Wednesday, November 24, 2010

He's coming soon

This baby's coming on Friday, possibly Saturday, if not sooner.

We found out at my 38-week appointment yesterday that, despite a week of bed rest, my blood pressure had not dropped (or risen, thank God). I also had some protein in my urine (the sample taken at that appointment) which I'd never had before, and I had gained a few pounds in the last week. My doctor assured me I was okay at the moment but that the best course of action was to get me "unpregnant." Things could escalate over the next several days, and I'd much rather have the baby while just dealing with hypertension than have him next week when pre-eclampsia has become an issue.

So, that all being said, I am being induced on Friday (I'll be 39 weeks). It's for medical reasons and I feel confident in my decision (as much of a "decision" as it was; it was medically advised and I trust my doctor). I actually will go in on Thursday night to start the "ripening" (I hate that word!) and stay the night there. Friday morning the actual induction will begin. My doctor will be working that day, which is great, and she wants to avoid a section of course. But... I am unfavorable for induction at the moment (still just 1 cm dilated, not very much effaced), so we're praying that things change by Friday, which is entirely possible.

With that in mind, she stripped my membranes yesterday. My weekly exams haven't hurt, despite her warning they would, but this did. Not terribly, but it wasn't fun either. She said there was a little blood and to expect more throughout the day (I saw a little).

Upon returning home - and back to good old bed rest - I started having slight cramping. I've had very obvious Braxton Hicks since week 18, but this was very different. BH never caused me any pain, just tightening, and this was more like period pain, which I know early labor contractions can feel like. By evening, I started timing them just out of curiosity. They were irregular, but seemed to be growing in intensity. A couple hours later they were really painful and my lower back ached terribly, to the point of making me cry. At that point they were three minutes apart. Ryan, home from work for dinner, packed his bag, but we decided he should go back to work and wait for our call.

Well, almost as soon as he left, the pain started to improve. It must have been false labor, which was very frustrating since it made the entire painful episode seem worthless. But I'm hoping that perhaps it at least caused me to dilate a little more. That's at least my wishful thinking.

I slept okay, but not very long, waking up early this morning to discover some blood-tinged mucus. Not sure if this was the bloody show (even this late in pregnancy that phrase still makes me cringe) or just some blood from my OB stripping my membranes. I tend to think it was the BS (perhaps, again, wishful thinking) because it was nothing like the slight spotting I'd had immediately following the appointment, and because it was in mucus. It was a good amount of mucus, possible more of the plug, which I believe I've been losing over the last three weeks (which really doesn't mean anything, although I've read the BS does possibly mean a little more).

I'll go in today for a meeting with a labor-and-delivery nurse, and then return Thursday night to be admitted. Oh how I hope I am more than one cm dilated at that time! It would be such a blessing to be favorable for induction, and to progress well once it begins. It'd also be nice if I went into labor naturally sometime in the next two days. I don't care if it's even before I get to eat Thanksgiving dinner! (speaking of which, my doctor assured me I can eat a normal Thanksgiving meal before heading to the hospital. Yay!)

So only two more days of bed rest left to go (as I've been saying lately, it's been hard for me and that's saying a lot because I'm admittedly someone who normally LOVES just laying around!) and just about three days until we'll meet our little boy. It's so hard to believe!

And no Black Friday shopping for me. Darn! Just kidding. I've actually never been in my whole life.

I can't thank you all enough for your prayers. They mean so much to me. I will be praying for all of you on Friday!

St. Gerard, pray for us. St. Maximilian Kolbe, pray for us. St. Gianna, pray for us. St. Therese, pray for us!

43 comments:

  1. WORK IT GIRL! Can't wait to see this miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I'm praying for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Cannot wait to meet him and we will be praying for you.

    (stripping membranes sounds . . . just bad.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you! Sorry you have to deal with the blood pressure/pre-e stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that is so soon!!!! I am so excited. I can't wait to see his little face!

    And I agree with Ann--I don't know what "stripping membranes" means, but it sounds really, REALLY unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! So excited for you! I know this is a delicate time, being excited and anxious and afraid all at the same time. We will keep you in prayer over these next few days as your little miracle baby makes his way into your arms. God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all goes smoothly! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was induced around 39 weeks with being only 1 cm dilated and I had a perfect labor and vaginal delivery. It can happen even with induction!!! Although it sounds like your little one might come before :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe he is coming so soon!!! I'm anxious for u. I'm in hospital till Friday or Saturday so I will have plenty time to pray for u and baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my goodness! :D I'm so excited for you!! Praying that all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be praying for you. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be a Thanksgiving to remember!!

