Happy New Year's Eve! We are getting ready to visit my in-laws for the next two days. And I'll also have a chance to see Lifehopes and, hopefully, her new puppy!
I'm doing good. Trying to keep the positive attitude going! I had a mini-breakdown yesterday but I picked myself back up, starting working on things on my to-do list, and immediately started feeling better.
Once again my cycle is seeing changes. I am now on day 14 of my luteal phase, the longest I've gone since I started charting. They are normally eleven days, a couple were twelve, and earlier this year, after my surgery, they were even shorter. No, I do not think I am pregnant. I feel pre-menstrual and I know it will come at any point. The only reason I am even posting about it is because I'm trying not to let superstitions get the best of me. At the end of my cycles, I always post that it hasn't come yet, then get it right afterwards. So, my tendency would be to not post today, to ward it off. But because I know that way of thinking is insane and possibly even worth confessing, I am forcing myself to post. God isn't going to put off a new cycle simply because I DIDN'T POST ABOUT IT ON MY BLOG! He is in control, not me. I am trying to combat those superstitions by posting, to show God that I know that it is up to Him and not some magical thinking. I have always had a tendency toward magical thinking.
That being said, a 13 day luteal phase - or longer - will be nice. Not that my 11 or 12 day ones weren't good. My doctor just told me on Monday that are perfectly fine. But isn't one day longer even better? Maybe not. But at the very least it shows that things are still changing, hence the reason (perhaps) that I haven't conceived yet. Hormones are still shifting and fixing themselves and haven't settled down yet. Things are still getting even healthier. The body taking a lot of time to heal is always one of the themes of my doctor's appointments. Somehow that is so easy for doctors to realize but much harder for us patients to understand.
I have been struggling with some faith questions that I will post more about here soon. Mainly, how to have hope and faith that our specific prayer will be answered when we know that for some people, it is not. I know, that's nothing new. I've written about it here a million times. I just always come back to it. I do feel as if the Holy Spirit has filled me with a new desire to ask big things of God and trust that he can and will deliver, but that voice in my head is always whispering, But some people pray and pray and never conceive. What about them? While that statement is most certainly true, I think that might be the devil pushing me to doubt God and his awesome power.
But that is a topic for another time. I also wanted to share with you a blog I found through Just Another Catholic Mom. It's the blog of a woman who passed away on Christmas Eve, and it pulled my heart out this morning as I sat here and sobbed as I read it. While her struggle is very different from that of infertility, it is clear she had a lot to teach all those who suffer. I think I can learn a lot from her words about finding joy in the darkness (a column she wrote about it weeks before her death can be found here). For me, personally, reading all this (at the very least) will help to soften the blow of starting a new cycle today. It really puts things into perspective and reminds me that I have so much. Not that our time here on earth is the end all be all - she is in Heaven where we all desire to be - but it reminds me that the time we have been given to do His work is short and it shouldn't be wasted wallowing in sadness. I hope I can find joy in my darkness, if that is where I find myself the next few days.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Magical thinking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy New Year to you too!
ReplyDeleteI followed Emilie Lemmon's journey as well and I have felt so sad since reading about her passing before Christmas. I feel so guilty feeling sorry for myself when I think about her two little boys and her husband having to celebrate Christmas without her.
Enjoy your trip to your in-law's (I'm headed to see mine this afternoon) and please say hi to LifeHopes for me!
I am about to BUST! I can't take it anymore! The anticipation is killing me! It is just right around the corner! I love our God of many surprises!
ReplyDeleteEven if it the outcome isn't what we anticipate...I feel like I am watching a movie, hanging on your every post, crying, laughing, sad, angry, and all the other emotions that come with reading your journey.
*That blog was gracious. I love her quote "What if I allow myself to put the outcome in God’s hands and just live intensely in the present, absorbing and embracing life as it happens?" Emilie Lemmons I want that to be my motto.
Happy New Year, and may God Bless you in the very best ways in 2009 :)
ReplyDeleteHave a safe and fun trip! I believe that 2009 will bring you many joys!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! I followed Emilie Lemmon's blog as well and it really put things into perspective for me...thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great time and give Lifehopes a big hug :)
ReplyDeleteLong time reader & lurker, but first time poster....
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say that Emilie's "journey" began with Infertility, and she & her husband conceived Daniel as a result of Infertility treatments that they prayerfully discerned were correct for them. Her conception of Ben was a complete and total surprise as they were still trying to discern whether or not they wanted to have another child &/or pursue IF treatments again.
She was pregnant with Ben when they discovered the cancer, but the oncologist said that it had most likely been there for at least 5 years before they noticed it.
She was a beautiful and joyful person, a gentle, attentive and loving mother, and a beloved wife. It truly is a shame that she is gone from us too soon.
My New Year's Resolution is to realize that IF is painful, but it shouldn't stop me from living in the moment - as she discussed in her last column.
Good luck to you - may 2009 be a magical year for all of us!
Happy New Year, dear!
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for you, and have been thinking of you a lot.
Your birthday is tomorrow! I know you're not too excited about it, but I'm excited for THIS year ahead for you!
Emilie's youngest child was only a couple weeks younger than mine. It absolutely breaks my heart to look at her and put myself in Emilie's place. I loved her piece on Catholic Spirit, it was so powerful, especially reading it knowing she had passed.
ReplyDelete