I never want to be away from my kids.
There. I said it. Why, again, do I feel this is a controversial statement?
It all started when I saw my OB for my six-week follow-up after Luke's birth.
Are you getting out? Spending some time away from the babies? she asked. Really? It had only been six weeks. I was still getting the hang of breast feeding. By the time I got ready to go somewhere he needed to nurse again.
No, I responded, innocently and honestly. I don't really want to.
It was the truth. Now, I definitely shy away from the controversial. If I had known what her reaction was going to be, I probably would have just said "Sure, I'm getting out" and left it at that. I had no idea that I had said anything that I shouldn't.
She shot me a look filled, all at once, with disdain, pity, and concern for my naivety. In just those quick seconds, it was as if that look said Oh, no. No, no, no. You don't understand. You don't have to say that just because you're a mom and that's what you think you're supposed to say. You should spend time apart from them. In fact, you shouldn't not spend time apart from them. It's unhealthy not to, even dangerous. You're all going to end up royally messed up if you don't. You're children will be serial killers.
What she actually said was something more along the lines of, You do really need to spend some time away from them. It will be good for all of you. I'm serious. Still, her words weren't simply advice from a doctor and fellow mom. They were a warning.
So I tried. I went to the store alone, I... I'm trying to think of somewhere else to tell you I went, but that's about it. It was still early on, and leaving the house was difficult. Luke needed me constantly. But her words - that look - were never far from my thoughts.
It wasn't like we had babysitters to call on at will. Neither my husband nor I grew up anywhere near our current town, so we don't know a great deal of people, let alone any teens. That doesn't exactly make going out all that easy, so we didn't. And I was perfectly content.
Ryan, on the other hand, needed the occasional night out. Sometimes for a work event, sometimes for an outing involving something we can't do with babies, like going to the movies. Once leaving Luke was a bit easier, we began trading-off babysitting with good friends of ours. It's fine by me since it usually involves going out after Clara and Luke would normally be in bed.
But it's always his doing. I enjoy going, I just don't need to go. I don't initiate going.
When birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations arise, Ryan inevitably asks me what I want to do. Go out, I say. With the kids.
When I've had a tough week, when I complain about my fatigue, Luke teething, or Clara (and, by extension, I) spends what seems like an entire day in time-out, Ryan generously asks if I want to do something by myself, like go shopping. No, I say. I want to go but I want us all to go.
Call me crazy, but I just have more fun when they're with me. I'm more joyful when they're with me. I'm more content when I know they're there. I'm relaxed and happy when I know I can see their faces.
Do I need some time apart? Yes. That's why God invented naps. On days when napping is rough, I nearly lose my mind.
And give me a day or two without Ryan at home when he's normally home (or worse - if he's gone overnight) and I'll go nuts.
It's a delicate balance. As long as I have my normal routine of Ryan helping in the morning, naps, and coming home at night, I'm good to go. Help is key. I didn't say I want to be alone with my kids for days on end. I'm not that crazy.
And I know I only have two. My thoughts on this matter may evolve. But for right now, this is where I'm at. I have no desire to get out and I'm now realizing I shouldn't be ashamed of that.
I know some people will think this is absurd. That I just don't get it yet. Or, like I know my doctor was probably, likely, maybe, thinking - that it's even doing a disservice to my children.
And to them I would say this: We are all different. Some moms may need time away, and that's fine. But, for me, personally, after nearly six years of infertility, I need my babies. I spent a lot - a LOT - of time being sad and missing the babies I didn't yet know. Now that they're here, I don't ever want them far from me. They just bring me joy.
And I'd like to think at this very young age, they just might need me too.
But if my children turn out crazy, then you can all blame it on me not getting out enough. Deal?
Mine are 2 1/2 and 11 months. I'm the same way. I feel like I'm missing something when I go out alone, but take away nap time and I feel like I'm spiraling into a mental breakdown. I never realized either, until I had my first, what a controversial subject leaving your kids was. I left my daughter for the first time when she was 18 months old. I didn't want to try before that. I would rather go out with her, or with our whole family if my husband was home.
ReplyDeleteDon't feel like you have to defend yourself for wanting to stay with your kids. Some of us just don't need to leave, and that's just as okay as the ones of us (like a friend of mine) who will literally go crazy if they DON"T leave occasionally.
K is much younger, only 5 1/2 months, but I don't like being away from her. I am doing a bible study that just started once a week. She goes to the nursery since D works late, but the nursery is across the hall. I'm always concerned about her when she's away from me. I would much rather have some help me without me leaving.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree about the importance of nap time and daddy-at-home time. The hardest days are when he's not home in the evenings.
I agree with Emily G. that it's a personal thing whether you need time away from the kids or just lots of family (not being the only parent home) for sanity.
You're so right! Everybody is different and you shouldn't feel like you have to apologize just because you don't like to be away. I don't think it's negatively affecting your kids at all. You are a great mom!
ReplyDeleteI love this! Your honesty is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt's true that all of us moms are "wired" differently when it comes to needing space from our kids. I have gone from one spectrum to the other over time and from Mikey to Dominic.
With Mikey, I CONSTANTLY needed time away. It was too much. I think I just was too young and on the heels of being right out college and being used to doing what I wanted to do. With Dominic, after 7+ years of secondary infertility, it's very rare that I want time to myself (other than naps like you said! Gotta have those!). And I CRAVE family time. My favorite time of day is when Mike comes home from work and we're all together. On weekends I want all of us to do stuff together.
I guess my point is our needs as moms change depending on the circumstances of our lives.
Beautifully written.
I agree 100%, I feel like I could have written this same post...
ReplyDeleteAmen!! Especially since I have to work outside the home. I'm away from her enough-I don't need more time away!
ReplyDeleteI think I will probably be the same way :) And I HIGHLY doubt those kids will end up crazy because their mother spent TIME with them!! :) :)
ReplyDeleteThis is the BEST post I have ever read of yours!! Oh my goodness you read my mind. I like to go out---all of us TOGETHER! I know exactly what you mean.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in a playgroup with my daughter I would listen to all the moms brag that they went away for a girls weekend to Boston or to ski I would just sit there and cringe. NO way would I rather be with random girlfriends and the thought of being away from my toddler for a whole day or weekend, UGH.
Well, for those who need to get out and get away I say go for it.
But, some of us do not need this!
You absolutely shouldn't be ashamed. I am one of those moms who needs time alone and I envy you. We're all different and I think that's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you! I need my time "in" with the babies!
ReplyDeleteI love naptime, too. My DH isn't home nearly as much as yours so I do look forward to the 4 hours a week that I work. It all works out. Yesterday friends of mine called and wanted E to come over and play with their older kids. I ran to the store by myself but I wanted to get back and play with them all!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand! I hate being away from Isaac. Other than the occasional 20 minute trip to the store while he's napping or hanging out with Daddy, I don't like to leave him at all. Just thinking about leaving him any longer than that makes me really anxious. We're still breastfeeding, though, and the logistics of being away for more than 1/2 hour at a time just doesn't make sense for us right now anyway.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you - nap time at home is great, but getting out of the house, I like us all to go!
I am 100% with you!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was just telling J this week how much I LIKE Abigail. Obviously I'm exploding with love for her- but more than that, I LIKE her and WANT to be with her! WHen she's asleep I want to wake her up and play!!! I don't want to be without her. She's FUN!!!
I'm with you on this....I don't really need breaks, the naps are enough for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's not something I want to get away from, take a break from etc...My baby is wonderful to be around.
Even when she is asleep, there are times I want to wake her up because I miss her.
But during the day/week I don't need time alone which surprises me. I definitely thought I would need time away to regroup. Maybe as I add? IDK, I just want to be with her all the time.
We are doing date nights once a month, because this Momma needs a good stiff drink about once a month! ;) Tonight is a night we hired a baby sitter for when H is already asleep. I will be less then a mile down the road and we will only be gone two hours. :) Brave, let me tell you! ;)
I felt this way when I had one, and possibly when I had two, but I don't feel this way any longer. With time and many more children, I have realized that everyone needs a break from their "job," even if that job is taking care of the most adorable and cute children in the world (one could argue that Luke and Clara are that cute).
ReplyDeleteMy husband needed time away, like Ryan, and it is VERY important to humor him on that and get out. Now, years later, I need the time away, a break, because when you go, go, go, go, for years on end, you become a very different person, and it is very easy to lose relationships with other people in the process.
A Priest that doesn't take a retreat, doesn't take a night out, and just serves his parish (his passion and love), day in and day out, isn't as good of a Priest as one that takes time to read, reflect, and leave for a few days every couple of months. Even if the main thing you feel when you leave is that you miss your babies, you will return recharged and excited to see them, even more joyful in your role as a mother.
It is definitely easier to work time into your schedule with two young children (than with more), to do things like dates, nights out with girlfriends, or simply time to go to Mass or adoration ALONE. These times of reflection and a break are healthy and normal. I'm not saying you don't do them, or that you will be thrilled to separate from your children for a few short hours, but in the long run, it really will be good for you and for them.
I'm also not suggesting that Mothers leave their newborn infants or babies that won't take a bottle (so please don't hit me with a barrage of responses about how I want to separate young mothers from their babies)! There is obviously different life phases at play, but it's important not to let a short life phase become our way of existence. Six months easily turns into a year, a year into two, etc. When a mom doesn't get a break, it shows, and she becomes like a Priest who has missed his retreat.
I love what you wrote. At age 9y and 6 1/2y, I still feel the same way. I was invited to go just tonight and said no I want to enjoy my family. Now that they are in school, I feel that is more than enough time away. Of course, it is fun to volunteer at school.
ReplyDeleteEven though I love (and like) my kids, I can't give what I don't have. I find that I actually do need some time away, if only for an hour or so once or twice a week. But I think that is mainly also because I am an introvert at heart.
ReplyDeleteFunny thing is, the whole time I am away (rarely that is) I can't stop thinking about them. Go figure!
Nevertheless, I always return refreshed and recollected. I am a better mother for them for having taken time for me. I also have discovered that taking the time to exercise means I am healthier for them. I have more energy and am happier.
oh and I'd also like to say I felt this way even from day one with #1! I guess that might the introvert in me again ... but I just need that time to clear my head.
ReplyDeleteI also feel the same way about my husband. Needing time away .. (when we have had extended periods of time together) and it doesn't reflect on my feelings toward him ... again the introvert thing. I have to get away to recharge.
I agree with LH - my need to be away from Maggs and Paul too comes from my introversion. I'm just a raving lunatic if I don't get enough time alone. I wish I was more extroverted and could gain energy from being with others rather than loose it so that I didn't need as much time alone. My need for so much time alone feels like a cross to me, especially now that I don't want to miss a second of Maggs' life, but I know that extroverts have other crosses.
ReplyDeleteYep, I'm the same way. Ken suggests leaving for a night! is he CRAZY!!!! lol
ReplyDeleteThe first time I was away from M overnight was when I had JP, and the first time I was away from JP was when I had L, then I was away with just L for a few days to go visit Dorothy for her baby shower in February, and it was a nice break, but I really missed them! (And JP was a mess, my mom said every time he passed a snowman, he'd say, "He's cwying. He can't find his mommy." Isn't that the saddest thing EVER??
Now that L is getting older, I really do enjoy leaving them with my mom for a few hours on a weekend every once in a while and getting a date with Ken, especially just going to Barnes and Nobles to get coffee and read some books in peace. And I feel great about it because they love my mom and always have a great time. But really, I feel the exact same way as you!
I have to say that when I first read this post, I thought "What is wrong with me?" I do have the desire to get away for a bit every once in a while but am unable to do so. Since J has been born I have only been away from him for a total of five hours, twice with my husband and once with a dear friend of mine. Once with my husband when he was 3 months old and I had to get things for J's baptism and the other to get my first mammogram. Fun times ;) J does not go with anyone now if I am not in the room, I am not kidding - this started around 4 1/2 months. The doc noticed it right away and said around 11 months, he will start to befriend others but right now, I am his comfort. He really only eats with me and only goes to sleep with me. Sometimes I envy those of you whose husband is available more and whom the children get as much comfort from, but that is just not how it is for us right now. I know it will get better with time, but like LH and CC, I do literally need 'me' time because that is how I recharge and when I don't have it I have a sour demeanor. 'Me' time can be going to the bathroom by myself. That is actually luxury these days. I do love him and I like him so I want to be my best for him and sometimes that means giving myself some time to recharge. I am not getting that now, it is hard. I am not complaining, just stating the facts.
ReplyDeleteAt the same time, I am trying to soak up every minute of this time when I am the one he wants to be with, I know that will not always be the case and I don't want to wish away this time. In the dark moments when I feel overwhelmed, I take a sneak peek into the future (haha) and realize that one day, I will be wishing for him to only find comfort in me.
Amazing Life, I think my life is the same as yours. I still don't get to go to the bathroom by myself. He takes offense if I send him out. It was very interesting to read the different responses of everyone. Everyone's situations and needs being so differnt. I did hate it when my mom kept telling me we need to find a babysitter. Fun and interesting post!
ReplyDeleteI can relate in some ways - in that I don't LIKE being away from my babies. BUT, I also don't like the stress of packing them up and taking them EVERYwhere, always risking multiple meltdowns, lol! I also work a couple of days a week, so I do get away. And I try to run errands a couple of times a week when they are napping and Jason is home with them. I NEED to get stuff done quickly and efficiently without them sometimes, lol! But, an hour or two is my limit (except for the days I work). I rush back to them. I had to be away for the first time for 2 days and 2 nights last week for a work conference and I cried as I drove away. I missed them terribly. BUT, I did feel good that I did it and that we all survived:). You do what feels right to YOU - that's all that matters!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your great comments! I hope I didn't make anyone feel bad. The point of my post was that getting out is the norm and is considered good/healthy, and I feel like sometimes I'm the weird one because I don't really want to. So I was just trying to say (i.e. convince myself) that maybe it's ok to be like me too. My doctor really gave me a complex about it ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd I think another thing I left out is that I don't like being alone, so the thought of doing something by myself does not appeal to me. I do things alone, like grocery shopping once in a while (although normally I take a baby for company), but if given the choice I would always, always rather do it with someone else. So that is definitely part of my personality.
I guess I just found it interesting that when I'm stressed from long days alone with the babies (R works two jobs one day a week and double shifts often as well), that I dream not of time alone, but of him being there to help (I love when he's there for car-seat buckling!). Then I can really enjoy them!
I can see what you mean and I don't think there is anything wrong with your feelings. What I think is worrisome is the moms that need some time to be alone and don't get it...ever.
ReplyDeleteI don't like to be away from my daughter. We rarely do anything without her on the weekends because we enjoy her company. I am lucky to have a very helpful husband and I do work outside of the home so I totally get the moms that feel differently. I didn't have the infertility issues you mentioned, but I did live my time as a single woman and as a young married woman to the fullest. I have no regrets, but I've kind of been there done that with most of the "going out" type stuff. Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't work outside of my home, but like you I am not someone that enjoys being alone. I am a social person to the extreme, I like contact with people (even a little person), I like noise and chaos and mess! I do think fostering friendships is really important (for me) so I make a point to meet up with my friends, but more often then not my daughter is with me.
Looks like I'm joining this one late, but I am so with you. I would much rather be with my family...kids included....than out somewhere without them.
ReplyDeleteI could have written this K, I am just like you! Alana still hasnt' been left with anyone and she's 14 mo! I will run errands sometimes with Grant watching her but we've never gone anywhere together without her! We love having her with us, we waited 12 years for that girl, we don't want to be without her.
ReplyDeleteGrants work makes it hard sometimes, when he was working nights he basically was gone nights and sleeping mornings so I had both alone, him only being around for lunch. That was hard. Now with him home in the evenings it's wonderful! Alana tends to be needy so I cant' shut the the door when I go to the bathroom etc but even that I really don't mind! I love my baby girl and there is NOTHING wrong with wanting them with you as much as possible!
I have seven kids, and I feel the same way. :)
ReplyDelete