We're in the midst of simultaneous naps. Not sure how long this will last, so I'm typing fast.
First, I just wanted to remind you that my giveaway is still going on!! Do NOT miss out. Seriously, you don't even have to do anything too time consuming to enter. For instance, if you just "like" the organization on facebook, you get an entry. How easy is that? And it'll get you a chance (a pretty good chance!) to win a handwoven scarf or basket, like these..
Aren't they gorgeous? The more I look at them, the more I want both!
So just read my previous post and follow the links near the bottom. Just make sure to come back to my post and leave a comment(s) that you entered. **Thanks to all who have already entered. By the way, I noticed some of you "liked" Connected in Hope Foundation on Facebook, but didn't leave a comment on my post. Make sure you do for your chance to win!**
Okay, now back to naps..... I'm savoring these few minutes because it's been a rough stretch here, sleep-wise. I've been trying not to admit it, but Luke has basically returned to his no-sleep days. For a while I thought it was a fluke, or he was getting a tooth, but now the days are adding up to weeks and I have to face the fact that he's just not sleeping.
He started out not napping in August, back when he began pulling up and hitting his head on the side of his crib. The bruises (and the crying) were too much for me - I went in and got him every time. That has now ruined him and me - he now knows I'll come get him at the first cry, and I have forgotten to let him fuss a little (despite seeing proof during the day that he can get himself down easily from standing). Both of those things lead to no sleep.
Thankfully, it's no where near as bad as it was before, when he never, ever slept. He slept in his crib last night from midnight until 9 a.m. And he's napping in his crib right now. But he might nap twice a week lately, it seems. And last night was the first night in a while where he didn't sleep hours at a time with us.
It's still hard though, and when he sleeps with us my night is pretty restless and I end up sleeping in while Ryan gets up with the babies.
On a similar topic, isn't it funny how you want them to sleep, but you want them awake too? I miss them when they're sleeping. I secretly get excited when Clara wakes up around 11 p.m. some nights, when I'm home alone before Ryan is done with work. Unless she is sick or mad, she is usually super-cute and we cuddle in bed and it's so much fun. I know, bad habit to get into, but it seriously only happens once in a great while. And as hard as it is when Luke's not sleeping, I really don't mind him being awake all day.
But... and there is a big "but"... there's like this innate need deep inside of me to have the use of both arms for at least a little while each day. Do you know what I mean? On those days when Luke's really needy, and I can't put him down without him screaming, it really takes its toll. Everything is hard, and once I do get a few moments where it's just me and no baby is attached, it's like something releases. Ahhhh.... But it's not an emotional thing. I don't need "me time" or anything like that. It's simply the need to use both arms unencumbered.
And speaking of a baby being attached to you (like my segues?), Luke is doing the funniest things while nursing lately! He is no longer happy just laying there. He prefers to be up on all fours, moving all around, doing acrobatics. Is this normal? Is this something that happens around this age? It's really funny. He sure does have a mind of his own.
So I haven't heard from his pediatrician yet. Today is two weeks since his blood was drawn, and I know most people would have called to inquire by now, but I figure "no news is good news." His doctor even said as much. She said she'd be gone last week and that if it was "something", one of the other doctors would call me. If nothing showed up on the blood work, she'd call when she got back (presumably this week).
But I can't rest too easy because in my anxiety-ridden mind I have come up with a couple possibilities: A) That the hurricane and power outages delayed the testing of this blood (it was taken on Thurs., Irene and subsequent outages happened Saturday through at least Sunday; I called there on Monday to look for a lost wallet and they were open), and B) that since they didn't get enough blood from him and had to call the doctor's office to see which tests were a priority that 1) they didn't get a hold of anyone in a timely fashion and it hasn't been as long as it seems, or 2) they didn't test for half the stuff and weren't even able to rule much out.
Whew.... I have had a lot of time to worry about that, haven't I?
He still hasn't gained anything on our scale here at home. And if the blood work shows nothing is seriously wrong, then I really want advice on how to help him gain weight, if there's even anything I can do.
One friend of mine told me that by this age, she was only nursing her daughter twice a day. Not having talked to anyone else about my nursing habits, I was surprised to hear this. Luke still nurses on demand. He's eating solids about three times a day, but still wants to nurse all throughout the day. Sometimes I think I have more to offer than other times, that's for sure.
Do you think I could be nursing him too much? I wish I had a number of times or hour intervals to give you, but I haven't kept track. Maybe I need to. I have just heard that if you do it too often then maybe you aren't producing the "good stuff." Anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Thanks in advance for you advice. I think I hear him now. Perfect timing!


Nursing on demand is fabulous! Keep doing that. Leo still has about 6 bottles a day.
ReplyDeleteI don't think there could be anything wrong with nursing on demand, especially since he's not gaining. Can't hurt! Can you try cheese, yogurt, pudding to help fatten him yet? I forget how old he is. And oatmeal with breastmilk/formula to bulk him up? Just some things I'm thinking of off the top of my head.
