Monday, October 18, 2010

33 week appointment

First of all, I can't thank you enough for your kind comments and emails on my last post. You made me feel so much better and I'm so grateful for your support.

Now, I'll apologize ahead of time because I'm afraid this may be a stream of consciousness post...

I had my worse back pain episode yet on Saturday. Is it just me, or does back pain make you insane? I think I've said it before, but it's no wonder people with chronic back pain have issues with becoming addicted to pain medication. Maybe I should start offering my discomfort up for them.

So Ryan won a free lunch cruise at work and we decided to use it on Saturday. Wow, big mistake. First, I had to ride two hours in the car to get to it, then two hours were spent on the boat, then a two hour ride back. Sitting, the whole time. Have I mentioned sitting is the worst for my pain? Laying down or even standing is much better.

Well the cruise was sort of cheesy, the food (which is why we really went.. I'll never pass up a free meal!) was pretty bad, and I was writhing in pain the entire time. And the feeling of being trapped.. on a boat.. was not great psychologically for me when all I wanted to do was get home and lie down. I cried as we walked back to the car. Ugh.

The night before the cruise and the night of the cruise were tough as well. It felt like I hardly slept, tossing and turning with back and side pain all night long (and, of course, peeing every hour). Yesterday was great though. I took it easy, was able to take a morning nap, and even when I went out (and sat for an hour at Mass), I was fine. And then I slept great last night, which leads me to believe my days and nights are definitely linked, for better or worse.

Today, at my 33 week OB appointment, I told my doctor about the pain and, of course, she said there's nothing much I can do. But when I mentioned not sleeping at night, and how it makes the pain worse the next day, she decided to prescribe me Ambien (which she said was perfectly safe for me and baby). We'll see if I decide to take it. I think I will if my back pain is especially bad at night.

I also asked about how everyone is surprised at how far along I am, based on the size of my belly. She assured me I am measuring just fine and am very "appropriately pregnant." I like that!

And the surprise of all surprises, I didn't gain any weight the past two weeks! But then I wondered, is that necessarily a good thing? The baby is supposedly gaining, which would mean either he didn't gain or I actually lost? Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it and just be happy I have no additional weight to add to my back's already large load.

I also asked more about the baby being breech and what that would mean in a few weeks (she already told me that she will most likely be able to tell at my 36-week appointment if he's still breech when she does that strep test.. apparently she'll be able to feel the head if he's head down). She said what typically happens is that they'll schedule a c-section for 39 weeks (my aunt, a L&D nurse, had already assured me they do an u/s right before the section in case he has turned) and, if possible, we'll discuss doing a version in the meantime. She didn't want to go into too much detail about the version, though, since it may not come to that and there are a lot of unknowns at the moment regarding it. I got the feeling she felt that discussing it might unnecessarily cause me to worry.

I have had a feeling of where the baby might be positioned as of late and asked her about it. At first she said I probably can't really tell, but the more I described his movement (or lack thereof in certain areas) and what I've been feeling, she thought it was a good sign. I used to feel kicks way down low (which were scary at first, like something was coming out of me!), but those have completely disappeared. For a few days last week I distinctly felt that he was transverse. When I felt any movement, I felt it across the entire top of my belly, from the left to the right, like a wave. Now, if I had to guess, I would say he's diagonal, with his feet on my upper right side. I told the doctor basically all of the movement I feel is in my upper right side, and she thought that was a great sign because you typically feel their feet rather than their head.

I know there's still a lot of time left, but we're just crossing our fingers and praying our hearts out that he turns himself (or has already).

I'll go back in two weeks and then after that my appointments become weekly. It's so crazy to think I'm almost to the point of weekly appointments!

