Monday, January 17, 2011

God is good

Another opportunity to sit at my computer must mean that things are still improving. Both babies asleep, my husband at the gym, I'm showered, and we've even had breakfast. The house is quiet.

With the craziness dying down, and sleep coming much more frequently, I've had more of a chance to really savor my moments with my babies. My two babies. I have even found I look forward to my time alone with them when Ryan's at work (shhh! Don't tell him. I'd still like him to think it's really hard).


It's just that in the rush of that newborn stage, time for reflection is at a minimum. It all happens so fast. Baby cries constantly pierce the air. You're a zombie. For a while, Ryan and I didn't even see each other. Both of us awake meant one should be asleep.


But now, with Luke giving us the blessing of several hours of sleep all at once, my mind is clear. I actually feel better than I have in many, many months.

And I can look at my babies and really thank God for his wondrous gifts.


That is, when I can take it all in. Sometimes it's incomprehensible.

But, just like I used to have moments of clarity where the reality of infertility would hit me and I'd think, I'm childless and barren. I'm really infertile, now I have moments where it all suddenly hits me and I think, I'm a mother of two. These are my babies. When did this happen? How?

Motherhood is as wonderful as infertility was terrible.


And it's remarkable how quickly I've forgotten the back pain, the heartburn, the contractions, the inconsolable baby with a dairy allergy. Give me one good night's sleep and I'd sign up to do this ten more times!


We can't even guess what the future holds for our family, but how could I not want more of these faces?



God is so good.

26 comments:

  1. "Motherhood is as wonderful as infertility was terrible." Tears in my eyes! Thank you!

    I'm two-ish weeks away and fear is starting to creep in. But if motherhood is even HALF as wonderful and infertility is terrible-then I have NOTHING to worry about!

    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet and so true about passing those early crazy weeks... once life slows again, it seems impossible not to want to do it all again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures! You have gorgeous babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the quote that Kaitlin loves!!!! It jumped out at me, too!

    This is such a beautiful post, K! Love the gorgeous pictures and your thoughts. Your babies are so beautiful. I cannot BELIEVE you are holding TWO BABIES!!!! AMAZING!!!! I still can't get over it!!! Praise God!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like your glowing! It is a dream come true after all ;)

    I love the pictures. Is that with your own camera? Or did you use someone else? I am curious because I hate my camera at the moment.

    Thank you for your offers to drive me places. Now that are car is fixed I can breath a sigh of relief! Plus, I owe you a dinner so let me know when it is a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post and what a beautiful family you have! Thank you for sharing your joy with all of us. Having a newborn is just really, really, really hard. I find it very hard to appreciate those days, as I react really poorly to sleep deprivation. Once My baby is around 3 months old, I am a much better mother with a much better attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful-everyting! Your babies, your smile, your happiness! I am so happy for you, K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post and I'm so glad you're finally happy! You deserve those special babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOPS!! That last comment was me. Didn't realized I was signed in as the hubs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to be able to write a post like this one day!!!

    God is truly good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear it! I know those newborn days (ok, months) are just so exhausting. I am the same way - with just a little sleep, life seems gorgeous again. Without it, though...look out:)! Enjoy all these moments with your TWO babies...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post title! It's one of my favorite things to say.

    Also, I LOVE that your arms are full! Such abundant blessings. And BEAUTIFUL pictures K!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes you're right... its amazing! Id Do it 10 more times too.. (starting after Leo's surgery!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes He is....oh so good. Thank you for the beautiful pictures. What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really SO glad you are doing well...

    And honestly, K your kiddos are breathtakingly cute!
    I can't believe how big Luke is already! And that Clara.... you guys better lock your doors! She's going to steal hearts...

    Hoping I get to meet both of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Again, new to your blog...Your pictures are amazing and your children are adorable! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your posts just keep getting better and better! I am so very happy for you!! You have the most beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I completely agree. I could have wrote this exact post, though not so eloquently!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's good to see you smiling again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is so good! Beautiful pictures. You look so radiant, holding your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Trying to hold back the tears after this post!!! How BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I pray to God nightly that He may have something 1/10th as good planned for me as He had (HAS) planned for you. And I love telling people your story... though at the same time, I have to censor who I tell, because I have gotten the "See, it happens all the time, as soon as you adopt..."
    GRRRRRR!!!

    ReplyDelete