Friday, December 31, 2010

Thankful...

...For every single one of your unbelievably helpful, kind, generous, moving and heaven-sent comments and emails. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think I cried every time I read one in the first few days after writing my last post and they, along with your prayers, lifted me up during a very difficult time. What you shared with me, your advice, your personal stories, your struggles... words cannot describe how much it helped.

...For my Lukie's incredible improvement this past week. I took him to the doctor last week and the pediatrician agreed with me that it was probably a dairy allergy. The doctor wanted me to try a soy formula, but I convinced him to let me continue breastfeeding and try giving up dairy first, and ever since I have he has been a different baby. He's still gassy and may have reflux, but he doesn't feed constantly and he is back to sleeping in 4-6 hour shifts at night. It's wonderful for him and me. My favorite part, besides the sleep, is seeing my baby awake and happy.

...For my family's help this past week. What a difference an extra set of hands makes. From entertaining Clara, to settling Luke down, to letting me nap, it's been a wonderful break.

...For my husband, who's been a rock during these first five weeks of having "twiblings" (my new favorite word). The poor guy is sick right now (as is Clara), so please say a prayer if you get a chance.

...For the miracle that changed my life forever, which all began (from my perspective) one year ago today. For a blogger who thought of me and became forever part of our family's story. For the many bloggers, friends, family and strangers who helped make it happen financially. And for a very special NICU nurse who gave a little three-pound baby girl the love she so desperately needed before I ever could.

...For my dearest Clara. It's hard to believe that one year ago tonight you didn't even have a name and yet now, as we cuddle in bed as I type this, you are the love of my life.

...For my sweet baby Luke, who shocked us all earlier this year. We all love you so much. And sometimes I still can't believe you're here!

...For a year in which our blessings were beyond comprehension. One year ago I had no babies, or any hope of having any any time soon (or so I thought). Now I have two. In the five-and-half years I suffered with infertility I never dreamed big enough to imagine a scenario like this. His ways are always so much better than our own.

...And for God, who makes all things possible.




22 comments:

  1. Twiblings- Love it! What a great year 2010 has been for you- hopefully 2011 is as good or better!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can count on one hand the number of times I have teared up reading a post, and this is one of them. I was following your story last year at this time... I couldn't pull away. And you are so right: Who could have imagined THIS??? God's blessings to ALL of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and we are so thankful you have written about it all, and we could follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. So happy things are getting easier, and tat you have been able to get some much needed rest. Thank God. 2010 was great for you guys, and I pray that 2011 will be just as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Kerry, I am so thankful that you have shared about your journey.
    You were the blog that introduced me to this Catholic IF blogging community and for that I am so grateful for that.
    Happy New Year to you. I pray that 2011 is even more amazing than 2010 for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three pounds?? Oh my-as if just getting her wasn't enough of a miracle!

    Praise God for your two beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. K-
    Praise God! You are so amazing. Your faith is inspiring! I feel so honored to have met you! I am glad that feeding is going better with Luke. Your babies are so adorable!
    Happy New Year!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh K, you've brought tears to my eyes!!!

    So much to be thankful for and so much to be hopeful for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At Mass this morning the priest mentioned in his homily some along these lines "you need to remember, it can't be your way, it has to be God's. His is so much better." And then to see you write something similar - yes, I am taking notice! God Bless you K and thank you as some of the other commenters have noted - for letting us come along on this journey with you! Happy NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, they're so cute! I'm so thankful to God for your miracles.

    Oh, and I just wrote a whole post about finding out Dominic has a dairy allergy! We've GOT to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, K, I'm SO glad to hear things are going better with little Luke. We believe Jackson has a milk intolerance as well, and just so you know, 75% of babies with a milk intolerance also have a soy intolerance. Going to soy is not usually the answer, so I am really glad you are sticking to your breastfeeding:). We are still seeing a GI specialist trying to figure out Jackson's issue - I still feel like we literally swim in puke all day!

    Anyway, your story is so inspiring and we are all so thankful that you are sharing it with us. Enjoy all your blessings on this New Year Day. Your babies are gorgeous. Here's to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to hear the happiness in your voice. You story is just awesome. I look at it and just praise God for his blessings. You give me hope...thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I'm tearing up! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! Congrats on a wonderful year, and here's hoping 2011 continues to bring you joy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! I'm SO glad you stuck to your guns and tried breastfeeding with no dairy in your diet first!! This will be so much better for Luke!

    I don't think I'll ever tire of your story,I just love the entire thing. The suddenness of Clara, the shock of getting pregnant, the seeming impossibility of getting TWO babies in less than a year! LOVE IT!

    I remain thrilled, and smile every time I think of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will never stop being amazed by this story. It's one for the books. So much beauty in it.

    I know I keep writing this, but Clara's hair is killing me. It is so cute and just when you think that girl can't get any cuter, she does!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a year 2010 has been for you!! I can only imagine the blessings God has instore for you in 2011. Good luck with giving up dairy...that would be impossible for me so kudos to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love this! Congrats on continuing to BF and fighting for it! The pics of your twiblings are just adorable! :)

    I go have my scheduled C this Friday! I almost can't believe that I too, 2 years ago thought I would never be a mom to a living baby, and here I am, proud mommy to a 16 mo. old and will be one again in 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know it's a little late, but I left a comment about giving up dairy while breastfeeding a dairy-sensitive child at Building Cathedrals a while ago and thought you might want to read it:
    http://buildingcathedrals.blogspot.com/2010/05/milk-allergy.html#comment-3954149549970107287

    Congratulations on your "twiblings!" So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't stopped by in ages! I'm so glad to stop by and see that you have another little one! Congratulations! One of my other bloggy buddies had a girl after having a boy and I come here and you've had a boy after having your girl! Big hugs. I'll try to pop in more often!

    ReplyDelete