On another topic, I'm starting to think about packing my hospital bag. In just about a month I'll be in the "zone" where it could possibly happen any day. I want to have the car seat purchased by then (well, we could use Clara's in a pinch) and my bag packed. We'll see if that really happens. Anyway, do any of you moms have any advice? At first I thought I wanted to get a cute pair of pajamas (I currently wear non-maternity shorts and tank tops to bed and they're getting uncomfortable!), but then I heard it's not practical and could get ruined (especially if you have a vaginal delivery). But I'm still thinking a robe might be good? Slippers? Please let me know what you brought, what worked, what didn't, etc., etc.

And in an answer to prayer, my mom found out she is getting time off of work to come down at Thanksgiving and stay for quite a while afterward (my dad will come and return home for a time to deal with work). I am so beyond excited. I am already dreaming of her helping with Clara in my last week of pregnancy, and, of course, after. We're so blessed!

Alright, Clara needs to eat so I'll wrap this up. Thanks so much for your prayers. Please know I am praying and offering up pain for all of you still waiting. You are never far from my thoughts.

27 comments:

  1. If you are having back pain now then I would think it's highly possible to expect some back labor. I would find a good massager that hubby can rub your lower back with during labor. Or maybe even check about a heating pad? It's the little things :-) I always thought it would be neat to have a framed picture of the most recent ultrasound to uses as a focal point. I would think it would help remember what you are working towards when the going gets tough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have missed it, but have you considered a chiropractor for your back pain? My OB actually recommended it during both of my pregnancies, and it was the most amazing relief.

    Also, my last birth I birthed in a hospital gown, but I brought my own towels and nightgowns, slipper, and robe for my postpartum stay. That was great -- I felt like a real person instead of a patient. I also brought my computer and cell phone, with chargers. Those were also very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your back feels better! I'm in that "can't get comfortable" stage at night too.

    As for the hospital bag, I found a cute, soft, purple (e.g., dark enough to hide the blood) robe at Target. Some of the other items I threw in there: a Bop.py with a pretty pattern to look at, a wooden massager, water bottles (I hear the plastic pitchers and straws at the hospital make the water taste like plastic), small crucifix & St. Gerard & St. Gianna medals, candy for the nurses, unscented bar soap (so baby doesn't sneeze while nursing) and a pillow from home. A lot of the tips came from "The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving Your First Year of Motherhood." We're bringing my laptop to sk.ype with my parents post-delivery (the hospital room has free wireless). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing your mom will be able to come! Selfishly, I was kinda hoping you'd go early so we could watch Clara, haha...but I know Grandma is probably over the moon excited she is able to take off to be with you and her grandchildren. :)

    Glad your appointment went well and you are feeling better. I think the hubs had Ry withdrawal this weekend! Haha...jk! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying that baby turns, and your back gives you some relief.

    Percolating Petals has some good ideas for packing. I like the medals idea! And yes, candy for the nurses...good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weekly visits to my chiropractor were the only thing that kept my back pain manageable!

    I personally don't bring my own clothes to wear, I don't find the hospital gowns uncomfortable and they inevitably get blood on them at some point!

    I think it sounds like he's head down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck!!! Will be praying for some relief from your pain. Also, in terms of a car seat I would buy a rear facing convertible and bump clara up to that. Since she is so big already she will need one soon enough. That saves you from having 2 infant seats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as the baby turning, I was perfectly turned (early, too) but reverted back the day I was born!

    And have a hospital bag packed now. I was 6 weeks early and Ma wasn't prepared.

    Dieu vous benisse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back pain, yuck! I took a lot of ambien during my pregnancy. No symptoms in Ella except that she is a great sleeper. :)

    As for the bag, I took a nursing night gown that my mom bought me that had a cute robe. My feet couldn't fit into anything but my sneakers so I didn't take anything else with me. I did change into some comfy PJ bottoms and used a nursing tank in the hospital. But I was there for 5 days. I mostly wore my hospital gown for the first 2 days but I had a section.

    If you have any questions or need to chat-call or email me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My advice for hospital pajamas--buy something dark-colored. No matter how you deliver your baby, you will still bleed vaginally (sorry to be so blunt!) and you don't want to ruin something light-colored.

