Friday, August 29, 2008

A great day

The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind of emotions for me.

To start things off, this time last night my husband was just getting home from work and we were starting to watch one of our guilty pleasures, Big Brother. Well, let's just say things didn't go the way I wanted them to during the episode and I actually cried. Yes, actual, real tears. I think I might have said something like, "Why can't things ever go my way?"

Not my proudest moment. But I share this with you just in case you might sometimes get the very wrong impression from my posts that I am more in touch with God than I actually am. I think this example speaks for itself on that issue.

That being said, I do blame some of my behavior on hormones. I have to, right? Who cries during Big Brother, other than when a house guest gets a call from home, or a letter from their kid? And even then, you'd have to be REALLY into the show and maybe PMSing. If it's not hormones, than I am truly a crazy person.

Anyways, we went to bed a while later and let's suffice it to say that it was one of those nights when, according to my chart, certain behavior was required. That pressure can sometimes lead to a fight, and in this case it did. A long one. I think I fell asleep sometime after four a.m.

About six hours later, I was awoken by my screaming husband. Like, at the top of his lungs screaming. If I remember correctly, I think he was saying, "He picked her! He picked Palin!" At first I thought he was going to say he picked Eric Can.tor. That's our local congressman, a friend of ours works for him, and Ry.an might have been able to follow him on the campaign trail if he was chosen. But when I heard "Palin" I was in utter shock. I heart Sarah Palin.

I think I was giddy all day long. I was just on cloud nine. I mean, she walked out to the theme from Rudy, people! Her 5-month-old baby boy with Downs Syndrome, who she is still breast feeding, was in the arms of her oldest daughter. I cried. I still get chills when I watch it on Youtube.

Okay, so today's political news put both of us in great moods, although both of us were extremely tired from our lack of sleep. While my husband had to go in to work for a couple hours, I got to nap. When I woke up, we headed off to do some shopping and to go out to dinner (the day just kept on getting better!). My plan was to go into J.Cr.ew just to see what size I am this week. No, I might not be able to eat fried food, but I go down sizes as quick as I use to put back a plate of chicken tenders. (Sorry. That's just me trying to convince myself. I want bad food REALLY bad right now.)

So I tried on a size that would have been a crazy dream size just a few months ago. Now it is officially my size. I tried on several pants and capris in that size, and all fit. To put this in context, you have to understand that I've spent years in denial about my true size. Trips to the fitting room would go something like this: Find clothes in size smaller than I really am, because I don't want to admit my real size. Hold up clothes and think "I'm not that big, am I?" Take clothes into the dressing room. Try clothes on and can't pull them up. Get upset. Leave store in bad mood. Curse all clothing stores, myself and skinny people.

Back to the shopping.. I then tried on a pair of capris in a size bigger than my current size because they didn't have my size, and they're big but comfy and on a major sale so I bought them ($18 isn't bad!). I then tried on a pair in the same style a size down from my current size and decided to buy those too. So I now own a pair of capris in a super-bizarro-beyond-crazy dream size. (A thought just came to me - this is one way infertility has truly blessed me. I would NEVER have lost nearly thirty pounds if it wasn't because of this. Well, maybe that was a little obvious, now that I think about it.)

So I left the store extremely excited and we went to a great restaurant and had a great meal. Then we came home and watched the Mets game we had DVR'ed. Um, amazing! With two outs in the ninth, they came back from behind with a grand slam and won. And the Phillies lost! First place by two games!!

Well, that's my day in a nutshell. And what a great one it was! When I was wallowing in self-pity early this morning and telling my husband he doesn't care about me, I didn't have high hopes for the day ahead. But life is full of surprises!

3 comments:

  1. I could relate totally to your post. I think sometimes my husband feels a little pressured during my fertility time and let's say, we don't always take advantage of all the fertile days. Yes, sometimes it makes me very upset and a little frustrated. I am not sure he quite understands that us women only have a few days when we are fertile especially when we're in our forties. He told me after we were married and trying that he prefers him to make the first move and to be spontaneous. Okay, but sometimes it makes me very upset and frustrated because I feel that if we just take advantage when he feels like it and when he wants to be spontaneous as he says, we will never get pregnant! Do you know what I mean??

    When this happens I pray. I pray a lot. I ask God, the Blessed Mother, St. Anne, and even my husband's guardian angel to help me. I also find that going to pray the rosary helps me too. There have been times when this has happened in my fertile time and I go pray 15 decades of the rosary and afterward guess what? He then totally surprises me and is co-operative!

    I know how you feel. I will be keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

    May God Bless you.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like a GREAT day! And definitely congrats on your weight loss - that is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... you're a METS fan???!!! I don't think I can ever speak with you again. Seriously. What kind of New Yorker are you? :P

    We both had much better days on Friday than we did on Wednesday and Thursday. The stars must not have been aligned or something.

    I'm starting to get nervous now about Palin. My sister lives in Manhattan, and was saying that all of her friends were saying, "Well he just threw away the election now." How do you feel about this? I'm really going to pray that she'll win him some liberal votes from the "feminist" side, instead of cost him votes from the "abortion on demand" side.

    ReplyDelete