Yup, I'm on it.
I had my 37-week appointment this morning and my blood pressure was high again. This time it was right at the cut-off to be considered to have gestational hypertension, so my OB put me on bed rest.
We're waiting for the results of the urine test to see if I have pre-eclampsia and if I do, what will likely happen is that I'll be induced next week at 38 weeks. If it comes back negative, then it's considered gestational hypertension and we'll discuss inducing at 39 weeks.
I momentarily googled both conditions but I'm done with that. I have to remember I am on the low end of the spectrum AND I'm 37 weeks. These conditions are much more serious prior to being full term. At this point we just want the baby to grow a little more, but he'd more than likely be perfectly fine right now.
The doctor told us we really needed to have someone watch Clara for me, which made me realize that bed rest really meant bed rest! We are very blessed because my mother-in-law offered to come for Thursday and Friday, and then my parents arrive on Saturday for three weeks.
I'm pretty calm about everything and I hope I can stay that way. Of course, I don't want to be induced and we're praying I go into labor on my own before then (I'm still only 1 cm dilated, so I'm hoping that changes a little too). My doctor of course hopes I can avoid a c-section but did discuss with me the possibility of one if I don't dilate after being induced. (I asked her how long she'd let me labor and while she said it's pretty hard to put a number on it right now, she ended up saying 12 hours without dilating is a ball-park amount of time before moving to a section. Anyone know if that's pretty typical?)
So, for now, I'm resting. And we're asking for St. Gerard's intercession, as well as the two saints we will soon be choosing between for Baby Boy's name. There are a lot of really strong heavenly helpers in our corner!
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Bed rest
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I labored for 12 hours with Pitocin (the only way I have ever labored) and was given a c-section since I had not progressed from 4cm since about 3 hours in. I was disappointed at first, but when in the operating room and hearing his cry...well I am tearing up just typing that. You will be so excited to meet him however it happens!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you while on bedrest. Hopefully the time will pass quickly for you!
I will pray for you!!! Make sure to take good care of yourself!!!
ReplyDeletePraying for you girl! Wow! Bedrest! Glad you have help!
ReplyDeletePraying when induced you go into labor! If not a healthy baby is the goal!
We got your back girl!
PS - I only say that because I know how we ladies are, we don't like to lie around and do nothing ;)
ReplyDeleteVery excited for you! :) :) :) Hugs from Omaha!
aw that's not so fun. Praying you can rest as best as possible.
ReplyDeletePraying for you! I hope that you keep your phone or laptop charged for frequent blogging :) It's wonderful that you have family on their way to help.
ReplyDeleteoh goodness! I'm sorry. I pray it all goes well. I don't know much about preeclampsia but my understanding was that the real risk is premature labor and childbirth ... and you're beyond the stage where that is a concern, so that's good.
ReplyDeletePre-E at 37 weeks is not fun at any time, but if you are going to get it, 37 weeks is the time to get it.
ReplyDeleteAs an aside, both my kids came early -- 37 and 38 weeks. They both were 100% healthy and are both, in my opinion, the coolest kids around.
I was put on bedrest at the same point with the same condition/plan. My water broke the night I was to go to the hospital to start the induction. Try and lay low. Our son is just 13 months and a day older than our daughter but he did fine with me on bedrest. He could reach my face on the couch and I could reach down to play simple games with him. We didn't always have help so my husband would pack a little cooler with drinks and snacks in it for us while he worked. A friend thoroughly babyproofed our breezeway and we gated it and spent the days in there. I kept diaper supplies tucked underneath the couch and just leaned over to change my son when needed. Not pretty but you do what works to keep everyone safe and healthy.
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for you! I'm so glad you have help! :)
ReplyDeletePrayers, prayers, and more prayers! Sounds like God is already taking care of the timing with your parents coming in on Saturday!
ReplyDeletePrayers for you! After my water broke they put me on Pitocin and let me labor for about 12 hours...but, the baby wasn't liking it (although I was!!) so, C-Section it was. But, the C-Section was so easy...I missed the thrill of giving birth. Like so many have said to me, the most important thing is a healthy baby. Amen. But, still, I am praying that you get your birth plan in every way you imagined.
ReplyDeletepraying for you and baby boy! I'm so glad you have help! prayers that you go into labor on your own!
