So I haven't done a meme in ages, but I thought I'd give this one a try (and it wasn't easy! I'm pretty average and not very surprising). I was tagged by Julie from Andrew and Julie's Adoption Journey. Here goes...
Ten Surprising Things about Me:
1) I don't drink any alcohol. I hate it. I've had my share of beer and liquor in the past, but I've never had a glass of wine. Yuck! (Although I like the idea of liking wine and wish I did). The only thing I like the taste of is a piƱa colada, and even that needs to be weak (yes, I have actually ordered it "weak" before. I'm not embarrassed to do it!). And don't be like my husband and tell me it's an acquired taste. I'm 33. I think I would've acquired it by now.
2) Ryan and I used to be co-anchors on the local tv news (I didn't think this was surprising, but it seems like whenever it comes up, people are always shocked! I forget most of our current friends didn't know us back then). We anchored a show together and were dating at the time, and no, we didn't always get along. We even had a fight or two during the commercial breaks! But, overall, it was great working so closely with him. If I can find a tape and get around to converting it to a digital file, I'll post it.
4) Ryan and I each saw each other for the first time on tv. I saw him while I was home for spring break my senior year of college. I told my younger sister I couldn't believe she didn't tell me about the cute new sports guy (which was crazy because she probably didn't even watch the news) and that I was going to meet him one day. I believe I said "marry him" but she doesn't remember it and Ryan never believes me. Meanwhile, I got a job at the competing station in the same town after graduation, and Ryan watched my debut (which was probably pretty shaky) with all his co-workers, who all told him he needed to ask me out. Which he did, and the rest is history!
5) After we got married, I worked as the host, producer and editor of a local real estate show. Two of our closest friends own a production company and so I worked for them. It was like a show on HGTV. Well, a very low-budget version of that.
6) I can paint but only from photographs (or any other image I can copy). I realized I could do this around age thirteen and, despite the fact that no one believes me, I assure you I can't paint something from my head. I think it's a self-confidence issue, but I also think there's a chance my brain is just wired to be able to copy photographs and that's it.
7) I produced my first feature film at age ten. It was called Mall Madness and starred me, my best friend and my sisters. I was a tough director. I also composed a rap for it that my whole family can probably sing to this day.
8) I like rap. I love Tupac (especially his really mean, hard stuff, oddly enough. Hit 'Em Up is my all-time fave!). And at one point I knew all the lyrics to Rapper's Delight. But, unlike most people, I don't listen to a lot of music and will often drive with the radio off.
9) I can't listen to someone talk when the tv or radio is on. I can only handle one thing at a time. My sister's the same way and a friend checked her hearing and said she's fine. I know mine is too, I just think it's more of a focusing thing.
10) I interned at Da.vid Letter.man for a summer in college and was even in a sketch with him, but it was cut out before the show aired (although the audience got to see it during the taping of the show and, luckily, my dad happened to be there that day. Plus, we have a tape of it). The sketch was a staff talent show and my talent was playing the saxophone ("talent" is a term I use loosely). Dave was next to me eating an apple and then plugged the sax with it, causing my head to explode. Not too funny. No wonder my part was cut!
I love reading these on everyone's blogs, so if you haven't done it yet, go for it!
Monday, September 13, 2010
10 Surprising Things
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You and rap? So did not see that one coming.
ReplyDelete#2: I do hope you find a video! I'd love to see that.
#10: That's just neat even if it was a not-so-funny sketch.
Wow! These are definitely surprising!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you posted these! I love learning fun things about bloggers!!
ReplyDeleteLove #1 I also don't drink alcohol...don't like it and don't like the way it makes me feel. I know most people say it makes them feel good, but it makes me feel on edge.
#8 ??? rap. seriously ???
#9 me too...plus, I expect others to have this problem so I ask my husband to turn off the tv or music when I need to talk to him...kinda annoys him because he says he can listen to me just fine without turning it off.
I actually really like rap too...I love tupac and Biggie Smalls..>Did you watch the movie Big. OMGOSH, I cried all the way through it.....I can still jam out to bigs..>There is a song out now, been out for awhile that sounds like Big....Ri.ck Ro.ss, Sup.er Hig.h I need to not reveal my craziness here... ;)
ReplyDelete#9 ME TOO!!!!!!!!! It makes me insane! ;)
I like rap too, the old stuff from when I was in high school. I always say that I love going bowling because I can listen to rap and not feel bad about it (it's always on at our bowling ally). "I didn't turn it to this!"
ReplyDeleteThe story of how you met is adorable. I would LOVE to see an old video!
Love the story of how you met! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat list! :)
Love the story of how you met! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat list! :)
#6: You are a very talented ARTIST. It's a gift! I would definitely encourage you to keep it up.
ReplyDelete#8: At least you didn't listen to oldies and love songs back in the days when most listened to rap. I was way too old for my age.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo much fun to read!!!
ReplyDeleteI, too, enjoy rap (shhh, don't tell anyone!).
I'm not feeling like working, so I'm off to procrastinate and write my own surprising things!
I feel special that I saw your Letterman tape and also some of your old reporting! You forgot to mention you had a cute little bob haircut back then- that was the most surprising thing I remember while watching them! I also feel special that I think I knew all of these except about your feature film at age 10. You'll have to dig up that one out too! :)
ReplyDeleteHow sweet how you and dh met!! And, I need to see those clips!
ReplyDeleteRap... well, you all seem to like it. I am OLD! I do remember one rap song from my childhood... Blondie's Rapture.
I can barely draw a stick person out of my head, but I can draw okay if I have a picture to look at!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou freak me out! Not only were we married on the same day (happy 6th anniv btw) and both work(ed) in local news, I saw my husband on TV before we met. Although I thought he was a total tool. I was also on Letterman once doing Stump the Band when we were in NY on our honeymoon. And I am completely incapable of listening to more than one thing at a time. I hope we eventually have more in common--like two cute kids :)
ReplyDeleteYour husband's right - it totally is an acquired taste :). When Hubby and I were dating, I hated wine. We used to buy a couple bottles of red each week - starting with the sweeter wines, then branching out into dryer ones. At first, I would drink half a glass and wouldn't enjoy it at all. Then, eventually, it did grow on me - and I started really enjoying some kinds and now love dry red wine :). I told him I need to figure out how to acquire a taste for scotch next other than just drinking it (it's so strong!).
ReplyDeleteI remember that story about how you saw Ryan on tv for the first time. I totally believe you when you say you said "marry."
ReplyDeleteAnd omgosh... Dear Zachary... I have no words. The only thing that helped me fall asleep last night (after sobbing for an hour with DH) was picturing he and his father playing catch in heaven.
this was fun to read. i hope you find that clip because I'd love to watch it!!
ReplyDeleteYESS! White girls who like Tupac unite! I did like him back in 8th grade...probably could still remember lyrics...
ReplyDeletethis blogger says its good for her labor!! http://www.conversiondiary.com/2009/02/childbirth-tupac-and-offering-it-up.html
That's so awesome about you seeing him on tv-- love the story!