Does Prometrium give you headaches? Man, I have had a dull headache for days now. And constant, yet slight, nausea. Neither is bad enough to incapacitate me, just annoy.
I had my peak +7 blood draw today, which I had to ask my doctor for. It makes sense to see what my levels are while taking progesterone, does it not? Anyways, I was at the lab and started chatting with the woman doing my draw. On a side note, I love all the women at this lab. They are so sweet and after going three times a month for nearly a year, we've gotten to know each other a little. I even overheard one woman say to another today, while discussing my blood draw order, that I am in there all the time. I thought that was funny.
So I got talking to the woman drawing my blood and she asked how I figure out when peak +7 is (it always specifies that on the order). I told her all about Creighton and mucus and then she told me that she suffered from secondary infertility. And, like me, she has PCOS.
Her story is wild. She had a son, then tried for another and gave up after several years. She said she came to terms with the idea that she was meant to have only one child. Then, eleven years later, out of the blue, she conceived her daughter. Then, a few months after giving birth to her, she was surprised to discover she was pregnant again, this time with twins. Unfortunately, she miscarried them at ten weeks. Following the miscarriage she went on birth control. Six months later, she went to the doctor complaining of excruciating back pain. They gave her pain pills and an MRI. Well, lo and behold, the MRI revealed she was pregnant. And she was five months along! I told her she should be on the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant"!
So a woman who had come to terms with her inability to conceive, ends up conceiving three more times, including once on birth control. I thought that was just bizarre, and an example that you never know what God has in store for you.
We talked all about insulin resistance, losing weight, the G.I. Diet and Metformin. She even took notes about what food to buy (she doesn't want to conceive again, she just wants to lose weight, which insulin resistance makes very difficult).
And then before I left she looked right at me and said, "You will be pregnant. This year. Claim it. Think positively. It's going to happen. You're going to have a baby in your arms."
Someone saying that usually annoys me, but for some reason this didn't. Maybe because she, too, suffers from PCOS. Maybe because she knew the heartache of infertility at one time in her life (although coming from someone with several children usually would still annoy me). Or maybe because I know it's true - I should think positively.
I think I'm in a healthy-enough place now where I can hope for a pregnancy and not let it drive me nuts. It may happen and it may not. If it doesn't, that's okay, because I only want God's will to be done. But, in the meantime, there's nothing wrong with hoping that what you hope for also happens to be God's will.
I have much more to write, in particular an entire post that came to me in adoration this morning. But this headache is making concentrating nearly impossible. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow. Before I go, though, I want to leave you with something that another blogger, Tradertif, left in a comment on one of my recent posts. I've been thinking about it ever since I first read it:
"We should use God's gifts of creation however they help us in achieving the end for which we were created, and we ought to rid ourselves of whatever gets in the way of our purpose. In order to do this we must make ourselves indifferent to all creation, to the extent that we do not desire health more than sickness, riches more than poverty, honor more than dishonor, a long life more than a short life, or anything at all in and of itself. We should desire and choose only what helps us attain the end for which we were created. "
That is why I'm on HCG because of the horrible side effects of progesterone. I HATE THAT STUFF ALL FORMS!!!!
ReplyDeleteDid you get your package? Lori got hers, just wanted to make sure you got yours. :)
K how cool was that conversation??!!? I definitely take it as a positive sign!
ReplyDeleteI start taking progesterone (vaginally, eeek!) tomorrow. I'm a little scared now that I've read your post and Sew's comment!
I think there's definitely something to positive thinking. I just recently talked myself out of being sick, haha. :) I've also heard of visually thinking about whatever goal it is that you want to achieve. I think it is so true that the mind and body are connected in more ways then we know.
ReplyDeleteThat quote was beautiful!
It's nice to have caregivers who have been there - how nice that she shared her story with you. Sorry about the headaches and nausea; I hope they go away soon.
ReplyDeleteHi Allyouwhohope,
ReplyDeletejust wanted to share my story and give you some encouragement. I too have PCOS, and was featured this season on "i didn't know i was pregnant" in an episode called Home Alone. After being told for 20years that i would not conceive, at the age of 38 I gave birth to a healthy little boy. I had a huge ovarian cyst that I believed was rupturing- I had no symptoms of pregnancy..and yet my pain turned out to be labor pains! I ended up having my baby alone, at home while my husband was out of town. Blake is now a happy and healthy 2 1/2 year old. I believe in miracles, and so should you. I will be praying and hoping the best for you. Take care.
Tiffany
That's so awesome that you were able to share about Creighton. Sorry about the progesterone headaches and nausea, I hope they go away soon.
ReplyDeletewow, K... thanks so much for this story.
ReplyDeleteWhoa.
I pray for you and ALWAYS think of you at my holy hour.