Sunday, November 13, 2011

Birthday preps

As I mentioned before, I am knee-deep in preparations for our fast-approaching dual birthday celebration. I honestly have no idea where the burst of energy is coming from, but I'm not asking questions. Granted, some things have fallen by the wayside while I jump from one project to the next, like the four laundry baskets of clean laundry that my dear sweet husband is folding as I type this (although, let's be honest, I always put off folding the laundry. I have already decided for Lent this year I'm going to fold every article of clothing as soon as it comes out of the dryer. That's penance!)

Before you get the impression I'm putting on some big elaborate party, I should reassure you that's not the case. I'm just working on a couple little homemade details - things I wanted to buy but instead decided to make in an effort to save money - that require gluing and/or sewing. And it's just that anything at all is a big production for me.

Most of my projects are works in progress, but I completed one tonight. Here it is, modeled by its new owner:



I was happy with it, except it was a bit revealing. She's wearing monogrammed bloomers in the photo, which are cute, but they still looked too much like underwear for a soon-to-be two-year-old. So tonight I hemmed a pair of pink velour pants to be little shorts and they work perfectly underneath. And, in case you're interested, it cost me about $7 to make, although I think I could've found the tulle for cheaper if I had tried.

Clara loves it, although I think she loves the word even more, excitedly proclaiming "Tutu! Tutu!" to anyone who will listen. And, like any true girl, she knows this big frilly thing around her waist is somehow pretty and special.

Now it's hanging in her closet, not to be touched until their party. If their Halloween costumes were any indication, things I make don't last too long in the hands of babies.

10 comments:

  1. The tutu is so cute! She is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Every little girl should have her own tutu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tutu is cute....but I love her eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's adorable! She's such a beautiful little girl and this only compliments her beauty! I bet she LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute. Great of you to take the time to make it. All the more special...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute tutu! I am found some cute ones on etsy and plan on ordering one for Annie for her 2nd birthday and let her wear it at her party. I can't sew to save my life haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone!

    TW - This tutu is no sew! You could do it! I can email you directions if you want. I found it on another blog. The only sewing is stitching the two ends of the elastic together and that's just a few stitches that can be done by hand. The rest is just cutting strips of tulle and basically tying them onto the elastic. It's super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clara is ADORABLE!!! I can't believe she's going to be 2. Amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete