Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sleepless nights

Tonight I was pondering exactly why I haven't been to my blog lately (no, I'm not pregnant) and I can't really come up with a good reason. I guess it's because things are still kind of unstable here. And then there's Luke's lack of sleeping. That's nothing new, it just has come to the breaking point where it's driving me absolutely nuts. And to bring it all full circle, I suppose that's, at best, not helping my anxiety and, at worst, even causing it on some level. It's like we never left the newborn stage; we're still not getting seven or eight uninterrupted hours of sleep. This morning we celebrated because we had five. Five. It occurred to me after saying it out loud how crazy that sounds.

You know how you tell yourself that those first few sleepless months of a baby's life will be over before you know it? Well, we told ourselves that, only it never passed. With the exception of a few weeks here and there where he slept well, Luke is still a colicky infant between the hours of 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. He naps well, though, so there's that (and in case you are wondering, we've tried no naps, earlier naps, shorter naps, you name it. Nothing changes his night problems). 

I'm also currently weaning him (again, in case you're wondering, his sleep problems were here before weaning), which we can only hope might end up helping him to sleep better in some way. It hasn't been easy - I'm still nursing him once a day - but I'm noticing he is asking less and less and not getting as upset for as long when I say "no" (but, to put it in context, it's been over a week and he still cries and pouts, fighting to get my shirt up, each and every time). The really good news is he wants to cuddle with me on the couch a lot lately (he's actually quite demanding, telling me to "lay down" and "move your hair"), like he is replacing nursing with cuddling. And that just warms my heart.

Now I'm heading to bed since - the miracle of all miracles - Luke is, for now, asleep in his converted crib. This will be his second night in it; he had been "sleeping" on a flip sofa on the floor, which really meant he slept wherever he passed out after screaming and crying for two hours straight. And that was always on the hardwood floor in front of his door. But the floor doesn't allow for adjustments in the middle of the night, so he'd always wake up and end up in bed with us. That's the hard part of sleep-training Luke - you feel like you've run a marathon when he finally falls asleep after hours of screaming, only to have him wake up an hour later. That doesn't do a whole lot of good for your psyche the next night when you're trying to talk yourself into letting him cry instead of scooping him up and cuddling on the couch until your husband comes home. 

But, for some reason, his new bed has worked. He still cries and falls asleep by his door, but the crying only lasts for a couple minutes. And after we move him back to his bed, the entire process only repeats a few times (usually until Ryan comes home and moves him back one last time), compared to hundreds of times when he was climbing out of his crib, or just had the flip sofa, or the week where he decided to strip naked and pee all over in a (successful) effort to get me to come in and get him.

We'll see how long he stays asleep tonight. Maybe it will be longer than five hours. But, if not, sleeping with him in our bed from 5 til 8 a.m. isn't so bad (I secretly love it). It's the crying and screaming as he's "falling asleep" that I dread. So I'm praying this new converted bed is the answer. And, if he's good, I've promised him a Thomas the Train bed. I checked Craigslist just to see if there were any, and oh ya, there were like five. Apparently a Thomas bed isn't something you hang onto as an heirloom. 

One night recently, I was questioning whether he even understood this deal I had made with him, to get a Thomas bed if he falls asleep without crying for a week straight. He's just a baby, I thought. Maybe I'm expecting too much of him. Then, as the little stinker sat by me on the couch after I had rescued him from his big, bad room, he pointed to the TV and said, "Big Brother, Mommy!" Ya, he understands. If all he has to see is Julie Chen to know what show is on (and I swear I barely watched it this season), then he knows exactly what deal I've made with him. And he knows exactly what he's supposed to be doing come 8:30 at night. 

I'll leave you with a family photo we took the other night, the first one EVER where both kids are smiling. It's safe to say I was a little excited when I saw what we had captured (and on self-timer, no less). And notice Luke's new hair cut, his first ever. Grandma did it, because I am no good at cutting hair. Just ask my college roommate. 


We look like a well-rested family, right? Clara's the only one who is. Thank God she sleeps through anything.

21 comments:

  1. Love your family photo!!!
    I'm at a loss of anything to say about Luke's sleep training, but I wish you the best. I hope that others will have some suggestions so you can wake up well rested. No sleep every night is the pits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry, K. Sleep issues are the worst. I'm not sure what to say, but have you ever seen how Supernanny does that thing where the parent sits on the floor by the child's bed until they're asleep? Would that work? Where you ignore them but you're there? I don't know. I think she has the parent continually return them to bed if they get out without saying a word. After several times and probably hours and nights, it seems to work. And then keep doing that every time he wakes up during the night until he realizes that that's how it's gonna be. I hope you find something that works...soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Supernanny! We have tried her method of putting them back in over and over, but not the one where you sit by their bed. I have tried laying next to his bed, but that isn't enough for him. He either want to lay with me, or he just loses it the second I get up.. no matter how sure I am that he is sound asleep! The one where you put them back in over and over, that left me DRAINED, mentally and physically. Mainly because no matter how many nights I did it in a row (I got to eight once), it never got better. Maybe I just need her to come to my house!!

      Delete
  3. Cutest family ever, love the picture. I always say there is a reason they use sleep deppivation as a form of torture. I hope something clicks and Luke decides to sleep longer soon.
    I am a new follower and just read your adoption story, let's just say I was weeping, laughing and blubbering like a fool. My husband had to come downstairs to see what I was doing. You NEED to write a book about your experience. You are a fabulous writer and you capture the emotion of adoption like I have never experienced before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet!! That made my day :) I'm so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. No sleep advice from me, but I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. My kiddos are 7, 6.5 & 3.5 and I'm still up at least once most nights. If it isn't our youngest needing to go potty, it's our oldest with a nosebleed or a bad dream or our middle child just needing the reassurance that I'm still here. I've pretty much given up on the idea of uninterrupted sleep. I'm glad to hear Clara is a good sleeper and, for your sake, I hope Luke will figure it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry about the no sleeping, that is the worst. i don't have much advice, except that both of my babies became much better sleepers after they were completely weaned. this doesn't sound like your issue though, since you're not nursing him when he wakes up; mine just needed to know the milk shop was closed and then they quit waking for it. yours sounds like what you know it is-sleep training. if you love having him in your bed, could you just let him do that for a little bit longer and pick a day to firmly and absolutely start always putting him in his bed? this could potentially make things worse, i suppose, but i read an interesting article about the benefits of nursing until age 2 a big part of it (besides the immune boost) was the physical closeness. maybe he's just not quite ready not to be near mama, maybe he'll have to be a little closer to 2 (that's only 2 months away, right). he's always been a mama's boy. maybe a crazy idea but sounds like you've tried almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only weaning him because I have to due to medication I am taking. I am so sad to, too :( Which is probably why I'm still holding onto the once-a-day feedings. I definitely think he wants the physical closeness.. I think he is not happy being away from me. He just loves me too much ;) So maybe you're right.. maybe it's an age thing and it'll get better soon.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with sleep issues. That is the worst. Have you read the Sleep Lady's book? It is great, I would send it to you but I gave it away!
    Beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture!!! I have no sleep advice but I'll pray for you! C has sleep problems too and I'm secretly afraid they will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, that is so, so hard. My son was like that too. He didn't sleep through the night until he was 20 months old, and even then only with GREAT effort on my part (and I only did that because it was getting to the point that I was so tired that I was a dangerous driver). At the time I thought I had clinical depression and was thinking about getting on medication...when he finally started sleeping through the night, I felt like a completely new person.

    All that is to say, I've been there, and I know how hard it is. It was so painful when friends who were "with me" starting having their babies magically start sleeping 12 hours stretches with no effort on their part, and I was the only one left with a crazy sleeper. (If you have any interest, what finally worked for us was using the advice in the book Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West -- that book saved my life.)

