Saturday, April 18, 2009

Just when I thought I'd heard it all...

In all my nearly five years of infertility - four years and eight months to be exact - I thought I had experienced it all. There have been the uncomfortable conversations, the cliche comments, hurtful remarks from people who just didn't think, people who pity you, people who avoid the elephant in the room, etc., etc. For the most part, I've had a pretty high tolerance for these things. I have never minded discussing infertility with people (I see it as a chance to witness and an opportunity to lift the stigma attached to it) and I understand that when someone says something cliche (you know, "just relax") that they are only trying to help. I politely answer when people I have just met ask if I have any kids and when I say no, continue pressing about why. And I even know that when someone says something that would be considered inappropriate to say in the presence of an infertile woman (perhaps a mother complaining about her many kids or her ease at getting pregnant), I know that they aren't seeing the world through the eyes of an infertile woman and I can't blame them for that.

No, I have taken it all in stride and for whatever reason, it has never bothered me. Until now.

For the first time, someone has thrown my infertility in my face for the sole purpose of a comeback.

Here's what happened - My husband has an acquaintance who I'll call "S". He worked with him about five years ago and was always nice to this man, despite the fact that he was in and out of jail and lived what some would consider a shady lifestyle. Ryan kind of played the big brother role to him; he wasn't afraid to speak his mind and tell him to shape up his life (he had a baby with his girlfriend around this time) and S seemed to respond positively to this and seemed to have a great deal of respect for Ryan. S even continued to call him periodically over the last few years, often wanting to meet up whenever he drove through our area.

Well, fast forward to this past week. Apparently, S made a negative comment about another former co-worker of theirs who had just lost his job. Ryan defended this other person and basically told S to lay off. Well, that set S off (this is all over email, by the way) and he ripped into Ryan, saying that everyone they worked with always treated him like crap and looked down on him, even Ryan. And then he says something I never thought anybody would ever say to one of us. He says that while he may have a baby out of wedlock, at least he has one, and then says, and I quote, "How's having a kid going for you???"

Yes, he actually wrote that.

Someone actually made fun of my infertility.

I know he didn't say it to me, to my face, but he might as well have. It felt like I got punched in the stomach when I heard that (Ryan told me about it, then regretted it, although I'm glad he did). I mean, really...who says something like that? Never in all these years has someone used my infertility against me (or Ryan) with malicious intent. And why? Because adults don't do that! Even people who hate each other wouldn't say something like that. It's like a social code or something!

I know this person's words should mean nothing to me. They change nothing and they mean nothing. And it's not like I didn't already know I'm infertile, so him pointing it out isn't exactly a shocker. It's more that I'm absolutely stunned that a grown man would use it to purposely hurt my husband.

It also makes me realize that while he is the first person to say it to us, there have probably been others who have thought it. I can't imagine that this guy is the first person to use my infertility to make himself feel superior to us. I'm sure someone who didn't like me or Ryan for whatever reason has had the thought, "Ha ha! They can't have kids! Serves them right!"

I have thought about that before, especially in the world of face.book. Not that I have tons of enemies, but there are always people who don't like you. Now I just picture them reveling in my ill fortune.

But, as I said before, none of that should matter. I know this. I just had to share with you all that when I thought I'd experienced everything there was to experience with infertility, there was actually a lower depth of hurtfulness still out there. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I also pray for this man because he obviously has some issues. God help him.

18 comments:

  1. I can NOT believe that a grown person would say such a thing! That is horrible, and I'm so sorry that you and your husband had to experience that. And anyone who thinks or says those types of things are horrible! I am still in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Petty, immature, cruel, just all around pathetic and awful. What a horrible thing to say to someone. I'm sorry you and Ryan had to deal with that. *hug* Praying for that man and for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how horribly malicious!!!! honestly, it's something that i would expect from kids in my class, but not a grown man!

    you're right that he needs prayers, he's obviously disturbed in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The evil one was really working on that situation.

    Gosh, I am so sorry for ignorance. I really wouldn't say that to my worse enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His comment made me just SICK! I'm so sorry you and Ryan had to go through that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After I finished gasping (repeatedly) throughout this post, I burst into tears for you and for all of us! Holy. Crap. I cannot fathom EVER saying something so hurtful to someone! Good Lord, have mercy on his soul... he is obviously so full of hatred and bitterness... that is NOT a happy man.

    The part that made me cry is how you pointed out that there are people out there who, even though they're too mature to say what this man said to Ryan, they probably do get some sick joy out of our pain. It's true. There were people in my HS who were very competitive and jealous of me throughout my school years. I got the leads in all the plays, solos in all the concerts, and graduated Valedictorian. To them, I'm sure this is sweet revenge.