    Prayers as you prepare for your little one's arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I am just AMAZED at how its all right around the corner!! Packing bags? Grandma's coming to help out??? So exciting!!!

    I have no good advice on what to pack, I am going to be looking to you for advice!!!!

    I liked the tip on the ultrasound pic, though, that would be inspiring for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back pain: have you tried "pelvic rocking"? (google it) it can help with relieving back pain (at least while doing them) and may also help baby get his head in the right place. As for hospital packing, here are my suggestions (I've only had vaginal deliveries) note: EVERYONE is different, so please disregard anything that "isn't you"!)...

    -ear plugs (hospitals are so noisy and if you ever have a chance to try to sleep...)
    -sleep mask (similar to above)
    --hubby would probably appreciate these items as well
    -your own pillow (with non-white pillowcase to distinguish from hospital owned ones)
    -slippers or flip flops
    -toiletries inc. shampoo, etc
    -substantial snack for after birth, esp. if it's the middle of the night and the breakfast tray won't come for hours
    -snacks/drinks for hubby for during labor so he doesn't have to leave you for long. note: find out if they have a fridge for patient use and label EVERYTHING that goes in there
    -nighttime nursing bra
    -clothes to wear in the days before discharge - unless you love hospital gowns (I go with presentable but VERY comfy: cute sweats, etc.)
    -If you're planning to nurse, remember that what you wear needs to be able to easily lift up/unzip/unbutton/unsnap down (I prefer the lift up and/or unsnap down options - zips and buttons are cumbersome)
    -Boppy pillow (if nursing) - you can leave that in the car until after the birth
    -list of family/friends to call to announce baby's arrival
    -CAMERA & extra batteries

    I hope that wasn't too much of a list. I've used or wished I'd had all of those items during my 2 deliveries and some things, like shampoo didn't even occur to me the first time (I never would've guessed a hospital wouldn't provide shampoo!) Happy packing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe you're packing a hospital bag!!! Ahhh! So exciting! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh, packing the bag is so much fun!! I recommend a robe and jammies of your own for after. I thought maternity/nursing gowns were way overpriced so I purchased night gowns with an overlapping V-neck...they were super cheap, $10 or less, and worked perfectly.
    Other items I would recommend packing: socks, chapstick, snacks for after (or for hubby), super comfy outfit for going home (baby and mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you end up getting a pillow to sleep with? I have to say, the snoo.gle has been surprisingly nice and less cumbersome than body pillows with other pillows.

    I second (or third) the recommendations for a chiropractor, especially if he's breech. They're good with the back pain and helping to encourage the baby to turn. Your doctor could probably suggest a chiropractor if you ask.

    I am loving all of the recommendations for the hospital. The only thing I know is that I am going to bake oatmeal cookies the week before I am due and freeze them - that will be our treat for the nurses. If the baby comes early, we'll come up with a plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pelvic rocking really helps with my back pain.

    My last baby was breach until after my 32 week appointment...but then she turned, so you still have time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As for what to bring to the hospital--

    1) Food! Nothing that will give hubby bad breath as that will make you want to be sick.

    2) Your own tioletries and makeup (if you wear it!) It was so great to feel human again, take a shower, and put on my own makeup after I delivered.

    3) Music if will help you relax while in labor

    4) Dark robe or comfy but cute clothes for after delivery

    5) Your cell phone!

    6) Going home outfit for baby (cute but practical).

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did not gain any weight or size the last two weeks either! My midwife was not too concerned. I mentioned to her that I had done a bad job of drinking water the past few days, and she said that was probably the reason. She palpated my uterus too and told me it felt like I needed to drink more water. I am feeling a lot of kicks in the upper right quadrant too, and she could tell by poking that my baby is head down, back to the left, legs to the right.
    If your baby is breech, there are a lot of things you can do. We got a list in my birthing class last week I can send you if you need it. Or spinningbabies.com has a bunch of crazy/fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you're getting so close! I brought nursing tanks to the hospital and they were great. I also brought a pair of pajamas. But honestly, my stuff got soaked because I was so sweaty that I kept sending things home with my mom to wash and bring back. So mostly I wore the lovely hospital gown. I also asked for lots of extra pillows and they had them there. They also had toiletries so check with your hospital. I didn't need much and it was easier to bring less. Can't wait for your big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry about the back pain. I feel ya! Go see a chiropractor or physical therapist. Get a massage even! Make sure DH massages your back during your labor - it helps so much!

    As far as a breech baby - you can deliver a breech baby vaginally. It is more difficult, but it can be done. You can also do some things to try and "spin" baby into the right direction. Go to www.spinningbabies.com to get some info & try to spin the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ewe....sorry for that pain. I can't imagine. Especially hearing that you cry because it hurts so bad..that is awful. I hope that this gets better. Hugs and thank you for continuing to pray for those who struggle. Your not that far away from the birth...hang in there! We can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That pains sounds AWFUL! I feel so bad for you. I am SO worried about my third tri and how it will affect my ability to care for Jackson. Hang in there. Oh, and it is SO good your parents can be there. Mine (and my in laws) are being wishy washy about when and for how long they will come. With an infant at home already (and pretty a much a toddler for you!), we REALLY need that help. I'm so happy you have it....I'll be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry about your back pain! I pray you'll find some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like your little guy in in the same place mine is! I am 28 weeks and had an ultrasound yesterday and they confirmed that he is head down! I feel a constant jab on my upper right too! I also feel bumps, jabs and wiggles down low or in the middle, but nothing on the left. I hope that comforts you to know that your little guy most likely is head down!

    I am so sorry for all the pain you experience daily. I have crotch pain. It keeps me up at night. I had it with my first son, too. The joys of extra blood flow.

    I was induced with my DS and he ended up being a c-section. I had brought comfy jammies and maternity pants, and I wore a cute dress to the hospital to deliver. Don't bring cute panties! There really is no need for them and they may get ruined. I brought a comfy pair and wore the mesh panties from the hospital the rest of the time. (They are a bit strange, but they just get thrown out!) I brought a cute nightgown, but didn't use that, either. I mostly wore nursing tanks and sweatpants with a cute lightweight cover-up cotton robe. I felt SO good!

    Leaving the hospital, I wore maternity jeans and a tank top. Don't forget your makeup and toiletries! I was so glad I had mine and it was nice to feel beautiful when people came to visit. :) Happy packing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I brought way too much stuff to the hospital. I would bring your familiar toiletries and some comfy pjs. I was always hot during pregnancy, but you may feel chilled in the hospital, especially if it is as cold as ours here. Bring whatever you'll want for nursing, like a privacy cover, nursing bra, etc. I gave birth in the hospital gown and I'm so glad I did since it was, of course, messy and would have ruined whatever I wore. You won't care what you wear at that point, believe me! You can always change soon after birth if you want for more photos. Bring stuff for hubby, too, if he'll be sleeping overnight there, too. Outfits for everyone for discharge.

    I didn't gain much weight until the very end of the pregnancy, when I packed it on despite not having much appetite anymore. I wouldn't worry about your weight gain now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Long-time lurker - congrats on your pregnancy! For baby's position, I wanted to suggest doing 10 minutes of the "cat-cow" yoga pose a day (you can probably google it for a better description than I could give here) and some forward lunges - supposedly that encourages the baby to turn into a head-down position. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. One thing I'd suggest for your hospital bag, given your back pain now, is something that my husband and my doula took turns using on me throughout my whole labor - a "back massager" that was two tennis balls stuffed in one of my husband's old tube socks! Just knot the end and leave a bit of room so that whoever is massaging your back can really knead the tennis balls around. I came across this strange sock contraption in my son's closet the other day, and reminded my husband how that was the ONLY thing that made me feel better during intense back pain/labor - it was such a lifesaver!
    Blessings as you prepare for this incredible transition.

    ReplyDelete