My appointment with Dr. S went okay. I did arrive 30 minutes late, so it got off to a bad start. I had the time wrong by 15 minutes and thought we were actually 15 minutes late, but it was worse. And the appointment was at 7:15 a.m., I should add. After waking up to feed a baby all night, that was a tough one (obviously, since we couldn't pull it off).
So we arrived 30 minutes late and were taken back to the exam room. Dr. S came in and asked a bunch of questions about my history. I did find it rather difficult to recall specifically what all my pelvic pains were in recent months - the duration, severity, location, type, etc. I don't know, they all blend together after years of pain!
He then did the exam and I also had my annual done since it was overdue. Then, in the interest of warning all of you who are going to see him in the coming months, he did another type of exam. The kind that involves, well, I don't feel like typing it out, but if you really want to know you can email me. It's the type of exam that I was warned about, myself, ahead of time, and feared for several hours leading up to it.
Then he came back in and said he would like me to do a month-long hormone series next cycle, the kind where you get your blood drawn every other day or so. At the same time, he wants me to do a ultrasound series as well. I know that's sounds pretty basic, but after five years of infertility, this will be the first time those two things are done simultaneously (as long as I can find a place in the next few days where they are willing to do the ultrasounds the way Dr. S has outlined).
He also said he would like me to have another hysterosalpinogram (I just typed that from memory, so it might be way off of what it's really called, but it's the tube thing). I've already had it done twice and it was always normal, so probably not my problem but possibly worth checking into.
He also said he could tell from the internal exam that I might possibly have adhesions on my right ovary, the same one that was operated on last August, as well as on some muscle that connects the cervix to something. I don't really remember. But he did say it might not be affecting my fertility at all. And he said my uterus is tilted to the right.
That was it. He really didn't offer me any guesses at what may be wrong. Hopefully the hormone series and ultrasounds will give him more to go on. I have a follow-up appointment scheduled for April. Oh, and he prescribed me some low dose naltrexone.
I'm really indifferent about it all. I was very glad to be able to visit FJIEJ and to meet her husband (who are so sweet and hospitable!), but as far as trying to figure out what's wrong with me, I'm kind of over it. I'm hoping I can find the motivation to look for a place to have the ultrasounds done. It's not my priority any more, to say the least.
During the appointment I actually sat on the exam table and uttered seven words I thought would never come out of my mouth. Something so unimaginable that I'm sure hell got a cold front and probably, somewhere, pigs were flying.
I don't even want to be pregnant.
I said it. And if you don't believe me, Ryan witnessed it, although he was in shock.
I mean, is it wrong that I am secretly happy I got Clara just days after finding out about her, rather than nine months later? Is it wrong that I am secretly glad that I don't have to endure any of the physical problems of being pregnant (I just know that I'd have issues)?
The thing is, after falling in love with Clara, I realized wholeheartedly that I don't need a pregnancy to get exactly what I've always wanted - a baby to love and the privilege of being her mother.
Trust me, I am blown away that I am thinking these thoughts. I coveted a pregnancy for so long that I didn't think I could ever remember what it'd be like to not be centrally focused on that one goal. But, literally overnight, it all went away. It's clearly the grace of God, and I am here to say that He works miracles.
I am not saying I won't ever have tough times again, and I might go through spurts where I wish I could have a biological child. But, at least in this moment, I have no desire. None. And I am eternally grateful for it. The most monstrous weight imaginable has been lifted off my shoulders. There is light after the darkness. God is so good.
Saturday, January 30, 2010
My appointment and a huge change
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad the weight has been lifted. And I know for me personally, it's really good for me to hear that. While I know that I'll love an adopted child like I would a biological one, I often wonder if I'll still pine for pregnancy and biological children. I know I might on occasion, just like you might, but I'm just reassured to hear your reflection. :)
ReplyDeleteI am so thrilled to hear this! But I also think it'd be "nice" to know once and for all what's been going on with you - not necessarily so you can work towards fixing it and getting pg, but so that you have complete peace with God's will in your life.
ReplyDeleteI second what TCIE said. Plus, Clara will want a sibling someday! Or you will want one for her. Keep going! You're doing what's best for your health, and Clara's mom needs to be in good health. God bless!
ReplyDeletehahaha! I totally get it! I really do understand! I hope you find the energy to get the blood draw. Second chances has a great point about siblings for baby C! ;)
ReplyDeleteGlad it went smoothly xcept for the "other" part of the exam! I about died when I had one. The said thing is, I actually think I need another one since my surgery, because something isn't right. How freaking crazy is that?
Umm, yes I'd like to make an appt for a you know what! hahahaha Crazy, I swear! ;)
I think this is some great perspective. Being a mother certainly would make the great longing to be pregnant lessen a bit, I would think. It seems like so much to go through, when you have a newborn at home. I wouldn't be motivated to do it either. Keep praying about it.
