Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Getting close

It seems like I spend some time every morning thinking of a new way to say how close we are. Yesterday there were several: "32 days," "next month," "three weeks until my parents arrive," "two weeks until we're in the two-week window." And, my personal favorite, "less time than has passed since Clara's baptism," because that seems like it was just yesterday!

I'm currently 35-and-a-half weeks. Tomorrow starts my weekly OB appointments, with next week's appointment being a biggy. That's when my doctor will, hopefully, be able to check to see if she feels the baby's head. The baby's head! The reason for this is to see if he's still breech but, to me, the excitement is over finding out there's actually a real human baby in there! With a head...that she can feel. (And hopefully it's not feet she feels, or else we might be scheduling a tentative c-section for 39 weeks.)

I'm starting to feel a little better, but I honestly think it's actually because my body is adjusting and I'm getting used to it. I know what to do when back pain, heartburn and side pain strike. But - and there's a TMI warning on this one - I have developed a new favorite third-trimester symptom... peeing myself. Sorry! It happens when I sneeze or cough. I actually have to laugh every time it happens!

I have heard the baby's movement sometimes lessens at this point, because they are running out of room, but my little guy seems more active than ever. I feel what I think are feet on my right, a butt in the middle up high, and (maybe this is wishful thinking) hopefully a head causing some pressure down low. I love it! I could sit there and watch him move all day.

And, as the end nears, it still never gets old thinking about how long we waited for this and the impossibility of it all. We walked around in a daze those first few weeks after getting a positive test, something we never thought possible (not after more than five years...there were even statistics that supported my pessimism!). While the daze has (somewhat) lifted, it's still totally unbelievable to us. We think constantly about what we were doing last year this time, how depressed I was, how hopeless I thought life was going to be for the remainder of my time on the planet. Soon it will be one year since we received a message from a stranger while in adoration. Then, about a week later, it will be one year since Clara came into the world at only 30 weeks (something we didn't know was happening at the time). A month after that, we'll remember the anniversary of getting "the call" (actually it wasn't so much "the call" as it was "the Facebook message" from a fellow blogger..haha!). And, of course, there will be the first anniversary of laying eyes on our daughter for the very first time.

Soon, those thoughts will turn into "what we were doing two years ago" and infertility will fade further and further into the past. It's inevitable. And, after all, it was always my prayer that it would. I am so blessed in that I don't feel the sting of it anymore. And the pregnancy didn't erase it; it was already gone when we brought home little Clara. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but it was for me and for that I am forever grateful.

Of course, I can call to mind those feelings at the drop of a hat. I'll never forget them and infertility will always be a part of my past (not to mention I will always have all my old blog posts to remind me of how terribly dark and distraught I was). I don't know why it was in God's plan to bless me and my husband in the way that He did, just like I don't know why He allowed us to suffer so deeply for so many years (another form of a blessing, I might add). Or why so many others still do.

I must cut this post off since I can't sit much longer (trust me, it's a pain that reminds me of my abundant blessings and I always offer it up for all of you still waiting). But before I go, here are a couple pictures of my little Clara on Halloween.

And speaking of what we were doing last year, I'm sure Sophie is relieved that I finally have a human baby to dress up instead of her...





16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Clara is so cute in that outfit! I clicked on your blog hoping for some costume pics, so thank you for sharing!

    This post made me all teary eyed. I'm so glad to read about how God has healed your heart through your sweet Clara! She is truly a gift. I couldn't help while reading it to think that if you hadn't suffered, you wouldn't have her...and she is so so great.

    While different, I often think this way about my Gianna. She is just the sweetest child ever, such a perfect little girl. I often think about how I wouldn't have her if my Therese hadn't died (I got pregnant 7 months later and would never have conceived that soon if I had a live nursing baby)...and while the pain of losing Therese is a part of my life and who I am, I have so much peace because I see the blessing of Gianna's life and I can't question God on that one! It's different, I know, but your post made me think about the connection between my two girls, and God's crazy plan for our lives. I know we won't ever really understand why He does things the say He does...but sometimes it helps my feeble mind and distrustful heart to see these glimpses of brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara is ADORABLE!!!!