ReplyDeleteOk first off, I am trying to visualize a baby on all fours while nursing and I can't figure it out!! I am also laughing hysterically!! There are benefits to being well endowed and little Lukie's just taking advantage!!!
ReplyDeleteAs for nursing, I am pretty sure the more the better. That is what we are doing here and plan to continue to do so for at least a year.
I TOTALLY get the two hand thing. Except for me, I actually do need me time. I am a MAJOR introvert at heart and having two under 2 is sometimes torturous. Especially when they are not napping simultaneously. When they are, I am a MUCH happier mama. I just NEED that mental AND physical break.
So sorry about the sleep regression. If it makes you feel any better, CC, who is the PICTURe of sleep perfection, has also regressed. She is teething, though, so I'm cutting her some slack. I dont have much advice for you except do whatcha gotta do to get some sleep. If he cries for a few minutes, he'll be okay and wont' even remember it when he wakes up.
SC - His dr said I can give him anything but honey. I actually just gave him oatmeal today and will do that more. He typically eats an egg and blueberries for bfast, fruit at lunch, and veg and/or fruit at dinner.
ReplyDeleteSo you all don't think my milk is lower quality because of the frequent nursing?
LH - You know, I guess I do need me time now that I think about it, because just today I begged R to watch the babies so I could eat one meal uninterrupted. It was so nice! By the way, did you get a call from me today? C called a couple people and I think you were one of them :)
Reading what your little one eats, there does not seem to be much fat in his diet. Aside from your breast milk...
ReplyDeleteWhat about mashed potatoes? Rice? Chicken? (low fat, I know...but good protein!), beans, pinto, black, etc. - cheese, yogurt like another blogger wrote ...pancakes, waffles ... he should pretty much be on the same people food that your family is on.
Sorry about the sleep situation. Babies are so great at training us, aren't they?
Praying that your little guy starts gaining and sleeping - it may be that he is not getting enough to fill his belly and therefore, waking up because he is hungry ... just a thought!
Hannah still gets a good let down at least 4 times a day and I offer it before each nap and before bedtime. So she gets the bb 7 times a day...My doctor said, "Oh, well she is getting enough milk..."
ReplyDeleteI, also, give Hannah a ton of fat with each meal. I'm sure she gets way over 25grams of fat a day if I had to guesstimate it...and well she is still in the 5th percentile for height and weight. :) Fat doesn't make you fat, fat is just insanely good for you. Carbs will make you fat, wheat, sugar, cereal, pancakes, waffles, etc......H only gained 2 pounds in five months. Doctor did not seem concerend.
As for the sleep, that is crazy! H has only been cat napping but at least if it's only for 30 minutes, I can sit in peace for 30 minutes.
I do not think your milk is lower quality at all....
I think some kids (once a problem has been ruled out) are just slow gainers. Hannah has ALWAYS been a slow gainer....
My peds nurse said his son is 3 years old and still in 18month pants......
New cyber stalker joining in!
ReplyDeleteoh, dear- this sounds just like my Samantha! (even the hard to gain weight part!)
My only advice is to be consistent. If his personality is anything like hers (and it seems to be a trait of MSPI, high-needs babies) then he is VERY intelligent. If you do something more than once, it is a pattern and therefor LAW (in their minds anyway!)
I would keep nursing on demand, although he might be doing it because he's so tired. Was it you that I saw with the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child?" Just remember that sleep begets sleep and sleepiness begets sleepiness. The more tired Samantha is, the shorter her naps are. There was were a few months where her bedtime was 7pm--killer for any social life/family time, let me tell you.
And the missing them part- oh, yes! I would get so frustrated because I'd so badly want her to just GO TO SLEEP and then immediately miss her. Just remember that you'll be able to enjoy them more when they are well rested (and you are too!)
Good luck and God Bless!
-Kim
OH! one more thing. On the nursing acrobatics- my sister did the SAME THING (and was MSPI and high needs, yadda yadda yadda). Looking back, my mom wonders if she wasn't intolerant to ground beef as well. I don't know if you are still on dairy, but you might try going off beef as well- it has similar protein to diary and corn-fed beef is harder to digest on the protein level. I had to take beef out of my diet, it made all the difference!
ReplyDeleteNo, I wouldn't think your milk is lower quality. I would just add more fats/grains to bulk him. We've been doing that with Dommie. I give him a huge bowl of oatmeal in the morning (with fruit mixed in and formula too), yogurt or cheese for lunch with blended fruits and oatmeal (a baby food stage 2 thing), and then sweet potatoes for dinner with a bit of whatever we're eating if it's appropriate. We're trying to get him to eat like us more, but he's pretty resistant to ANY type of change! Hey, they do make Stoneyfield yogurt (organic) with cereal in it already. That might be good for him. Honestly though, with all the "bulking" we've been doing with Dommie, he's still little. I don't think there's much you can do for some of these little guys! You're doing great!
