Right after my earlier post today, my day went from bad to worse.
First, the UPS truck pulled up outside seconds after I clicked "publish." I was so excited. It was a bridesmaid dress from J.Cr.ew for my sister's wedding. She wanted to order it to see what we thought, but I had already fallen in love with it and was secretly getting my hopes up pretty high that she'd choose it. Without having much good in my life to focus on these days, this stupid dress arriving was like my light at the end of the tunnel.
I know, silly. And a recipe for disaster.
It wasn't the dress. I knew as soon as Ryan handed me the box that it was way too heavy to be the 1.8 pound package (yes, I checked the tracking information so much I had it memorized). My beautiful light blue strapless dress (with the cutest pockets!) was actually a man's coat. And to add insult to injury, upon calling the company we learned what I could have already guessed - it was now completely sold out.
Let's just say I had a melt down. Over something as trivial as a dress, you ask? Yes, and while I may not be proud of it, I will be honest. I cried like a baby over a missing dress.
I was, of course, crying about more than the dress. I was really crying because the dress represented something I had put my hopes in (how pathetic I am). In the midst of my sorry life and my struggles in a world full of fertile people, I decided to look forward to receiving a stupid package, something that could brighten my day, and J.Cr.ew screwed me. The story of my life.
So after speaking with the company and ordering another color that was still available (there are two colors that would have worked), I calmed down. I got all dressed and ready to go shopping with my husband and as he sat in the car waiting for me to go to the bathroom quickly before we left, I discovered that yet another cycle had come to an end. Just. my. luck.
I got in the car and broke the news. We attempted to talk about it, but it was mainly me just giving bleak ultimatums - I want to give up...We are being silly to keep trying like this...We need to move on with our lives...God has decided I am not worthy of children and you made the poor decision to marry me - while he tried to have some hope. And, by the way, when I say I want to give up, I don't mean that this is just too much and I can't take it so let's give up. Oh no. I would try through menopause if it were up to me. I just suddenly felt like maybe we are being foolish to think we have a chance, like everyone is laughing at us, and that perhaps God wants us to move on and start coming to terms with being infertile.
Then that led into my worse fear and what can cause me to cry whenever I think about it - the thought that there's a good chance that my time on this earth will pass without biological children. That my one go-around here will be without the joy of pregnancy, the experience of child birth, taking care of a newborn that is a complete mix of me and my husband. We get one shot at life and I will be missing out on perhaps the most important part of it - creating more life. It is too much for me to contemplate. Thankfully, my mind blocks out the severity of the thought most of the time, but not today.
The main thing I couldn't get out of my head was that I just don't know how I will live the rest of my life in this world - a world full of fertile people, babies, pregnant women. I just don't think I have enough energy to do it and I don't want to do it. It is just too hard.
My poor, poor husband, because I just kept repeating, "I can't go on living in this world."
Please, please, PLEASE don't think I'm being suicidal here. That is not what I am saying at all, of course. It's just that I can't go on like this. Something has to give. Either I have to live on a deserted island, or I have to change my outlook. At this point, the island idea is looking pretty nice.
Oh, and I almost forgot - this cycle was completely messed up. It took a HUGE step backwards. My luteal phase was eleven days, but if you count yesterday's day of spotting as day one (which I'm pretty sure Creighton does...am I right?), then my luteal phase was ten days. Since it had been twelve days the past couple cycles, and I was hoping for even longer this time around, this was an enormous blow. Also, the fact that I had spotting is in itself a step backwards. So much for putting my hopes in getting healthier! Because of course I can't get pregnant, but now improved cycles are even too much to ask for!
I'm feeling a little better now (despite the tone of this post, believe it or not). We had a good time shopping (I was supposed to be buying Christmas gifts for others, but instead I purchased a present for myself from my mother and picked out something from my husband for me as well...very successful trip!), and it got my mind off of things. And I guess I just realized tonight that there's nothing I can do about it. I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired of trying to will my body to change. I'm exhausted, actually. So at least for this moment, I'm all cried out. I'm trying not to think about it. But I'm sure I'll cry more tomorrow.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Bad day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so sorry.
ReplyDelete:(
Here's to better days. Hang in there. Many of us who post here have been in your shoes.
Pax Christi.
oh, love... all I can offer you are your prayers tonight.
ReplyDeleteGod is near.
I came back online at this ungodly hr because I suddenly remembered that I have an electronic student loan payment coming out of my bank acct. and I had no $ in there. (I can't fall asleep with things like that running through my head!)
ReplyDeleteSo, just read this post and started crying. For you. With you. This is just so messed up, and I really do feel for you. And yet I've only been there a fraction of the time you have- - you have been so strong for so long, it's ONLY HUMAN to break down every once in a while. Even if it's cyclical, that is more than natural. Please don't feel like a bad person.
I wish I had some magic cure for you. Have you tried hCG injections post-Peak? Jellybelly can talk to you more about that, but they are supposed to improve luteal hormones as well as the hormones in the beginning of the next cycle. Or maybe trying an ovulation inducing med, now after the 2nd surgery and successful diet, etc.? Not that you're not Oing, but they boost the hormones for the O, and often increase prog. after O. Just some ideas.
I know that you will be a mother. There is no doubt in my mind. And while pregnancy is wonderful (even more wonderful in our minds, since we've had all this time to idealize it), it only lasts 9 months. The baby that comes to you, 1 way or another, will have grown in your heart for 4 1/2 yrs at least. Imagine that!! All of that love... from you and your DH... being put into a single human being. No one could bake a better baby than that in their womb for 9 months ;)
I hereby order you to turn on EWTN the next time you have one of these kinds of days. You'll get through this, and you'll get your baby.
Cycle Day 1 is always the worst.. along with 2 and 3... and then, somehow, thing settle down and we get our hope back for the next couple of weeks. Just hang in there! And I completely understand about the dress! It may seem small to others, but it would have brought you joy just for a moment. That's what I keep praying for -- just moments of joy here and there because they are so few and far between.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. Sometimes, I don't know how to function properly within this hurt either. I am sending you good thoughts, and hoping that next week is better than this week.
ReplyDeleteWhat a crappy day indeed. Certainly we can say it was a very hormonal day for a few of us. That's great you have such a supportive husband to let you vent too.
ReplyDeleteI also it's the Holiday season, all the commercials showing kids opening pressents, it's out of control!
Karey,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! I can relate to those feelings of anger, frustration and sadness. IF is an extremely difficult cross to bear. God has a plan for you and all this suffering will produce something wonderful for you and your DH.
Erin
hi. i just found your blog off Alesha at On the outside looking in. this post reminded me of so many days for me. we have a beautiful 2 1/2 year old but we've been trying for 18 months now for #2. i actually got pregnant in October on a Clomid and IUI cycle but lost the baby. i wish i had wonderful advice for how you are feeling but i don't. i can only imagine it is even more magnified for you trying for your first child. my best advice is to be real. cry out to God and lean on the friends and family that support you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you had such a difficult beginning of the day! Everytthing seems to be coming at us from all directions on days when we try so hard to be positive and full of hope! I know that feeling of not wanted to possibly go on in determined pursuit to conceive! I think we all need a break sometimes. Allow yourself to feel whatever way you need to feel today! This too shall pass!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, in regard to your Christmas shopping trip, I am so glad you found some gifts for yourself. It seems when we go to shop for others, we always find things for ourselves and vice versa!
I will probably be feeling the same way in a few days and I am trying to enjoy the calm before the storm. Blessings to you today and in the week ahead!
The feeling of not being able to go on like this ... well, that is pretty much how I feel on most days lately.
ReplyDeleteNo, I am not suicidal, but PLEASE GOD THROW ME A BONE! It's like, something has to give. If you don't want to give us a baby, can we have something else? Anything? something? I need a purpose in life because my vocation is unfulfilled right now. It hurts so bad.
Thank you for your honesty in this post - sometimes we feel like we are supposed to be so heroic- to bear this cross without tears. But Christ himself sweat drops of blood and I am sure He probably cried in the garden. Weeping and and mourning ... all of these are natural emotions to feel right now.
Just this morning as I was washing dishes, all alone in my own home, O Holy Night came on the radio. And it was a particularlly beautiful rendition. And it struck me -- the beauty of it all - and how near to me I felt that He was in that moment -- and then my heart started to hurt in a fresh, raw, unashamed sort of way. It was a pure way. There was no anger or rage or jealousy, but just a simple human heart of an ordinary girl, breaking. And it was almost like I could feel His loving arms wrapped around me. And then I wept upon contemplating that beautiful image- and how I am hurting for the children I long to have but cannot - and I almost fell to the floor in an utterly emotional drop of the knees.