    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Membranes, mucus, oh my! So excited for you to meet your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your family are included in our prayers -- hope everything goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, having your membranes stripped is never a pleasant experience. With both of my girls my midwife stripped my membranes and sent me home to drink an incredibly gross castor oil and grape juice cocktail. Each time I was holding a baby in my arms less than 10 hours later.

    I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. COngrats, so close! And on Thanksgiving, no less, very appropriate! I'll be sending happy thoughts and labor vibes your way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a Thanksgiving it will be, in so many ways! The hospital randomly served my best friend a Thanksgiving meal after she gave birth (it was September) and she's repeated the tradition on her son's birthday every year to show how thankful they are for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. After all these years of praying to be pregnant- now we're praying for you to be UN-PREGNANT!!!!! I love it!!

    Hope baby boy comes soon soon soon!!! What a blessed Thanksgiving it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So exciting!! You will always remember eating your Thanksgiving dinner then going to the hospital to meet your son!

    And don't let yourself get down about the painful contractions that go away. From my understanding, even if they don't dialate you any further they are STILL doing some good. Whether it's thinning you out, helping tone your uterus, or preparing the baby for the stress of labor. Not that their fun, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Saying a prayer for the safe (and quick) delivery of your son...God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My brother was born on Thanksgiving. So she got to eat the Thanksgiving feast while holding her new son. Praying the same for you. May God bless your delivery...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh K, SO stinkin' excited for you!!!! This is IT!! woo hoo!! I agree with Katilin above, whether or not your contractions dilated you further, they are still doing something. Most likely you're effacing further, which will mean less work for your body once you're in labor! This is fantastic news and I am so thrilled to be "in the know"! Many, many blessings and prayers. We'll say some extra Rosaries over the next few days for your labor and a blessed outcome! Hang in there. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. prayers for all to go well and for you to be introducing your sweet boy to his big sis soon

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO EXCITED FOR YOU! Sounds like your body is gearing up for labor! :) woohoo!
    I hope the induction goes well if you don't go before! Praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't wait to meet him!! Hope everything goes perfectly - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. praying for you!!!
    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cannot wait to hear you are holding your little boy! We'll all be praying for you and waiting with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm looking forward to pictures of your little man! Wow! I cannot believe he is almost here! I will pray that the induction & labor go well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We'll be praying K! We are so excited for you guys!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh and I hope we are back in time to visit you at the hospital! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can hardly believe it!! The time has come!!! I am getting butterflies in my stomach for you, girl! I cannot wait!! Ahhhhh!

    Praying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So much to be Thankful for this year...Prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful Thanksgiving blessing! I will be praying for you K and calling in some of the big hitters too! All the Angels and Saints, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you SO much for your kind comment the other day! I've been following your blog for some time now (...although only "officially" for a little while) and am so thrilled for you and your family--both for your adorable daughter and now son!

    I'll be praying!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. K-I just can't believe it!! I am so excited for you, you will definitely be in my prayers. A mother twice over in a year!! Just go with the flow and have no expectations, that it what one of the midwives told me. No matter what, you have a baby boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I read this post earlier today but am only now getting a chance to sit down and comment. As such, you've been on my mind all day. It's hard to remember where you were this time last year what with how eventful this past year has been. Now look at what you are about to do--namely GIVE BIRTH with your not-yet-one-year-old at home! This is such an exciting time for you and for everyone that has followed your journey over the years.

    Many prayers for you and baby boy to make his appearance in a timely and healthy manner! Enjoy that Thanksgiving dinner and know that you are being lifted up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stripping membranes makes me hurt just reading it and typing it! Ouch!

    YAY FOR BABY! Praying for you and the little one and can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Girl, I am definitely offering prayers for all of your special intentions for a safe and healthy delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I will pray for you for safe delivery!
    Best wishes to your whole family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Praying for you and your baby boy! Can't wait to hear he is here :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. So exciting Karey! I can't wait to "meet" him!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dying to hear the news about your baby boy and delivery :) Praying for you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete