My father made our Halloween costumes every year when we were kids and it is one of the best memories I have of my childhood. So it's just second nature that I would make my kids' costumes every year. My sister makes her daughter's costumes too. I think it's in our genes.
This year, Luke wanted to be Thomas the Train and Clara was adamant that she would be a ladybug.
Luke is ecstatic about his Thomas and absolutely loves it, but only wants to wear him for about sixty seconds at a time. Sure, it's probably a little heavy and awkward, but don't you know how long mommy worked on this, Lukie?!
I made Thomas out of a cardboard box, a tube thingy for pouring concrete that I bought at Home Depot, a lot of hot glue, electrical tape and paint.
If you look closely, you can see where I spray painted the grass. Our back yard is full of blue, red and black.
When Clara declared she would be a ladybug, I was a little disappointed. I had it all planned out for her to be an Olympic gymnast, but despite her affinity for the Summer Games and the United States, she was not having it. But now I'm very happy we went with her idea. She makes one super cute ladybug.
Her costume was easy. I just glued black felt circles onto a tutu I made for her.
I glued black puff balls onto pipe cleaners and then twisted them onto a black headband.
And the wings are just cardboard pieces that I cut out and covered with red fabric and more felt circles.
I cannot tell you how much fun I had making these. I seriously might make costumes for them throughout the year. Sure, my house might have been a disaster during that week-and-a-half, but I am so happy when I have a project that I love.
Who needs a clean house when you can play dress up, anyway??







Those are adorable! That Thomas costume is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThey look so cute and that Thomas is awesome!!! You are very talented!!
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome! You are super-talented. I could never do this. Great job!
ReplyDeletePrecious! You did a great job!
ReplyDeleteWow, wow, wow, you did a fantastic job. You are so talented it must be in the genes. I just love them. I also giggled that there was paint on the grass, although I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. You have inspired me to do more next year. I love this tradition and I am going to challenge myself from now on!
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing! They are adorable! I cannot, I repeat CANNOT, make anything, lol! So, my poor children will have store bought costumes - unless they somehow turn out to be WAY more creative and handy than their mommy:). I love that you do that for your kids!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! You are very talented. Such great memories!
ReplyDeleteThose costumes are AMAZING! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteYou are so talented!! beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! So so cute! You are so talented! :)
ReplyDeletethose are great costumes! Good job!
ReplyDeleteI want your kids hand-me-downs!! You are amazing!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy kids costumes are from garage sales...less than $10 spent for the 2 of them combined. Plus, I can't make stuff that looks good anyway!
I love your photos of them!! At least you have those, even if Halloween turns into a natural disaster!
Too cute!!!! You are so talented.
ReplyDeleteThat's some serious talent you've got, and some seriously cute kiddos-how fun!
ReplyDelete