I don't know why I didn't just allow myself to cry in the floor ... no one is home to laugh at me or think I am ridicilous. What I am saying is that we should allow ourselves to cry and be comforted by Him. It is part of growing in our Love for Him and trust in Him.
One day, when we get to heaven, I envision Christ turning and looking at us, and that moment - that beautiful moment when His loving gaze falls upon us and our eyes meet His-- He will run to us and us and wrap His arms around us and say, "I know. I know." Because He DOES know our pain.
And he conquered it. And now He lives so that He can help us through this broken world to the other side.
I pray to our Lord for mercy, for divine intervention for all of us on these Catholic blogs, and for the desires of our hearts to be fulfilled in ways we couldn't have hoped for or even imagined.
Lord help us to remain faithful to the last day, no matter what.
I am here for you.... I know how you feel and I hope you start to feel better soon.. I will be thinking about you and please... don't give up!!!!
ReplyDeleteKami
Karey,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I have nothing else to offer you other than to tell you that we all go through this. Know that you are not alone. Maybe we can all go on that deserted island together. Your words express exactly how I felt at the begining of my last cycle. I couldn't have expressed those feelings any better than you have. The only difference with me is my husband would be just fine not having a child. I am the one who so desperately wants to bring life to this world. You are in my thoughts.
Christina
I came across this on the internet and thought to share it with you.
ReplyDelete"Even Jesus, the night before His death, asked God to "take away the cup" of the crucifixion. The Father did not spare His Son the pain of the cross, and we have salvation today because of Christ's suffering and the resurrection. God's will is always more important than our own desires (see Matthew 26:39 and 42, Mark 14:35, and Luke 2:42)."
There are some great comments on here that have left me speechless by their sincerity! Hope you are feeling better today....
ReplyDeleteOh sweety, I am sooo sorry. I know that feeling of wanting to give up...or just feeling stupid for continuing to hope and try. It is like fate gave us the short end of the stick in fertility...atleast it could be nice to us with the rest of our lives. But you know that God is there and there is a purpose behind our journey. I will definately keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope things get better and better!! Love you and sending you tons of HUGS!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. Those bad days can be really bad. It makes the good days better, though. And you will have better days! Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteIt sucks. It just sucks. I found your blog from the Lost and Found. I'm Jewish, and I've been where you are (complete with PCOS.)
ReplyDeleteIt sucks.
Allow yourself tears.
Oh, I'm so sorry. And I know how something seemingly unrelated (like a dress) can bring up all those emotions. TCIE had a good point about hCG injections--my luteal phases averaged about 10 days until I started those. It might be something to check.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you when I go to adoration tomorrow!
I'm just speechless after reading all of these and seeing what a beautiful community is here. It's an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteBe assured of my thoughts and prayers, Karey.
I am so so sorry. (((hugs))) I have not been TTC for as long as you but I can relate to those feelings to a degree and they are so hard. I hope you get your BFP very soon!!!
ReplyDeleteHillary
makingmemom.blogspot.com
i'm so sorry that you're having a bad day -- we've all been there.
ReplyDeleteas TCIE and andnotbysight said, i definitely think that you should ask your doctor about HCG. although the needles freak me out, it has helped my luteal phase go from around 8 or 9 days to 14! my doctor put me on oral progesterone first, but it didn't help my progesterone levels.
hang in there, you're not alone. :)
I have been following your blog for awhile now and need to comment here. I am so sorry you are struggling with infertility. I wish this type of community had been around for me a few years ago. Please consider checking out my blog(s). My one blog has to do with our adoption and infertility. As a fellow infertile, Catholic woman my heart breaks for anyone who struggles with infertility. I am praying for you.
ReplyDeleteBlessings~
Thank you for your honesty. The comments on this post have touched my heart and I feel, once again, that I am not alone. I recently felt the same way. I honestly felt like I just want to move on to the next world....not suicidal, but I just don't want to live this life with this pain anymore. I see it cause my husband pain, and that almost hurts more.
ReplyDeleteI was especially touched by Life Hopes comment. I have been there, and I have fallen to my knees in the middle of my bedroom right below my crucifix and just cried. All by myself. Those are the moments when I feel like I can't put on the front of everything being OK in my life. I have nothing left to give in that moment.
May God give us the strength to get through one day at a time.