First, Luke has now gained nearly a pound-and-a-half. We're so excited!
No more Failure to Thrive. More like Thriving Success!
He also turned 10 months today. Go double digits! You can read more about all of his latest milestones (and the newest addition to our family...) over on my other blog.
Second, I went to see Dr. B.
For those of you who weren't around for my journey through infertility, Dr. B is a wonderful Catholic doctor who heads up a Catholic OB/GYN practice about an hour-and-a-half from me, whom I credit with getting me healthy enough to conceive Luke.
Well, after several months of dozing off in the late afternoon/early evening hours (NOT good when you're home alone with two babies), and feeling like I wasn't being taken seriously by my endocrinologist, I decided to go see Dr. B.
What a different experience from the last time I was driving up there. I hadn't been in two years, back when I had surgery to treat what at the time was being called a "mass" or "tumor." Thankfully, it turned out to just be endometriosis (just endometriosis), but it's safe to say I was pretty nervous leading up to that surgery. But fast-forward two years, and here I was making the drive with two babies in the back seat.
Dr. B got to meet Clara and Luke and he was so happy for us. I was glad they could meet him, even though they won't remember.
As for my health, he wants me to do another saliva test to test my adrenals. I had extremely low levels two years ago, took cortisol for about six months, got pregnant, and then stopped taking it (per Dr. Stegman's orders).
He thinks my exhaustion in the late afternoon could be at least partly due to my eating habits. Lately, I don't eat breakfast (I'm just busy in the morning, not very hungry, and I don't like breakfast food), then I eat carbs and a little protein for lunch, carbs for a snack, and carbs and a little protein for dinner.
So... I'm supposed to eat more protein all around, but especially for breakfast and lunch. I'm trying.
You see, the big problem is I having been losing weight so quickly from breastfeeding, that I haven't had any motivation to eat healthy. I get to eat yummy foods and the pounds still come off. Awesome! But now, if it will help my fatigue, then of course I will eat healthier. Like I said, I'm trying.
He also took blood to see how my progesterone and estradiol are doing. He thinks a lot of my other symptoms (slight nausea, irritability, breaking out, weepiness), which I told him happen the second two weeks of my cycle, sound like low progesterone. He said I'm basically PMSing for two weeks. Makes sense! It just really didn't occur to me.
I got my blood test results back today and, sure enough, my progesterone is really low - 4.3 on cycle day 18. Estradiol was normal (123 I think?). And, to my surprise, my thyroid was normal as well (and for those wondering, he looks at all the thyroid numbers he's supposed to... NOT tsh).
So I'm going to start taking prometrium. I meant to start it last week, but we couldn't pick it up because our flex account, which we use to pay for prescriptions, was temporarily deactivated. I can't help thinking what if I would have been pregnant this cycle if not for a measly $40. I hope not.
When he was writing the script for prometrium, Dr. B said "well, expect to get pregnant." Ha! I don't know if I will ever, ever be someone who expects that. But I can't say I'm not hopeful. I would love for low progesterone to be all that's standing in the way this time.
Well Luke just woke up crying (I can't complain - he is taking TWO naps a day!), so I have to end this here. I have to say, though, it was a blast from the past writing about seeing Dr. B, my cycles, and low progesterone! Although this time, praise God, there is no sadness, just hopefulness. I already have more than I could have ever dreamed.
That's so great you could see him again and show off the kiddos!!
ReplyDeleteI will be seeing him in a few short weeks.
Oh yeah, the diet thing. Weren't you like the low GI guru there awhile back??? I think that's the y dr b wants everyone to eat, and it does make sense. You are so lucky the weight comes off easily!
Thinking of you!
i only have one comment....how do you not like breakfast foods?! if i could, i'd eat breakfast all day...especially sausage egg and cheese on a toasted bagel (and prob gain like 20 lbs). mmmm....that was def. the hardest thing about going gluten/dairy free: breakfast.
ReplyDeleteLove the Luke photos...such a cutie!!! I'm so glad you're hopeful- I'm hopeful for you too!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is quite a vote of confidence when the dr. says that. My dr. made it pretty clear I may never get pregnant. And so far she is dead on :)
ReplyDeleteWow, so glad you got to see Dr. B again! I am hopeful for you too!! And isn't it such a mind game to write posts like these and NOT have all that sadness (and for me, anger and jealousy as well) behind your words? It still rocks my world every time I do it. I just can't get over how my life has changed. We are so, so blessed! Oh, and I am a carb fanatic too. It's bad. Very bad, lol! And I lost all my pregnancy weight too - I just finished my nightly ice cream snack that I am allowing myself to have lately because I am nursing and the weight stays off. Again, very bad, lol!
ReplyDeleteCome on Baby Number THREE!!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I love your docs hopefulness. I think he's right!
ReplyDeleteOh, and milk has a lot of protein so perhaps a tall glass of milk (even chocolate) in the am to get you going?
ReplyDeleteOhmygosh - back to Dr. B! I haven't been in that office in a long time either. Glad to hear that you're getting the answers you need. :)
ReplyDelete"I can't help thinking what if I would have been pregnant this cycle if not for a measly $40."
ReplyDeleteStory of my life for about 4.5 years. And probably why I'm flat broke now :)
Of course, even not trying so hard to "get pg" but concentrating on getting my hormones healthy and feeling better, I'm spending an arm and a leg - all organic food, LOTS of meat, meat, and more meat (without nitrate, nitrites, antibiotics, or hormones), and vitamins/supplements galore.
I do have to say, it is worth it. And if I were a Mama, I'd do the same. Not at the expense of my children's needs, of course, but so that I could be the healthiest mother for them.
Compounded progesterone from Kubat's may be cheaper for you - just a suggestion.
Oh, and trust me, your energy will skyrocket once you start getting more protein at b'fast and lunch.
I never had an appetite in the am, so it was extremely difficult for me... I started with protein shakes. Now, about an hour after I have the shake, I snack on nuts and seeds and/or a hardboiled egg (around 7am). For lunch, meat and veggies.
It's like NIGHT and DAY, I tell ya!
I so relate on the tiredness and "2 week PMS." Glad your thyroid is okay! That's so awesome this looks like an easy fix!! :)
ReplyDeletethe carbs are an energy killer for sure and breakfast is SO important, I was almost 30 before this became real for me. It helps in so many ways. I try to eat eggs and my homemade sausage patty's for bfast and it's so yummy and you get a good start.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely possible that the adrenals are shot, esp after pregnancy and taking care of two babies. can't wait to see those results. :)
How awesome if you get pregnant soon!!!!!!!! I am so excited just thinking about it!!!
ReplyDeleteI bet the prometrium will make you feel better.
And yay for Lukie!!
It's a start!
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get this fatigue cleared up before pregnancy.
I agree diet can help immensely, it changed my life. But my hormones are also good. I think hormones run so much, I'm almost thankful I don't have a thyroid because I don't question is it thyroid, is it adrenal....
Hormones are under estimated.
Hopefully progesterone will help take the edge off, but I'm sticking with it not being your fix.
I love to wake up ready to go all day long. I think it's a god given right. I hope you find your way to the "hormonal" promise land as well.... ;)-
Glad you got to see Dr. B but I am bummed you didn't come here to see Dr.S and I could get to see those babies!!! Also glad you are getting some treatment, I have low progesterone over here, too even with HcG. UGH.
ReplyDeleteIs this Dr. John B? I love him and miss him! He diagnosed me 11 years ago with PCOS adn IR. I will remember those to intentions in prayer.
ReplyDeleteAfter I had my lap and D and C I took a round of prometrium and conceived teh next month!:)
Brenda - Yes, that's him! He diagnosed me with the same thing, which was overlooked by my previous doctors. He's such a great man! And a doctor who prays with you at the end of every appointment.. you can't beat that!
ReplyDelete