    You are almost there girl. I promise, you won't be pregnant forever. (Although, I definitely remember thinking that I was a freak of nature and was surely going to be pregnant forever at 41 weeks pregnant!)

    Hang in there and best wishes with the delivery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this. I am so "right there." First of all, I pee. All.the.time. Dh is used to me saying "oh sh**" or laughing and he looks up and says "pee yourself?" as if it happens everyday, lol. And it really does. I remember when my doc said he felt the babies head, crazy amazing. Baby is head down and as low as it can get right now. My weekly appt is today and hoping I have progressed. I feel like I have been thinking "any minute" for the past month and that is a long time to think that. So, if you can, be prepared, but expect the baby on time. I think it may keep you from feeling as overdue as I do now. ;) I am glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you are getting SO close! I can't wait to see the post that says, HE HAS ARRIVED:). And I can already see the pictures of him with his adorable big sister! I am in awe every day of those thoughts you talked about...remembering where we were just a year ago. I think about it all the time and just can't believe how much can happen in a year, after so many years of NOTHING happening, at least in that area. We are so blessed.

    Oh, and I have had one episode of pee-ing myself so far...I just laughed, and then it was there. LOL! My husband was quite amused. I have a feeling I have more of those moments to come:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED THIS POST! I cried reading your old post about the woman in adoration. So.unbelievable. And seeing where you are today gives me suuuuccchhh great hope!!!

    The pee thing, btw, is hilarious! I burst out in laughter when I read this! haha. Hang in there these next weeks and I can't wait to hear about the next appt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little bug :) -- So thrilled that the end is just around the corner - truly it is hard to believe, and such an amazing miracle. He will be here before you know it! Praying for you K!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dare I say, Clara looks about as happy in that costume in that last picture as Sophie Belle used to look her in little outfits ;) (hehehe)

    I really like this post. Every time I read one of your posts lately, something you say hits a chord with me and chokes me up. Today it was how infertility is fading into the past. I sometimes think about how blessed I am to have been brought through my suffering to the place where I am now, but in reality I'm in the same place, just with a different spiritual outlook. And I wonder if I will always been in this place, and if infertility will always be a part of my present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful reflection. I definitely related to it. I love the part where you said Clara not pregnancy healed your brokeness! So wonderful. She is such a blessing! Can't wait for baby boy to join your family! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Overjoyed just doesn't quite encompass the feelings of happiness I have for you all... Congrats on making it to almost-36 and to weekly visits with Dr. W!!! I heard of her recent happy news, so hopefully your visits will have more of a positive tone than mine did! lol. Prayers and peace to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome post and reflection on the blessings of yesterday, today, and tomorrow:)

    I am SO excited and still in a state of complete shock that you are SO close!!! I cannot believe you are 35 and a half weeks along and I am almost 22 weeks. The other day I realized I am closer to delivery than conception and that was an awesome realization!! Its like every passing day is so surreal, so wonderful to have arrived at.

    I understand how infertility fades in the background, but I still cannot even read blog posts by people struggling with it without tearing up. I think it is still more raw in me ... and I am thinking it always will be. I think part of that is a gift, because my husband is called to treat it, which means I am called to sacrifice for that, too in many ways. And bc of how heavy my heart is for it, those small sacrifices just seem worth it if he can help women in the process.

    Also loved RSR's comment. God's ways are higher than ours, that is true. I have seen this in my own life and in SO many bloggers' lives ... over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing post! I can't believe that your precious Clara will be a big sister very soon!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh K, I'm so happy for you and R! Clara looks just so sweet in her constume!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pictures! I can't believe time has gone so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful costume!! You are getting so close!!

    Don't worry about the peeing, I did, too. It was really bad when I had bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet your baby is head-down! The sensations you describe are similar to what I am feeling, and my midwife said my baby is head down. She also said feeling more movement up top is a good thing. Also, love your reflection! Thanks!
    -A
    http://babydistrict.wordpress.com
    http://inallthingsgood.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you can laugh about the bladder control issue--it might not go away after the birth. Mine sure didn't! It helps to do kegels when you know you are going to sneeze and as soon as you are laughing. Even then, it still isn't always enough, but it does usually keep it from happening, at least enough to not have to change my outfit. Yay for the baby being head-down!

    ReplyDelete