Today was a big day. I made it to the grocery store - with Clara!
I know that doesn't sound like much, but for the last several weeks, my days pretty much consisted of lying in bed for several hours with nausea, only getting up to eat (the nausea turned into painful hunger just about every hour) and feed Clara. Nothing was getting done, at least not by me.
Let me just say that Ryan has been Super-Husband. He does the laundry, grocery shops, vacuums, mopped the kitchen floor, does the dishes quite often, bathes Clara, and even woke in the night with her early on in my pregnancy (thank God she is sleeping through now). I should also add that he waits on me hand and foot and has never said 'no' to any take-out request I've had (that's huge).
I appreciate all he has done more than words can say, but at the same time, I feel like a failure that he has to do so much. It just seems like most pregnant women, including many fellow bloggers, work full-time jobs, shop and clean, despite any sickness or fatigue. And yet a big day for me is when I make it to the couch before noon.
I know it's a luxury that I am able to lay in bed with my not-yet-mobile five-month old and I am thankful for every minute of it (it is nice). But sometimes the guilt of seeing my dirty house and over-worked husband begins to take away from the luxury of it.
Although then I remember how the fog suddenly lifted one day last week and I actually had energy (I just knew immediately upon waking up that I would be able to take on the grocery store, and I did). That says to me that when I can't get anything done, I really can't. I wonder if maybe some of it is the old adrenals coming back to haunt me. But then again, everyone's tired in the first trimester, right?
And I also tell myself that while it may seem like most other pregnant women have it all under control, perhaps they just don't advertise that they aren't perfect, and maybe I'm not all that abnormal. Then again, that's probably just me trying to make myself feel better!
So I did make it to the grocery store today because I pushed myself (that, and morning sickness is mostly gone). I'm hopefully turning a corner now that the second trimester is near, and grocery shopping (as well as cleaning and cooking) can be part of my routine again (who am I kidding.. it's not like I actually look forward to that!). After all, it can't be all bad when I have this little face staring back at me from the cart:
Okay one more. This was her after the shopping trip. She loves that she can now grip her link toy, so much so that she fell asleep holding it!
So for now I will take each day as it comes, do what I can, continue to thank God that I'm even in this situation, and be grateful I have a husband who picks up my slack. Thanks, honey! You're the best!
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Taking it easy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh dear believe me it is all relative. I worked through my pregnancy but not a moment went by that I did not dread the idea of merely stepping foot out of bed! I called myself (and all women who endure pregnancy) a WARRIOR! I swear a man could never handle it. Who in their right mind would get out of bed if they felt that awful? No one....but we do! We are warriors :) And you are a wrrior with a 5 month old no less!
ReplyDeleteI visit your blog all the time and I can not tell you how thrilled I am that you are pregnant! You have an incredible story and we are blessed to have you share it with us.
I hope the m/s subsides permanently and soon!
Merry
what a beautiful face to look at while shopping!
ReplyDeleteI think adrenals could certainly be a part of feeling so tired an nauseous (talk to Sew)
Glad you were feeling good enough to get out and hopefully enjoy it!
It's perfectly normal to feel as wiped out as you have been. I could barely get myself out of bed to feed my older child when I was pregnant with my second. I would get up, give her something to eat and then go sleep for a few more hours. I think I was pretty useless for much of the first trimester with both of my girls.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you and Clara got out into the world!!! Although being able to lie in bed with a cute babe like yours sounds like a slice of heaven!
ReplyDeleteTry not to worry or feel guilty. (Right, good luck, huh?:))
ReplyDeleteBut remember this is just a season. You'll be feeling awesome in a few weeks!
that little girl of yours is just too cute!:) From what I hear, sounds like normal pregnancy stuff to me! And what an awesome hubby. :)
ReplyDeleteI am totally useless when I'm pregnant. So much so that the main reason I space my babies is so that the family can have enough "normal" time with mom actually acting like a functioning human being before another baby comes along. During my last pregnancy, my then 5 year old daughter was playing "house" with her brother and she said, "Charlie, you go get me things and clean over here, I'm pregnant so I'm just going to lie here on the couch."
ReplyDeleteOuch! Imitation isn't always a form of flattery ;-)
Just confessing here so that you know not all pregnant women are as fully functioning as you might think. I'm completely useless.
You're normal! You are growing another human being within you! Right now I'm overloaded and with working 2.5 days per week, taking care of the house, a 2 year old, and being pregnant. The only reason I can do it is because I am on Prednisone (substitutes for my adrenals). It makes me hyper and counteracts the fatigue of pregnancy. That's why I'm up at 4am and can't sleep!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! What an accomplishment. Isn't it nice to have husbands who step up - I am still feeling pretty okay and Snicks has already taken over most things. :) Hope that your morning sickness ends soon!
ReplyDeleteAs the other ladies have said - sounds normal! I am 25 weeks along, but the first 14 were miserable. I went to work because I had to, but oh how I wish I could have stayed home (and there were several days that I did have to). Besides - with a 5-month-old, you DO have a full time job! :-) Even though I didn't shed the full m/s until about 20 weeks, it definitely changed at about 14. Life became more manageable and grocery stores became bearable!
ReplyDeleteClara is just ADORABLE! Even though you aren't feeling all that well, I am willing to bet that she is loving the time with mama.
This is all completely normal, even the guilt! When I was pregnant with my first, I did have a job but all my energy was devoted to that. I would come home from teaching and be a deade weight: lying on the couch while watching TV and DH did most of our chores, cooking,etc. Not till mid-second trimester did I begin to feel more 'normal' and then the nesting began. I am so happy for you and have to say, that Miss Clara is adorable...keep on doing what you can! :)
ReplyDeleteI think your hunch has some stock to it. ;)
ReplyDeleteGlad the fog is lifting....
Yea for starting to feel better! Funny that your post is (partially) about the grocery store b/c my post today is about that, too! Though what's in my shopping cart is definitely NOT as cute!!! Wanna trade? :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're able to take it easy and stay in bed for a while! I know it would be frustrating, but I'm sure sweet C loves that mommy time!! :)
I'm glad you are feeling better and definitely don't feel bad about needing help with housework, etc. when you are growing another human being.
ReplyDeleteK,
ReplyDeleteI really don't know how you have the energy to do anything after taking care of a 5 month old all day while being pregnant. Your body is working majorly overtime at the moment so don’t be too hard on yourself Hopefully the second trimester will be easier for you.
Sounds normal to me! Thank God for your wonderful husband. And I just can't get enough Clara pictures!
ReplyDeleteI was miserable and useless until 20 weeks, when the m/s finally subsided. My only m/s luck was that I always seemed to vomit between 10PM-10AM. That was lucky because I could get some stuff done out of the house in the afternoon and be OK. I also had some energy then, barely enough to take care of my toddler's basic needs. Even then, my family helped a lot! By the evening, though, I was done. Jim picked up the slack. Trust me, I had so many things I could have said about my pregnancy on my blog, but I chose not to because I was feeling guilty feeling that way after infertility, and knowing that infertile women were reading it--but those feelings and sickness was very much there! Just saying you are normal. I'm glad you're feeling better! I started feeling good at 20 weeks and now, at 24 weeks, I'm just about glowing. It will get better!
ReplyDeleteI often think that if I had gotten pregnant I would not have been able to work much during the first trimester either. I was so sick on the meds TRYING to get pg and I couldn't imagine morning sickness while working with 7 year olds.
ReplyDeleteClara is sooooo adorable! She just keeps getting cuter and cuter.
ReplyDeleteLove the Clara pics too! Glad you're feeling better these days.
ReplyDelete:) P.S. I'm sunburned from this morning, haha!
I felt like I was drugged the first trimester. I could have slept all day...and I didn't have another child to care for! You are doing just fine. As a new mom, I have been trying to let go and enjoy the moment and not worry so much about being "perfect" with cooking/cleaning etc. Easier said than done!
ReplyDeleteThe 1st trimester is seriously exhausting. Don't beat yourself up. It's all I can do to get out of bed during the first 12 weeks!
ReplyDeleteOk, two weeks ago I was down with a sinus infection and morning sickness, AND ken was out of town. I spent the week laying on the chair letting M watch TV, letting JP run wild, and calling my mom and begging her to come over ;)
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog for awhile, but never commented. I thought it appropriate for my first to be one of congratulations!
ReplyDeleteSo...
Congratulations!!!