Saturday, January 5, 2008

Leaving tomorrow, bright and early

Well I am now spiritually prepared for my big surgery. Tonight I went to confession and had an Anointing of the Sick.

I love confession, and just a few short years ago I would have thought you were crazy if you told me I would one day write those words. But since I went through a conversion a few years ago, I've learned what a wonderful opportunity it is to cleanse yourself and truly feel God's grace and forgiveness. So while in with the priest tonight I asked him if he could give me a special blessing ahead of my surgery on Tuesday. He said to find him after the 5:30 p.m. Mass and he would do an anointing, since there was another woman he was already planning to anoint. So I did, and it was beautiful. I've had it done before, once when there was a "community" anointing at my old church. I kind of did it that time for infertility in general. That was the first time I had heard that you could receive the sacrament for a number of reasons. You don't have to be dying, you don't even have to be sick in the traditional sense. You could have a "sickness" of the spirit, the mind, or the body. That day we were also told you could receive it on behalf of someone else. Anway, it's a beautiful Sacrament.

So I'll now finish my novena to St. Gianna, keep praying, and try to focus on God's promise to protect me. And I should also focus on the many, many people praying for me. From friends and family, to friends of friends and family, I truly have an army of people praying.

We head out tomorrow morning, at or around 6 a.m. hopefully, for our two-day drive. This is the worst part - the waiting for the trip to begin. That's when my anxiety really takes ahold of me. I need to trust God! I need to trust God! Okay, so that's my mantra for the next couple days. If I'm freaking out in the next couple of days I might post again, since it helps me relax. But if not, I'll do so when I'm feeling better.

3 comments:

  1. All the BEST!!!!!
    Have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you were able to receive those sacraments before your surgery! The hospital chaplain was available before my first surgery, and he came and anointed me right before they wheeled me in. That was a great experience!

    Have a safe trip, and I'm praying for a successful surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted you to know that you are in my daily prayers right now.

    Remember, do not be afraid. Christ is with you. He will be with you in surgery, and He will bring you out safely and much healthier.

    Try to think positive (I know it's hard!) You are not alone, we are all rooting for you, and there are prayers going up for you all over.

    It's okay to let Christ carry you right now, if you don't feel strong, that is okay, too, because He will be your strength.

    You are in good hands with Dr. Hilgers, I am reading the "Women Healed" book right now, and so encouraged by it!

    God Bless ... keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete