantly, a few disappeared completely after a couple of weeks (no medical intervention needed!) & after 23 months of TTC we got a most delightful surprise. We're very early in our pregnancy but I know that this was only possible after my hubby and I discerned God wanted us to go natural, not even what is approved by the church. Our bodies are divinely fashioned by our creator & that gave me all the faith to believe that if I did my part God could heal me! God bless you & guide you! You'll be in my prayers :) -Makarios