Monday, October 4, 2010

To my baby

My Clara,

You fell asleep on me tonight and I just stared at you, your puffy red lips still sucking on an imaginary bottle.

You were fussy this evening. I'm pretty sure it was because you're teething - your first tooth has been slowly rising from your bottom gum for more than a week now - and all you wanted was to be held. I'd put you down by your toys and sit by you on the floor, only to have you climb right back onto my lap and into my arms.

I don't like that you're hurting, of course, but I'm happy to comfort my baby girl. And it reminds me that I'm your mama.

This made me cry tonight, thinking about how much you need me. Your daddy tells me all the time that I'm your whole world. I always tell him how much you love everyone - your dada, your dog, your cat, your Nana, your Grandma, your grandpas. But he insists you know I'm your mama and love me most of all.

I love you most of all. I'm so blessed to be your mama. I love seeing you first thing in the morning when you're so happy and, lately, so loud. I love watching you play, talking away to your toys. I love how you hold your bottle with your left hand, wave your squeaky bunny with your right, and play with your ball between your feet, all at the same time. I love how you play in your crib when you're supposed to be napping. I love how you explore, how you're never afraid, how you have an enormous personality in such a teeny tiny body. I love your smile, your laugh, your wavy hair, your big brown eyes. But more than anything I love being your mama.

I'll remember this time, when it was just the two of us girls, forever. But you will just have pictures. You won't have any memory of being an only child, of being my whole world, before you had to share me with your brother and, some day, maybe more siblings as well.

We thought it'd be just you and us for a while. I was happy to only ever have you, if God had wanted it that way. I never thought we'd have a mere two-and-a-half months before a baby started growing in my womb.

I have felt guilty that your first year was with your mama tired, nauseous, sore. But you are always my first priority. And you have been so understanding. You don't want anything from me other than food and love and a clean diaper.

In two short months from now you'll, God willing, have a baby brother. You'll be a big sister. I know you'll absolutely love him. Even though you don't really know he's in there, you kiss my belly, which amazes me since no one ever showed you what to do. I made sure to get it on video to show you one day when you don't think you want him anymore.

I cried tonight while you slept in my arms, but I wasn't sad. I'm so excited to meet your brother, who I know will be your baby from the moment you can say it. But I can't believe our time, my time, with just you is already coming to a close. The time when you taught me how to be a mommy.

No matter how many brothers and sisters you have, you will always be my baby, my daughter, my firstborn, the love of my life. And I'll always be your mama.

38 comments:

  1. You made me cry and cry, AYWH! What a beautiful reflection and sweet picture of you and Clara. Although I was so excited to welcome our second child, I was also sad to be saying goodbye to just having one "baby" (who was over two at the time, so not nearly the baby that Clara will still be). But everything about welcoming a second child to the family was wonderful and now the two are truly best friends. Big sister never wishes little sister weren't around.

    The other day I went back and read one of your posts from last September--it's so, so amazing to see God's will work out in your life. Though I've never struggled with IF, your story really does give me hope that those things you think could never, ever happen (like having two babies in a year!)... well, with God, they can. Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with all of us in cyberspace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow k, I dont' cry and I'm crying..this was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears here as well. Such a beautiful post - so clearly captured all those feelings as you move from one to two. We welcomed our precious little guy 7 months ago, and his now 3 year old big sister adores him - and watching their relationship develop is an incredible blessing and a privilege. But I so related to your intense feelings for your little girl and this special time with her. Thanks for sharing - and putting my own feelings into words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears here, too. As you know, I can totally relate to all those feelings - excitement, sadness at the lost alone time with your first, guilt for being pregnant during their first precious months. I'm so glad you wrote that for her. I have been thinking of starting a journal and writing these things to Jackson, too. I want him to know that HE was my world, just him, for 6 months. He made my heart complete. For that, I will always be thankful. I feel like I have to write those things now, before baby girl makes her appearance. Anyway, thanks for sharing...I felt every word...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She will cherish these words for her whole life. Ah, if only every child knew such love! You are a wonderful mother and a blessing to all your children, the ones here and in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read! Clara is such a beautiful little girl in every way! I have been reading your blog, starting from the very beginning, for 2 weeks now, and you have given me so much hope! I pray for you and your family and I know Clara will be the best big sister ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you and your baby! So sweet...Omgosh I need a bay right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. Clara and her baby brother are so blessed to be in such a loving family!!

