Friday, January 18, 2013

Out on my own

Ryan worked a rare day-shift today, and Clara had ballet class at the gym, which means I had to break my cardinal rule. I took all three out by myself. 

I cheated a little because Ryan was around to help me get them ready and in the car, but I flew solo for the always-dangerous parking-lot walk in and out, wrangling of two crazy toddlers who have a proclivity to run for the gym doors, getting Clara to and from her second-floor class, and even a visit to the potty. All while a baby slept soundly on my chest in her carrier. 


Before you think that I have it all under control, I will share this little story with you. As I start pulling out of my parking spot, heading for home - and I'm thinking, Man, I've got this! - I hear Luke say from the back, "I'm going for a ride!" 

Okay. He's riding in a car, like he does almost every day. The kid has ridden in a van practically cross-country, for goodness sake. What is he talking about, going for a ride?

Then it hit me: he's not strapped in. I threw him in his seat, went to the other side to strap in the girls, and never went back to him. And he apparently saw this new-found freedom as "going for a ride."

Glad I figured that out sooner rather than later. Crisis averted. And I'm good with staying at home for a while.

Because I think little girls in tutus and ballet slippers are beyond adorable, I just have to share this video of Clara at class. There are some much funnier clips of her free-styling while everyone else is practicing first position, but they show too many other kids' faces, so this will have to do...



Somehow, in the craziness of today, I found time today to finally take some photos of Essie. I know what you're thinking - Hasn't she already taken a ton of photos of her? Yes. Yes, I have. But none were part of what I considered an official photo shoot. I still don't necessarily consider this one, but it's the closest I think we're going to get.

Lucky for me, she LOVES looking right at the lens.



Though tiny, she's already too old and alert to be posed like a pliable newborn. This was the most she'd let me do...


So happy I did get a shot of her little newborn (actually, nearly four weeks old) body...


 She even gave me a few little smiles...



And she's as sweet as she looks. Thank God, because her two older siblings are giving me a run for my money lately. She just sleeps through it all.

20 comments:

  1. This whole post is absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It's hard taking them all out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those pics are great. Love her beautiful face :). She does look calm and serene...good thing for you, with those two toddlers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all so precious! Essie looks so adorable, she made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job mama! and great pictures! the last one is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures! Essie is beautiful! I'm glad she's such a great baby while you wrangle your other two kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, I wish we could stay home all day, but if I don't get out of the house with the kids even if its just to drive around, I'm in tears by the end of the day. I usually keep the two youngest in a stroller if I get out of the car. They are 3, 2, 10 months, and little baby is 21 weeks old in the womb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the fun has just begun!!! Great photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA! I SO would do that. I don't know how you do it. Adding a newborn right now would totally mess me up, lol! Go YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and by "that" I meant forget to strap one in:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it makes you feel better I also forgot to strap one in or the other when the newbie came along. Horrible mom-fail. PIcs are soooooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My 7 yo saw this post and told me that we needed to bring all your kids to our house because they are so cute! I told her that'd called "kidnapping". ;) Such a cute post. "Going for a ride". Love it! You will be a pro before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute. You're so lucky she slept the entire trip! My little guy just refuses to sleep during the day so any trip out is a rush in and out job, with a huge sigh of relief when we get home. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. New to your blog. I love your posts and your indescribable faith. You are amazing. Your family is absolutely beautiful. I can't believe how much hair she has. I love the pose of her full body and sleeping. She is precious. You are pretty brave venturing out with three kiddo's. I am sure I would too though, because my husband has a very busy work schedule and I would have to leave at some point. :) At times wrangling two is hard so I can imagine three. I too have two toddlers very close in age. I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you get major brownie points for taking them all out ;) I've loved hearing about your adventures with three! Just love Essie's sweet little smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love! Haha I'm afraid to leave the house with one!

    ReplyDelete