    Anyway, you'll be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel so much better to read what you said about thinking you had depression.. because I do suspect at least part of my anxiety problem is due to the sleep issues, and it's good to hear I'm not the only one who felt like that. Thanks for the prayers! And I'm going to look into that book.

      Delete
  9. They could not be any cuter! What a beautiful family. That Clara is gorgeous! And Luke is muy guapo ;) I went through sleep training this summer it was AWFUL but took a few weeks now he sleeps perfectly. Have you read healthy sleep habits healthy child? Of course Luke may be older that the book deals with but I'm not sure. I've lent my copy out yet again. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. My. Goodness. I would just flip! I just couldn't do that. You all look AMAZING - what a beautiful family you have:). It's so funny, so many of your poses look like ours - one child perched on each parent:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photo of your family. Sleep - it's overrated - wait a couple of years and you won't be able to drag him out of bed! That is not meant to be flippant - it is written by a mom of two late teen-agers...it's true.

    The sleep issues - I would buy the Thomas the Engine bed. I would tell him he is NOT permitted to sleep in it until he can show you he is a big boy ... but make sure you play up the bed and the new area in his bedroom. Tell him that if he wants to sleep in it, he has to do so by your rules, i.e. no crying, no fussing. Do your night time routine and ask him if he is ready for his new bed - you may be surprised. And, if he comes in in the early morning hours, that is fine. He is still a baby ... like you write and trust me, he won't want to get into your bed in a couple of years.

    Do you close his bedroom door? I HATED having my bedroom door closed ... so that might be an issue he is having if you close his door.

    Praying for you ... I know you are exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about the bed.. I do think he is intrigued by it, so that might work. And you might be onto something about the door. Not that it's the door itself necessarily (I have asked him before if he wants his door open, but he doesn't seem to care and just keeps crying), but I'm starting to wonder if he has an issue with darkness. Because right now he is sound asleep in his bed napping. Why are naps so different, if not for the light? Maybe I'll get him a night light.

      Delete
  12. I am sad to say that I understand way too well. Isaiah does not sleep through the night, though his 2+ hour screaming fits are in the middle of the night for who know what reason. We too have tried everything. I kept counting down the days these last 12 months thinking that he is bound to grow out of this soon. Now, I have just accepted it (on good days lol) and drink lots of coffee!
    I can't wait to get our sleep deprived families together tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time! It was so great seeing you and your beautiful kiddos. And you hide your sleep deprivation well.. haha :)

      Delete
  13. I totally feel you on the lack of sleep. We're dealing with teething pain here, though, because Isaac generally sleeps just fine when he's feeling okay. Those days are so few and far between though, that I am just about run ragged. Some days I think I need to wean RIGHT NOW, because so many people's kids sleep through the night (and aren't nursing) so mine should be able to, right? And then I just can't do it. He isn't ready and I'm not ready. Maybe soon though, when he gets a little older. I'm not looking forward to the day Isaac is out of his crib. I have a feeling things will get a lot more complicated then!
    Anyway, I don't have any advice for you - just commiseration. Hope you get some rest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You poor thing! This is an unbelievably hard cross. Don't underestimate it. Don't they drive political prisoners crazy with similar tactics?

    So you know that having colic as a baby screws up their sleeping patterns, right? I survived this with my five year old. It was horrible. Nothing worked. Of course, now she is the cutest thing ever and sleeps fine. I don't have any advice. Just know that your Luke probably is on the "far end of the bell curve" when it comes to sleep and advice from the general public probably won't work.

    I'm now back there again with Baby Abigail and infant reflux. When her meds stop working after one week--my mental state is horrible. So don't believe any negative thoughts you are having about your capacity as a Mother or as a Wife. After two nights of full sleep your self-criticism and worries go back to a normal level.

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh another thing, your kid sounds really, really smart. That peeing thing--genius. It is actually really hard to raise smart kids. Right now you have Clara needing stimulation from you all day--and Luke testing his limits most of the night.

    There is no short answer, but just while you are dying on the bedroom routine--just think "Someday he'll use this intelligence to design a bridge...."

    ReplyDelete