ReplyDeleteGoodness! Bedrest does not sound fun! Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteAnd 12 hours seems a little short to me-"first timeers" can go much much longer than that and still totally be in the normal range. Just my opinion, and only cause you asked :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePraying for you K! I am there now and it's no fun, but just keep remembering how far you are already!! That baby boy is in good hands... And there is a light at the end of this very short tunnel!
ReplyDeleteOh, stay off your feet. It may be tough, but you can do it! I'll be praying for you.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the bedrest, but 37 weeks is technically full term, so you have made it!
ReplyDeleteI am just so excited for you. And to "meet" this little boy!!
Enjoy your rest!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so sorry this took you by suprise. I know you must be so concerned, but I really beleive that you and baby boy will be fine and that they are watching you so carefully!
ReplyDeleteGrow, little one, grow!
Ask about cervadil starting ASAP to ripen your cervix. It helps to get things moving/soft and will often make the labor process (pitocin!) much easier. I've heard it can be particularly helpful with a 1st baby, because your cervix has never dilated before and it can take a long time just to go from 1-4cm.
ReplyDeletePraying all is well! Your baby will be just fine even if he is born tonight. Prayers that he stays in there at least another week, and that you go into labor naturally or respond well to the pitocin.
Oh man, what a big bummer. I had high bp at 38 weeks with Mikey and all it took was being on bed rest for it to come down and then I went another week and went into labor naturally. And Dominic was born at 37 weeks and was totally fine! And by c-section, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just focus on that baby and know God has you under His wing. Praying for you!
ReplyDeletePraying for you K.. sent a request to our Poor Clare Colettines for intercession also.. God bless love you, t.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, girl! I'll be thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteMy Naomi was born at 37 weeks, and I labored naturally for hours and still needed a C-section. It wasn't my ideal outcome for the experience, but at the end of the day, I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl. And that's what matters.
Use your bed rest to enjoy the calm before the storm! He'll be here before you know it :)
I am glad you are taking it in stride and keeping perspective. Bed rest with a little one must be so hard-thank God for mother in laws! Just sent you an email :).
ReplyDeleteawwwww man!!!!!! WIsh I could watch Clara for you!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, good luck, hun! You are almost to the end! You are very blessed to have that family near to help. I'm not sure what we would do should I have to go on bedrest. I try not to think about it- raises my blood pressure too high:). Anyway, stay in that calm place and try to rest. Keep us updated when you can...thinking of you!
ReplyDeletePrayers coming for you! Take it easy and I am glad you have some help for Clara!
ReplyDeleteObviously take this with a big grain of salt (or an entire container), coming from a never-been-preggo, but I think 12 hrs is very typical for hospital births, and is a tad on a longer side of normal.
ReplyDeleteI recommend watching The Business of Being Born if you haven't seen it already. It may prepare you for what to expect, and how hard you may have to "fight" certain things. Because while 12 hrs may be typical before they turn to section, it's definately not typical to only labor 12 hrs and deliver naturally for the first born child.
UGH. That stinks, I was pretty much on modified bed rest at the end because I was so huge. That is so great you have some help. I know it was wonderful when people just brought food for us at the end, I couldn't stand for very long. Hope you have some good books and try to rest beacause you will need it! Let me know if you have any questions about induction/section. I went through both.
ReplyDeleteSorry that you have to go on bed rest and you are having to deal with blood pressure issues. I'm glad that Baby Boy is 37 weeks and will be fine whatever ends up happening.
ReplyDeleteA really great, safe way to soften your cervix for labor is to take evening primrose oil pills, internally, not orally. You can take them every day until you go into labor, and it can really help your cervix to be softer and more ready. It's worth a try in case you end up with an induction! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI second TCIE's comment. I personally labored for about 14 hours before I really started dilating... Of course I had some scar tissue. In hindsight I wish I had tried the Evening Primrose Oil, so second that as well.
ReplyDeleteAlso, know that there really isn't a deadline. If you do end up laboring for 12 hours without dilating and feel up to continuing you can always say "No thank you for now" when they offer the section. Trust your gut... You are the mama, your doctor works for you.
Praying for you!
KUP you are getting so close! Praying that you will go into labor on your own.
ReplyDeleteI am new to the blogging world..thanks for your blog- it has given me a lot of hope!!
ReplyDeletehey there-- checking in-- how's it going???
ReplyDeleteWill be praying for you this weekend!
ReplyDelete