Wednesday, October 3, 2012

We're smiling over here...


I swear you guys have a direct line to God.

Because as soon as I posted about being at my absolute wit's end when it came to Luke's sleep problems, he started going down without crying.


Do you know how miraculous that is?

It's amazing. Unbelievable. We're still, after six nights, in complete shock over here. And very, very happy.


The kid goes in his converted crib (should have done that sooner), sippy cup of water in hand (I always had a no-drink policy in their beds, but Luke had a no-sleep policy, so...), and just lays there - LAYS THERE - as I say goodnight and walk out of his room. He fusses a tiny bit as I carry him in, even sometimes a tiny bit as I say goodnight, but then nothing.

One night, after ten minutes of silence, he cried. But I just went in, talked to him and laid him back down, and that was that.


Tonight was six nights in a row of going down without crying. One night away from his prized Thomas bed. I did not think we would get here. I NEVER thought we'd be getting him that bed. I better start looking on Craigslist.


That's not to say he has slept through the night all those nights. But the deal was no crying when falling asleep. Tackle one problem at a time. Before this week, I can't remember the last time I had a peaceful evening without screaming in the background (and by "background" I mean the other side of the living room wall). It's been wonderful. Just wonderful.

And last night he surprised us by sleeping in his bed and staying in his room the WHOLE night. It can be done. There is hope.


So thanks for the advice and prayers. My evenings are free again, so maybe I'll be blogging more! Or just sitting, smiling, appreciating the lack of toddler screams. Silence is a wonderful sound :)

20 comments:

  1. silence is glorious! Glad things are better. Sleep is good for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That happened with H too! I never put her to bed with a sippy! Then I did after a week of her crying and BAM she goes right down for nap and bed!

    Can you send some of that sleep to Bridgette. Oh my gosh, I'm about to die of mere exhaustion of mothering for 18+ hours a day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Murphy's law right?! As soon as you ask for help it resolves itself. Phew! So glad for you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for that he is going down better!! What a blessing!

    LOVE HIS SMILE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I am so happy for you. We are going through sleep training this week, just for naps though and it is rough. I am not sure how I will get her to go to bed at night without sleeping in our bed. So glad that things are going well over there - it provides hope for me! I can't wait to see the Thomas bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!!!

    This is wonderful!
    We give L a sippy cup full of water each night. Then if she decides to throw a tantrum I tell her that she will lose her sippy cup if she keeps screaming. She quiets right down!! (btw she has lost it a few times ... but then I go back in after a few minutes of her really screaming and ask if she wants another chance, to which she always says yes and usually that is the end of things).

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very happy for you guys, but trust me, it wasn't my prayer that was on that direct line... I'm still on hold from a call I put in 6 1/2 years ago... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Karey! Can't happen to a nicer girl! Enjoy the silence.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! Great shots of Luke (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard to imagine such a cute kid causing so much trouble. ;) But it's getting better-Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I am WELL aware that once they go to bed, a momma NEEDS the silence...or we might go crazy! There has to be an END to the chaos eventually each day, lol! SO glad you are getting that much needed break. I hope it continues! We let Addy have a sippy cup of water in bed too - we started that when we sleep trained her so if she WAS thirsty, she'd have it (and not need to nurse). We've offered it to Jax by he always says "no water" and hands it back, lol! I am hoping this is the beginning of a wonderful new bedtime routine for all of you:)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, God is so faithful! :) and your children are so beautiful!
    To many nights of peaceful sleep! :)

    http://andlovewillfindyou.blogspot.com/2012/10/even-when-i-am-faithless.html

    God bless!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you so much for posting. this gives me hope! my two year old and one year old both need to be rocked or layed down with to go to sleep, and the two year old wakes up once a night and needs someone to sleep with him, and I basically sleep with our one year old from 10 p.m. until 7 a.m. I get excited about three hours of uninterrupted sleep. So glad I am not the only one...and SO GLAD you're getting sleep. It makes life so much more manageable!

    ReplyDelete