Or I could post again sometime in 2015. It could honestly go either way.
I was also about to transfer about a gazillion iphone photos from my phone to my laptop to share with you all, and then I remembered that lazy thing. I also remembered they're already up on my instagram. No need to expend any extra time and energy doubling up on social media sharing. So check it out if you want to see our daily life in the District.
And that means you're stuck with the few images I've taken on my big camera. Like this one...
That's our hotel-like bedroom (but with our comforter). Seriously people, I could get used to this bedroom furniture thing. There's a dresser and two night stands!!! I feel so grown up here.
It is like a hotel. It is completely furnished, down to the towels and linens. Or are towels actually linens? I don't know, but you get the picture. There was toilet paper and dish soap and little shampoos and even tooth paste when we got here. There are plates and utensils and pots and pans. Although I did have to buy a whisk today. They aren't perfect.
The kids love it here. They enjoy looking in the windows of the building across the street (the "worker building," according to Luke) and run to the windows every time they hear a siren below. They get to ride in an elevator every day (who am I kidding... I never leave the house/apartment every day) and fight over who gets to the push the buttons. It's so cute.
Although they are slowly starting to become less than enthused about all the walking we do. For Ryan and me, the fact that everything is walkable is the best part. We're all about being city dwellers, walking to Mass, to dinner, to the Whole Foods (don't be fooled - it's our closest grocery store so we just make quick runs there while throwing our money away; and they have amazing apple fritters). But our double stroller only seats two and the odd man out (usually Clara, since she's my best walker), grows weary very quickly.
Like the day we walked to the White House.
It was hot, and five city blocks is longer than you think, for a kid. And they might have thought the park in front of Pennsylvania Avenue was going to have a playground. Which it did not.
But they were excited to see the much-talked-about president's home. Although Luke was perplexed as to why there needed to be two fences between us and it. I told him it was to keep the president safe, which he did not easily accept. What did he need to be kept safe from? Later on he and Clara together decided it was lions and tigers.
One place they're always up for walking to is the playground, which is just two blocks away.
That makes it sound like we go all the time. They, technically, are always up for a walk there, but due to a combination of my low energy and irrational fears of ebola, we've only been once. In my defense, though, watching three kids at a playground is hard. Right? You can't possibly see them all at all times and that means momentary freak-outs on my part. Not good for my adrenals.
We had some visitors last weekend, that we were all very excited about.
Clara took the move very hard. In fact, she was just sobbing once again tonight about leaving all her friends behind. So it was very cool that she got to spend an entire day with one of her best friends, who requested a visit to the city for his birthday. How cute is that?
So, what else? Well, Ryan loves his new job. And I seriously cannot believe his hours. For the last seven years (and even more before that), he has worked afternoon until midnight. That's been our life, and I figured that would always be our life, with him working in TV news. But he now works days. Days, people! Bankers' hours! He also works some early mornings (like tomorrow, which is why I found time to blog since he's fast asleep next to me), and he'll be traveling a lot. Just as my good fortune at his amazing hours hasn't sunk in, neither has the realization that he'll be gone for days at a time. But we'll deal with that when it comes. And in the meantime, pray for no hurricanes.
Oh, and I can't leave out house-hunting, which takes up most of my time lately. This has got to be one of the worst places to look for a home in the world. Of course, the commutes are ridiculous here, and expensive doesn't even begin to describe it. But we're plugging along, going to see homes for rent, and praying that St. Joseph comes through.
Now I'm all caught up, and I will be back. I'm not sure if that's a promise or a threat. I'll leave that up to you.





I am from Fairfax county and my mom is in Haymarket and I can't believe how expensive it is. even for a townhouse! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI have followed your blog since way before Clara. I am so glad for the blessings in your family! Thanks for sharing your blog. Kelly, adoptive mom of 2 and praying for more
ReplyDeletePraying for stamina for your house hunting efforts. Thank you for sharing your move with us ... and I want to go and live in the hotel!!!
ReplyDeleteHi! I am asking Catholics and others to sign this very important petition, set up by the survivors' network, SNAP. There is a lot more information available on their website, too. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteUSCCB - "Stop the legal bullying!"
As the head of America' Catholics, we urge you to publicly denounce, and stop, the bullying tactics used by bishops and church defense lawyers against those seeking help from the support group SNAP, including victims of abuse by clerics, witnesses, whistleblowers, police, prosecutors and journalists.
Sign here: http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_petition?recruiter_id=35411
I have 3 siblings and Andrew has 4 siblings out in NOVA. We dream about moving that way some day but it is way too expensive unless we win the lottery
ReplyDeleteI admit it, I've been stalking your blog, dying to get this exact update! You are always such a good writer, giving us all those little details we have come to expect!:)
ReplyDeleteEven though I am not a city girl, you make it look like so much fun! I love all those pics of the kids, they all look like they are just thriving.
Yay for Ryan's new job, for all these wonderful life changes, and all that the future holds for your family! Prayers have been, and are being answered! Thanks Be to God.
So happy to see your blog back up!
ReplyDeleteI love DC! One of my favorite cities... enjoy~!