ReplyDeleteNursing on demand is the best way. The only 'too much' is if it's too much for you to handle. My kids all nursed at least 6 times a day at that age. When my first was 15 months, she went from nursing maybe 3 times a day up to 18-20 times a day because she cut all four eye teeth and all four molars in the space of a month and we were travelling at the time.
ReplyDeleteMy almost 2 year old is nursing about 6 times a day.
The nursing gymnastics is really normal too. My first two kids did this thing where they took me by the hand, sat me down in front of the couch, then they climbed up on the couch and lay down hanging down in front of me to nurse upside down. They only did it a few times, but they both did it very deliberately. My current nursling does the nursing on all fours thing too, but I try to keep it at a minimum.
As for lower quality because of frequent nursing, there is no such thing. Did you know that as baby ages, the antibodies in breastmilk increase and that they actually peak after 24 months of nursing? Amazing! God really knew what he was doing. Of course as baby ages, he needs more antibodies because he is encountering more immune stressors in his environment.
Do you have a La Leche League nearby? They would have lots of answers and reassurance for you.
Oh my goodness.. Thank you all!! That is great info and advice. I'm glad to hear there's no truth to the whole nursing too much thing. And I am definitely going to try feeding him more in general, and more fats. I started Clara so late with food because she had no teeth for so long that I'm not used to this. But L has 7 teeth, so he'll be fine. I gave him some cheese tonight and he loved it :)
ReplyDeleteKim - Hi there! Ok now you have me thinking. His weight gain stopped right around the time I added dairy back in. Maybe I need to experiment going dairy-free again.
I love your honesty in this post, makes me feel so much more normal! Your writing continues to inspire me.
ReplyDeleteI added a morning snack and afternoon tea at 9 months on the dr's advice and she loved it! They can only take so much at once into little tummies. Adding cheese and unsalted butter or olive oil to vegetables helped too, butter helps release the vitamins in orange veg. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou got some great advice! Addy went down from the 85th % at her 4 month visit to the 35th % at her 6 month visit, so I am wondering if she will be in the same boat come 9 months. She will only nurse 4-5 times a day (including her midnight feeding) and she MAYBE eats 1-2 stage 1 jars of food a day, she really hates eating solids. She NEVER stops moving, so she is constantly wiggling around when she nurses. I have no doubt she'll be up on all fours when she can get there, lol! I agree with others on more fatty foods, sounds like you will begin that. Our Jax has always been a good eater and gainer, and I still give him fatty foods like cheese, yogurt, etc. And he is perfect on the growth chart, not chunky at all. They are healthy fats!
ReplyDeleteAnd, lastly, I NEED my alone time. I do not know what I will do when they stop their 2 naps a day. I get cleaning, cooking and blogging done;). I plan out nap times and I have a whole list of things I want to get done while they sleep! lol! And I do miss them when they are sleeping. Sometimes when I go to bed at night, I just want to go into their rooms and snuggle them. But I DON'T want to pay the price when they wake up and can't go back to sleep, lol!
Wish I had answers on the sleep - I'm thinking you may need to start back at square one with the CIO? Sounds like he forgot what he learned with that;). Good luck, momma!
Oh, and I also forgot to say - eat healthy fatty foods yourself too! That will "bulk up" your milk. I was told to do that by lactation consultants AND my acupuncturist when I was having issues at the beginning with nursing. I was told to throw out my 1% milk and drink whole milk for the entire time I was nursing, and to eat foods high in fat. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeleteMy 12-month-old daughter still nurses like crazy. She also eats solids like crazy. And she is huge for her age. You can't nurse too much, or at least it won't keep him from eating solids or keep him from gaining.
ReplyDeleteEzra has not gained much weight since his last appointment. My pediatrician said it is normal bc he can't keep gaining on the same curve, or he'd be a 50 pound baby. Plus they're burning more calories by moving around more. But E is on the upper percentiles for weight, so that might be different.
ReplyDeleteWe call the nursing antics "nursnastics," (like gymnastics) and I sometimes imagine he is training for a circus act where babies do crazy antics all while drinking milk and never losing their latch!
I go to a regular class at a breastfeeding center here, and from that I can tell you that the nursnastics are totally normal, as is the frequent nursing. On days I'm home, I don't even know how many times I nurse E ... probably 8 times in 24 hours. I would guess the best way to fatten your baby is to keep nursing him as much as possible. That is the most nutritious food we give them. Good fattening solids would be avocado, whole milk yogurt ... I don't know what else. Maybe try to avoid empty calories? I have no idea. Ezra would eat cheerios all day long if I let him. There are no other solids he likes as well, but I try to keep the cheerios to a minimum bc it seems like there is no point other than amusement. Not a lot of nutrition.
And on the sleeping, I don't know but I've read about a "nine month sleep regression." Ezra has been terrible at napping and sleeping at night recently. He started waking up every two hours. I was a zombie! I asked the pediatrician about it and she guessed his teeth might be bothering him or his eczema. Without me doing much of anything, the nighttime thing got better. He is back to waking up once or twice.
ah, me!
-A