Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Much better

So I've posted lately about events and anniversaries, but I've kind of left everyone in the lurch about the state of things over here. At this very moment (subject to change any second), both babies are sleeping so I'll try to write as much as I can in the time that I have.

I should start out by saying things have gotten a lot better. So much better. Luke is a different baby since I've given up dairy and I'm so thankful. But.. he's still fussy. How do you know if your baby is fussier than a normal baby? That's a good question since all babies cry and hardly sleep, right? Well, when the lactation consultant and pediatrician politely listen to your complaints, give you generic advice, and then witness said fussiness and suddenly a light bulb goes off - oh, that's what you're talking about! - well, that's when you know your baby's fussiness is a little worse than normal.

Now that most of the issues have been resolved by giving up dairy (blood in his stool was the main symptom, which is not fun to see in your newborn's diaper), we're moving on to treating what is most likely reflux. We have a lot of experience with reflux thanks to Clara, so we're pretty confident Lukie has it too. He's starting Zantac tomorrow, and I don't have a problem with using a medication since it worked wonders with her (well, not Zantac. She actually needed something stronger) and relieves the pain you can so clearly see they're in.

Also today, at Luke's six-week appointment, we got some great news - he weighs 9 lbs. 14 oz.! He was 7 lbs. 3 oz. at his three-week check, which was one ounce below his birth weight. At the time, our very kind pediatrician didn't freak out and never even mentioned supplementing, which I was very grateful for. She trusted that he'd soon start gaining, and even wondered if perhaps he'd just be "petite" (ha! Not exactly what every father, at least ones already planning their sons' football careers, wants to hear). Well, fast forward three weeks and not only has he gained, but he's up 2 lbs. 11 oz.!

He has changed so much in the past couple weeks. Not only has he gotten bigger and longer, but he's so incredibly alert. He performed right on cue for the doctor today, all happy and alert (not to mention holding his head way up while on his tummy and even coming very close to rolling over). And just two days ago he started giggling at me! He did it every time I took his hands and clapped them together and said, "yay!". I was actually having him do "Patty Cake" for Clara. It was the first time I really felt like there was something behind his eyes. He's a little boy now!



Clara is doing great too. We all had the stomach bug New Years' weekend and her bout (we think it was that, or possibly teething?) lasted a bit longer (let's just say we had to leave her clothes in a McDonald's bathroom in Pennsylvania). She's back to normal now and is back to constantly surprising us, like, for instance, by biting down to the wood on her crib. Nice!

She's also almost exclusively walking (especially since hanging out with baby E the other day) and has quite the vocabulary (we're slowly realizing she is listening to everything we're saying!). I absolutely love when she says, "hi, Lukie!" She, all on her own, has decided to sing/yell his name - Lukieeeeeeeee!!!!! She's also very into her dolls lately and loves feeding them her bottle. One time I swear it looked like she was trying to nurse her doll, but I might have imagined it!

Well our dog just woke up both babies (she isn't exactly my favorite member of the family lately) so I have to get going. But I do want to quickly add that I am doing a lot better emotionally and feel like I have a much better handle on things. While Luke has gotten a little less fussy, he's still up all through the night (Our Lady has heard from me a LOT lately - please let him fall asleep...please let him fall asleep) and sometimes I think I really should be more tired than I am. But, thanks to the grace of God, I think I am just finding my way and getting used to it. I know what to do when one or both are crying and when I have to nurse (thank the Lord above for Clara's pen! And that she loves being in it!). I hesitate to say we have a routine because nothing is routine about our days lately, but it works. That's not to say that I haven't been stressed (I think I texted "I'm losing my mind!" to Ryan a couple nights ago), but those moments/days are to be expected.

And I think things will only get better. I've already made dinner every night this week (okay, no four-course meals but chicken patties and homemade soup still count!) and even found time to make banana muffins one day. And after the shape I was in just a few weeks ago, I think banana muffins speak volumes about the current state of things over here.




