Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Things I've been meaning to tell you (including prayer buddy reveal)

* First off, I am overdue in revealing my Advent prayer buddy. I had the pleasure of praying for Karen at Hope-Pray-Trust. Karen, I said the St. Andrew Christmas novena for you, as well as the St. Ann novena. I prayed for you at Mass, I offered up things for you whenever I remembered to do so (although I'm never too good at that!), and my family prayed for you every time we said grace before our meals. I prayed for your family, both of your babies, and for your special intentions you posted about, concerning where to give birth. I hope you had a blessed Advent and that my prayers helped a bit!

* A few days before Christmas, my husband and I attended Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell's Christmas party at the Executive Mansion for the Capital Press Corp. My husband goes each year, but since I had to miss last year's party since Luke had just been born, this was my first year attending with a Republican in office (which made it all the more enjoyable). Since it's a very intimate party, we had a chance to talk with him for a little while and when he asked how our kids were doing, we ended up telling him the story of adopting Clara, including how we tried to have a baby for more than five years. Ryan even told the governor (who is Catholic) that we were faithful to Church teaching! For some reason, that made me laugh inside, that we were having this discussion with the governor, a man who could possibly be the next vice president. I'm surprised I didn't go on all about NaPro. Anyway, he was so thrilled for us and even grabbed my hands at one point and said something about being faithful to God. He thanked us profusely for telling him our story and seemed very moved by it, even mentioning it again when we said good-bye.


And, on a side-note, the governor's daughter was there as well and we somehow got into a discussion about infertility with her too! I swear I don't go around talking about this all the time, although it probably seems that way ;) Her best friend struggles with it and I suggested she tell her to check out the blogs, if she hasn't already.

* While we're on the topic of infertility, my progesterone was pretty low this cycle - 8.5. But I'm staying on 100 mg of Prometrium, since the higher dose made me feel pretty crappy (truth be told, so does the 100, but I'm sticking with it for now). Dr. B said he wasn't too concerned with the low number because my estrodial-progesterone ratio was great and that matters more. I had never heard that before. Have any of you?

* Well, the inevitable has happened. My breast-feeding weight loss/maintenance has come to an end, and I'm so very, very sad to see it go. Luke is still breast-feeding, but it must be at the point where it's not often enough to sustain the large quantities of food I've been taking in. Yes, the days of eating whatever I wanted and staying at a weight I was happy with are over. I noticed a couple weeks ago that I felt very different, size-wise, and so I got on the scale and was up a couple pounds. Then it happened - I got a muffin top. Oh man, so that's what that is. That was one thing I never had to deal with in the past. And I can say with confidence that it's not due to the holidays. I know exactly what it's due to, and it's called cheese quesadillas, grilled breakfast burritos, ice cream, pasta and more pasta. Mmmm... I love breast-feeding.

* Today is a big day. For the first time in a year, I went to the hair dresser. And, you're not going to believe this, but I got a whole INCH cut off! I'm not even going to tell you how much my little trim cost, but let's just say it'll be another year before I go again. I will say, though, that one of the benefits to not having time to blow dry or straighten or curl your hair every day is that it's incredibly healthy and you can go a whole year in between cuts. I had no split ends, despite having crazy-lady long hair. Thanks, babies!

* I finally found a way to have Clara pose for pictures - self-timer! She loves it. She calls it "beep-beep" and loves to set it and then move back and sit still while it beeps. It's nuts! I have no idea how long this will last, but I'm taking advantage of it for now (see below).

* The Big East starts tonight for #1 Syracuse, and the Nobles' are ready!!!

Notice my professionally-straightened hair ;)

Go Cuse!

10 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about not actually talking about infertility all the live long day, but somehow, at the end of the day... you've told at least 5 people all about your infertile life ;) I somehow got a new patient for our office while getting my daily Grande Americano!


    Anyway, I know a lot of people (myself included) who feel absolutely crummy on Prometrium. Any chance your Dr would be open to prescribing the natural compounded progesterone? You can get it from the "K" pharmacy in Omaha. Might make a big difference.

    PS. I swear I thought one of the things you were meaning to tell us was that you were pg ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your prayers! I am honored that you were the one praying for me. Your blog was the first one I found around this time 2 years ago right when you found out about Clara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it occurs to me to ask...how come you guys are Syracuse fans? I grew up very near there, but rarely is someone not from the area a fan of the team...unless they went to school there? Ah, that might be my answer.

    Also: you know the Orangemen were originally named because they were anti-Catholic, right? Just sayin' :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts!

    I also go a year in between hair cuts, but it is because I am cheap...and I only spend $10 on them at Great Clips. Not very sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TCIE - Hmm.. I guess that title does sound a little like that! Oops! Definitely not pg. And thanks for the prog info.. I'm going to ask. Good to know others feel crummy as well (not that I'm happy you feel crummy ;)).. bc my dr sounded like he wasn't convinced it was the prometrium. But I KNOW it is.

    Misfit - I grew up near there too (between Utica and Albany).. where are you from? Did I know this before?! There seem to be a lot of us bloggers with ties to CNY! And yes, I did go to school there, and I did know about the Orangemen history. I found out about it in a freshman history class and was mortified. Oh well.. I try focus on Otto and the connection to the fruit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture! I love both of their facesand your hair looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, love that picture!!! I am not looking forward to the day when nursing ends or tapers and I can't eat as much - I love staying this size while eating whatever I want:)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your hair straight like that...very pretty! If you need a trim between now and next year, let me know...haha! I can't promise it will be as good as the pro's though. :) Love the 'Cuse pic. Is it basketball season already? I thought we were still in football...that tells you how much I know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas! I love your pictures and posts. Just wanted to comment that I had to take progesterone with both my pregnancies and I could not tolerate prometrium-it made me feel crazy and disoriented. I used compounded progesterone suppositories which are messy but besides that I had no side effects. I did have to search for a pharmacy that would do compounding but a pharmacist at Walgreen's was able to help with that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I totally thought it was going to be an "I'm pregnant!" post, too! I'm glad things are going well for you and your family :) Oh, and my breastfeeding calorie burn only lasts about 3 months for me. Boooo!

    ReplyDelete