    Andrew and I went from 9 years of just us to having our Isabella become the love of our life. We enjoy her so much and I have mixed feelings about opening our hearts/home to a sibling. Andrew and I often talk about how we would LOVE more children...that being parents together is the most beautiful/precious/wonderful thing we have ever done! But there are days, when I feel like Isabella is my miracle and I want her to have my full attention. I know that people say "the best gift you can give your child is a sibling", but for us infertiles, it doesn't always come so easy. I just pray that I can be the best mommy to Isabella and all the children that God blesses us with.

    P.S. Clara is so adorable!!! Praying for you and your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful and the picture of the two of you is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful and so sweet!!!! I started following your blog after you had just brought Clara home. Praise God for the blessings He has showered down on you!!!

    She's going to be a GREAT big sister!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful post! You are such a great mama and will love love love having another child! Such a gift to your little girl. And, oh my GOLLY can she get any cuter?!!! Such a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwh, so precious. Clara will love this when she is older. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clara has grown into such a BEAUTIFUL little girl. Those EYES!! Seriously, the melt my heart and I'm not even her mama!

    During all the chaos of driving to get Clara, get her home safely, and navigating the legal stuff, it was never so clear as it is now - today - how PERFECT God's will was for you in Clara. Could you have planned it out any more beautifully if you tried? I don't think so!
    Only God Himself could have masterminded this all ... Clara has been a blessing not only to your family, but to ours as well, just in watching her come to you, then grow and thrive with you, and soon become a big sister.

    I feel so blessed to have been able to be a small part of it all, to be alongside you in this journey, and to have SUCH a similarly beautiful one myself! (God is SO good). Thanks for your friendship, and keep those pics coming of Clara and of course the new baby too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolute beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful!

    I cannot believe that you were one of the first IF blogs I followed a year and a half ago and how your life has been led by God so clearly. This gives me enormous hope and I am so very happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand these feelings well. But now, there is something WONDERFUL about the fact that my boys will only know them both being there. 8.5 months separated my two little guys. It's so hard and so wonderful and so emotional all wrapped up. You captured my feelings quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, beautiful post. My eyes are filled with tears...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful post/letter to Clara. I hope you share this with her one day. I am trying to find words to write to my son on his first birthday. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! Print it and save it for her baby book! This is so precious. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes. It's always a good idea to savor the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. So beautiful. And so much longer than my letter... I guess it helps to have an actual baby who exists as the recipient ;)

    I can't wait to see both Clara and Lucy interacting with their new little siblings soon. I have watched them both grow so much over this past year (and yes, LifeHopes, your and AYWH's stories are EERILY similar!!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WHA!!! Totally crying. Sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful reflection - and you got the pregnancy hormones all fired up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh K, this is gorgeous. Beautiful reflections. Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful letter! Congratulations for your children!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful post. It is bittersweet to think of Clara being a big sister so soon! Enjoy your time with your sweet little girl.
    JC (formerly Tucked Beneath His Wing)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the most beautiful posts I have ever read on your blog. I am so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So so beautiful! You'll be so glad you wrote this in years to come. One day she'll read this and it will mean far more to her than it does now to you. She has grown into such a beautiful child, thanks to you and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful post :). And a beautiful little girl...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this post; I felt the same way with my son before my daughter was born. What a precious time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was a beautiful post. Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. ah! I am crying! So beautiful! Thanks, K!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I started crying with the first line and ended balling my eyes out.

    This is so beautiful. Oh Clara, you are so precious. Oh, Mama, you are such a holy and blessed mother! What a witness to a Mother's capacity for love to grow and grow and grow and expand in an infinite embrace of all her children.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is 3 in the morning and I am bawling like a baby. I have been reading your blog the past few weeks but haven't been online much the past week so I was catching up and I am so totally and utterly touched by this one. Your Clara reminds me of my Little "A". We had her from 10 months to 20 months but were unable to adopt her because her mother took her back. You sharing the story of Clara being fussy because she was cutting her first tooth reminded me of when A cut her first tooth when we had her...when I was her Momma. Clara is so very lucky to have you! I also have PCOS and struggle with infertility. My husband and I have been tryin for 5 years now. My weight is a very big issue and I have to lose enough to take the next step in our Infertility treatments. YOU GIVE ME HOPE! THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!! You are a blessing! I pray your next 5 to 6 weeks are easy ones :) I will be praying that your back pains ease up as well. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete