Monday, February 25, 2013

Our little Catholic

 I'm long overdue in announcing that Esther was baptized!

She's wearing the bonnet I wore 36 years ago for my baptism.

Essie officially became a Catholic more than two weeks ago now. My sister, her Godmother, came all the way from New York for the baptism and we were so grateful she and her family made the trip.


It was held at our parish, where Clara was also baptized. But, as some of you may recall, Clara was nine-months old by the time she was allowed to receive the Sacrament.

Three years ago, our diocese required a birth certificate with our names on it in order for a baby to be baptized (if I remember correctly, the names on the birth certificate needed to be the same parents who were presenting her for baptism). Well, with an adoption, you typically don't get a birth certificate with the adoptive parents' names on it until everything is finalized. And, in our case, finalization wasn't going to happen until she was 14-months old. That was way too long to wait for her to be baptized, in our opinion.

So I argued our case with the diocese and won.

Well..... in reality, I made a call, told a priest (who worked for the diocese) our story over the phone, and he called me back with news that the baptism could go forward. Much less dramatic than I could make it sound! But that paved the way for Essie to be baptized as soon as we wanted this time around.



Oh, the chrism. I always hear women rave about the smell of it, so I always felt like I needed to too, in order to be a good Catholic. But, honestly, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Until now. Our priest slathered so much on, and she has so much hair, that the scent was very strong. Too strong for me. But as the days passed, the smell grew more subtle and I realized what the attraction was. I got used to it. I bathed her but didn't wash her hair. And then the other day, I gave in and washed it, and to my surprise, it still smells like chrism. I think my lack of washing it sooner might have made permanently changed the scent of her scalp. And I can live with that.

Can I just add that looking at these pictures, I forget that I didn't just give birth? I look like a woman who just had a baby, except that my pregnancy weight was gained on our road trip over a period of a couple weeks rather than nine months. And unfortunately, breast feeding isn't helping to melt it off like last time around.

Self-deprication aside, our first photo as a family of five brings me great joy.


And this cake brought me a lot of joy. Probably too much!


'God bless Esther' is right. Welcome to the Church, baby girl!

23 comments:

  1. She is gorgeous! I love your family pictures too, such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essie is a doll :) Congratulations on her baptism, you have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, congratulations and welcome to the church baby Esther! Such sweet pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pics! and so glad she was able to receive the sacrament now!

    YOu look gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is beautiful, your family is beautiful, that day was beautiful, your header photo is beautiful. Welcome to the church, Essie!

    And there's no way you're 36. Whatever your skin care regimen is, I want in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love baptism pictures! Congratulations Esther, and that cake would have brought me so much joy, I would have eaten the whole thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Body of Christ, dear Essie!! You are so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Essie and God bless you and your family!

    Also Karey...you look beautiful in these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome dear Essie girl!

    I wanted Lillie baptized while I'm out on leave but didn't realize you couldn't during Lent. Can't wait for that chrism smell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, baptisms can occur during Lent, but some pastors won't allow it (although they have to allow it if the baby is in danger of death). :)

      Delete
    2. Leila, I wondered about that, since this was during Lent. My pastor is pretty traditional so I figured he if allowed it, it must be okay! I also wondered about having a party, but since it was after the vigil Mass on a Saturday night, that's okay, right? I figured a Sacrament is something to celebrate, and it wasn't as if it was on Good Friday :)

      Delete
    3. Yep, traditionally, no one would withhold baptism from a baby, even during Lent! In fact, it used to be that (just like circumcision) the baby would be baptized on the eighth day… or actually sooner. Even now the Church says that babies should be baptized within the first few weeks of birth. I am a big fan of early baptism. :)

      I can see why marriages would be discouraged during Lent, but I have never understood the trend to not baptize infants during Lent. Also, as we are on the subject (sort of), there is no Church directive to take holy water out of the fonts during Lent (except during the Triduum). In fact, it's the opposite. Holy Water is to remain in the fonts. :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations!!! I am so happy for your family of five!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rubbish on any extra weight! You look BEAUTIFUL! And so does Essie! That first photo ... oh my, it is gorgeous! I love your family of five photo - that needs to be framed!
    Welcome to the Church, Essie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the Church, Essie!! Love that first picture with your bonnet! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the family little Esther!! She is so sweet, as are all your sweet babies. God bless and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your new little Catholic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to your new little Catholic!

    ReplyDelete