    Great. And my 10 yr HS reunion is in just over a month. This will be LOADS of fun :(

    I'm sure what this guy wanted was the shock factor. He got it, alright. But at what cost? Did it make him feel any better about himself? Of course not. On the contrary, he's just pushed away the one guy who was on his side and supportive of him.

    This is part of your and Ryan's suffering. I am sure of it. I just watched The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima last night, and the teasing and insulting that the children bore was a part of the suffering Mary foretold for them. Just know that Jesus sees this as a source of pain for you, and the way you are graciously handling it, by offering it back to him and PRAYING for the man who is responsible for it, brings Him so much joy.

    Your reward is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( I'm sorry you received such a mean-spirited comment. I'll join you in praying for this man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe you are right to be sad by his comments. Those kinds of comments come so unexpectedly. I will pray for you and Ryan, as well as for this man and his child. His child will grow up with his influence, may God's angels protect the child's innocent heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hardly ever comment...but this totally warrants it! I agree with TCIE and Sew...satan was totally working in that man...and God is using that to bring good for this man through you! Seriously, he has probably never had so many people praying for him...and that is all because you asked us to. You're awesome.

    satan wants to feed all of us a bunch of lies, especially that we are somehow 'less than' because of infertility...pray to St. Michael and your guardian angel for protection! Don't give into that lie...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh hon, I could have written this too this week. I am so amazed at people's hearts...or lack thereof.

    My heart broke for you and your husband. I am praying for you, and love your strength.

    p.s. here is the comment I got from a 'friend' in an email telling me I am too preachy...

    Oh well may your God deal with you for your ways. Obviously from what you're going through and the fact your god has seen fit that you not reproduce your genetics, there's a higher power sending a big message there.

    He is athiest/believes the earth is god. At first it did sting, but I just realized that satan was using him to try and bring me down and make me doubt. All this happened on a day that went down in the books as a bad day.

    God has a plan for us, we have to keep believing that. His grace and power will get us through. Praying for you hon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to disagree with you... I honestly think that kind of person is VERY RARE. I doubt there are people thinking mean things about you and your infertility cross. I think they are few and far between.

    No matter who it came from, where, or why... that kind of comment is shocking and I am sorry that you had to hear it! Satan's power is snatched away as you "pray for your enemies and love those who hate you."

    By the way, your new photo on the sidebar is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about saying something you can never take back. That is so awful and I'm sorry that you have to go through this along with everything else. You should send him an email with a virus in it. Heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was so heartbroken to read this!! Even though it was no question for you, I think it is a beautiful testament to the unity of your marriage that you view these things said to Ryan as if they were said to you- I am sure that Ryan appreciates your support of the ways infertility affects him, just as he supports you in this way. I agree w/ all the others- can't believe an actual adult would say that kind of thing, especially to someone who'd helped him before! I will be praying with all the others for you two and for the man and his child...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am truly in shock also.

    I just kept thinking back to the Cross ... and how people actually MOCKED Jesus while he was up there. As if being on the cross, naked, wasn't enough. They had to take the extra stop of mocking him. Perhaps this was the worst part? I don't know.

    He was able to take it because He never forgot who He was. And so, we, too, must never forget who WE are IN HIM.

    I feel your pain. I really do. I tend to believe others might have thoughts about us along these lines from time to time. People I've spoken truth to, whatever. Maybe they are glad we are barren. All I know is that I don't have the time or strength for these people during this struggle. Reason #3,567 I am not on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear K,

    He is a man more to be pittied!

    You have more treasures in your heart, soul and in your holy marriage then this man has put together.

    You are doing such good and holy works, the enemy will work with people such as "S" and use them to pull you down. Please know that when we lift these pains to Our Lord, He will take care of everything. You are a child of Our Blessed Mother and may the good Lord have mercy on his poor soul because he doesn't know what he is messing with. To tear down a holy marriage in this way is very evil!

    For the sake of His most sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

    Peace, blessings and HOPE!!!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually experienced something similar just a few months ago. A couple of the guys that my hubby works with found my blog (we think a mutual friend shared it with them as a "ha ha, you gotta read this")and were making fun of it at work with other co-workers. Seriously?? What part of this is funny to people?? I just don't get it. People's insensitivity never ceases to amaze me...

    That's when I made my blog private, and shortly after decided to take a break from writing... which is really sad because it was very therapeutic and helped me to deal with all the emotions of no longer ttc & trying to move forward as a family of 2...

    ReplyDelete