22 comments:

  1. I'm so glad things are improving. Just finding a new normal has to be a struglle. Muffins are more than I've done and I don't even have a good excuse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might start calling you super woman! You are amazing! I'm so glad things are getting better and there appears to be a routine trying to happen! Go Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy things are getting better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I'm so happy to hear all of this! I know I don't have 2 yet, but I can tell you I remember the moment when I could actually cook or bake something and I just went, "Wow, finally!" The relief each day now is thick for me, as Jackson is getting better with his reflux. He is actually also on Zantac as well as an elemental formula (same as cutting out dairy for you) AND prevacid AND erythromycin to try and help with all the vomiting. Yes, I REALLY want to cut out at least one acid med. I really hope that once Luke's reflux is under control, he'll sleep more and fuss less for you:) . I PRAY that our little Addy doesn't also have reflux (or anything more serious!) - it truly is a nightmare. Again, you are AMAZING and I am so happy things are improving for all of you. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news all around K! Muffins and homemade soup?! You go girl! And I hope the meds help little Luke soon. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Clara's big eyes! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I love this post! So happy that things are going better! You have been and will continue to be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful! I'm sure if I was a fly on your wall, I'd think you were superwoman, because I have no kids to chase after and I don't even get dinner done every night...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well in the interest of full disclosure I should probably add that while I did make muffins, just about every piece of clothing in our house is dirty. And that also speaks volumes about me - food always takes priority over laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go you! And I know the feeling of not exactly being in love with the family dog when you have small kids ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible! Amazing! Just keep praying to Our Blessed Mother. She has had more rosaries from me since my son's birth than ever before...
    Enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so thrilled to hear this update! I know what it is like to have 2 babies on reflux meds, ugh, but it is worth it b/c it works, as you said. Here's to Zantac working for both of us (b/c giving Prevacid tablets is a pain in the you know what for little babies)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WBR - Ooh.. I forgot about the crushed tablets! We did that for months! Yes, hoping that Zantac does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ANY day is a good day when there's time for extra baking! I told J today, that for the last two weeks I've planned- EVERY DAY- to make granola and bread. Two weeks have gone by and I've made neither! Alas...I am making dinner every night and getting all the chores done...and spending loads of time with baby bright eyes!

    I'm SO happy to hear things are going better. Blood in his stool...Oh my, K. That's AWFUL. I'm so glad the dairy has worked for him...but sorry for you!

    Hang in there!!! And yea for your pediatrician!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I'm sooo happy to hear that you're doing better. And that little Lukie is ADORABLE! Love the expressions!

    I forgot to mention in my post today that my ped did recommend Zantac for Dommie. I haven't put him on it yet and keep debating. He does spit up a lot and is fussy here and there, but not all the time and not always spitting up. Hard to decide. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're cooking and baking so you are ahead of me!! I am so glad things are better, and your children could not be more precious. Your children! Did you hear? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are doing better! I hear you about your dog not being your "favorite person" these days. My poor doggy, once our "baby", is now "just a dog". He also wakes up our son on a pretty regular basis and must face my wrath. The poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister had to eliminate all beans (even hummus), raw greens (incredibly hard to digest, apparently), and it took her a while to eliminate everything that was bothering the baby. Their little digestive systems aren't fully developed, and they just have a much harder time digestive some foods. Hopefully Luke gets some relief soon! Glad the dr. and midwife are taking you seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, I am impressed!!! Muffins...things must be going well. Once we get our car fixed I can come visit you all :) A month with no car (my head is going to explode). Anyways, your babies are so cute! You must be such a proud mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF THEM! Friend, I am so very happy to hear that you and the little ones are better. His problem sounds just like Dominics (Second Chances). Glad both you ladies are happier and your babies healthier!

    I'm also proud of you for having dinner prepared...even if it's not gourmet...who cares! ha. You are beating me and I don't even have a child!

    Hugs and glad all is well:) You sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Her big brown eyes are to die for!! I can't imagine the craziness. Just breathe deeply, and remember nothing matters more than those two little precious ones!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The pictures are so cute! I too am glad that things are improving. You are an inspiration and I agree with Rhiannon - Go Momma!!!

    ReplyDelete