Monday, October 19, 2009

Room with a purpose

We now have a prayer room and I love it!

Since moving into our home almost two years ago, the smallest of our three bedrooms has been used as our office. But if I had my way, it'd be a nursery complete with a baby sleeping in a crib in there right now.

I know some people don't like the idea of getting an actual nursery ready before there's an actual baby, and I agree, but it was just as stressful having another use for the room I so desperately want to be used as a nursery. I hated it being an office. It was a constant reminder of what it wasn't.

So a week or so ago, I got the idea to make it a prayer room. We'd move everything out of there and find another place for the computer because, after all, we'll have to do that eventually (positive thinking).

My very kind husband did most of the grunt-work in this mini-move and by this afternoon we had moved our computer to the guest room and the office was now officially a spot for prayer.

So what's in our prayer room? Well, not much. It's just a lamp, a rocking chair, and a little end table with a statue of Our Lady on top. There's also a bookshelf and I put some religious trinkets on top of it, as well as an opened Bible. I'll put some candles there eventually. There's also one of those things you plug your iPod into, so I can have music playing too if I want.

This picture's from my cell phone so it's not the best, but you get the idea:



I spent some time in prayer in there today and it's very peaceful. It's just nice to have a place to escape to, where you can concentrate on praying and zone out all other outside influences. I was never good at turning the t.v. off and praying on my couch. I was always wondering what I was missing on t.v. or the computer. But in this room I just feel like that's what I'm there for. My mind is focused.

I also like the idea of praying for a baby in a room that will hopefully one day serve as a nursery. I feel very connected to my future child in there.

I also wanted to thank all of you for your thoughts and suggestions after my last post. I feel a lot better and I truly feel the most at peace when I remember that it is in God's hands. I don't want anything but His will to be done, and if more waiting is what He wants for us, I'll do it. Then again, I don't pretend to know what He has in store, so I'm just going to try live day to day!

I was also extremely comforted by a passage of Scripture I read today while testing out my prayer room for the very first time! It is the few sentences directly following the well-known Jeremiah 29:11 and it really hit me. It was exactly what I needed to hear:

"When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you. When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the Lord, and I will change your lot" (Jeremiah 29:12-14)

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful room!

    Mine is the second bedroom. :) I go and curl up on the bed with a blanket. Not really "prayerful position" but I end up having some great prayer time in there. Also some great sleeping in Jesus time. :) hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect use for your future nursery! I love it! I hope and pray that you grow closer to the Lord through prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What a verse! You should write that down and frame it put it on the wall or your prayer room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kathryn!

    That would be a really, really good thing to do. I once had a friend who cut out scripture passages like that and taped them all over the house, in the mirror (so its the first thing she reads), in her car (yes, right by the speedomoter), just everywhere.

    I have to say, it was really encouraging to be surrounded by God's most beautiful promises to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using the future nursery for a prayer room is such a sweet idea. What a great way to "unplug" a room, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful room and a comforting verse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a designated prayer area quite honestly changed our whole prayer life. It was wonderful. And I love that it's the future nursery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a "room of shame" that is also supposed to be our nursery. We don't even let our cleaning lady clean in there because it is such a disaster! You've inspired me to turn it into something more constructive! Now all I have to do is find the time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Complicated Life - I think you actually planted the idea in my head when you posted about having a spot for prayer and how nice it was :)

    Kathryn - I had that very thought while I was reading it. I think I'm going to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea. I have been wanting to get a comfy chair in a corner of our bedroom for awhile for this purpose and thought about it all weekend on how I can make a sacred space for prayer . . you continue to motivate me.
    I hope you have great peace in there!
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Scripture passage. I like the idea of changing a room that was so hard for you to see it not what you wanted and change it into a spirtual room. Even from the cell phone picture, I can see that it is very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so cute! The room looks lovely. I'm so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to the same thing with our guest bedroom/(hopefully) future nursery. Your room looks great and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh K, I LOVE it! What a beautiful idea. I love how you will be praying for your baby in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the room. It just looks like a prayer room. I love the colors. We want to do this in our home, but it will probably be a prayer corner, rather than a prayer room as we don't have the space for an entire room, and my husband needs a home office at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jelly Belly-I have a room that will hopefully someday be our nursery to and I call it the "room of shame" because it's a complete disaster! I don't ever think I'll get it organized until we actually have a baby on the way...so if I'm lucky, within the next decade!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your prayer room is beautiful. It made me want to enter and sit down and pray. Thank you for sharing this with us! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful and relaxing space! I'd love to have a prayer room, I've actually thought about clearing my closet out and turning it into a prayer space (I saw pictures once of someone who had done this!) because I don't have any extra rooms in this teeny house.

    ReplyDelete