ReplyDeleteso very true K, adoption is a miracle on so many fronts isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful moment. My son is biological, but to be honest, I really really want another child, and don't want to go through pregnancy again. (I had a lot of issues). I don't know if we will adopt, or have another, but I just want to be a MOTHER. It does not matter to me what adjective is put before it!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on Clara. She is so beautiful!
Sorry to hear your appointment got off to a rough start. He is very detailed in his initial appointments - both with questions and the physical exam! Your next appointment should be more "exciting" when you see all your results together and get a plan of action. But, that is amazing that you have a new outlook after such a short amount of time. It is amazing how much healing your little miracle has brought. God is good!
ReplyDeleteYou are right God is so good!!!
ReplyDeleteI witnessed those 7 words uttered in my kitchen. And I believe them!
Don't feel guilty at all, there are so many benefits to adoption!!!
I am so happy to hear that you feel that weight has been lifted. I know that when we were walking that long dark road I had a women at church ask me what is more important being a mother or being pregnact? That comment hit me like a wall of bricks. It was at that moment that my life began to change, and to think that was at our Christ Renew His Parish retreat! Blessings to you and your wonderful family. What a blessing to have baby C in your arms! May there be more beautiful blessings to come!
ReplyDeleteI felt that same thing the instant I laid eyes on my daughter.
ReplyDeleteI really, truly didn't EVER care if I became pregnant - I just wanted to be a mother.
After I got my little girl in my arms, I was as complete as I could ever be. And now that I AM pregnant (surprise of the century), I still don't feel any different - no more complete, no more a mother.
Oh, and another thing:
ReplyDeleteThat "new" exam...
If that is NOT directly related to IF treatment (in other words, if it is something an average gal would have to worry about during a regular annual) can you let me know so I can email you and get the details?
Cause --- that scared me!
Cathy - I'm pretty sure it is done as part of the infertility exam.. Don't worry!
ReplyDeleteThanks, K!
ReplyDelete:)
Wow! I'm so glad that you've had the weight of IF lifted from your shoulders. I'm curious to see what Dr. S will find, but it must be nice to not have the pressure any more!
ReplyDeleteGod bless little Clara for helping lift the burden!
Praise God for the inner peace you have been given!!
ReplyDeleteTo see how you have been healed through Clara brings me such immense joy! God is good...
ReplyDeleteI have thought about you so much, especially in these last few weeks.
YES, I'm coming to Richmond! I'll email you soon.
Wow, I'm so glad to hear your reflections! I do hope and pray that you will be healthy and fertile... but I am so glad to hear how God has healed your heart!!
ReplyDeleteUm, so now I'm freaked out about my appointment in March. I'm going to email you right now!!
Starting low-dose naltrexone, huh? Interesting - my new doctor just prescribed that for me too!!
ReplyDeleteIt's been so thrilling to read your blog for the last few weeks. It makes me think that there's hope yet!!
i'm with you, girlie. i question my own (crazy) thoughts ... but this is enough. these babies are all i've dreamed of and i need nothing more!
ReplyDeleteyeah clara's mama!
It's so great that having Clara has lifted the burden. It's great that you are still working towards getting your body healthy, and as Second Chances said, possibly having a sibling for Clara someday.
ReplyDeleteYou sound like you have peace with things and if you go through what you need to(med wise), then you have done all you can do. I pray that God will lead wherever it is He wants you to go. God bless.
ReplyDeleteI was so happy to read this and hear about the peace that God has given you through Clara!
ReplyDeleteThank you for such an honest and, for me, inspirational post. We've known for a while that a pregnancy would be a medical miracle for us, and while we are absolutely open and welcoming to the adoption process, the cycle of "grieving" and accepting such a huge change in this path for our lives has taken / is taking many, many months. I know every situation is different, but it's so, so good to get the affirmation that the grieving may end, or at least not hurt so much. God bless your family!
ReplyDeleteI admit to some curiosity about this. Forgive me if I'm prying unfairly (and I'm really not trying to be negative - atypically perhaps), but all us Catholic gals wanted big families, back when we thought we could have them like everybody else - right? Me, I wanted 12. Married at 23, I thought I could pull it off. Then I said I'd settle for seven...anyway. If you adopt, and you don't try for biological children in addition, what do you plan for building your family? Having a much smaller family than you originally hoped? Keeping a running fund so you can adopt more? I would assume the cost doesn't go down and it could really add up. I guess this was one of my early reasons for opposition to adoption - 12 at $20k apiece would have meant $240 for the ACQUISITION of children alone, to say nothing of their care, feeding, college tuition...
ReplyDeleteOK, I'm rambling, and I doubt my comments are at all helpful. But if you are willing to share, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this subject.
Misfit - I absolutely understand what you're saying. I always thought I wanted 4. I realize that barring a major change in our financial picture, that is now highly unlikely.
ReplyDeleteMy reason for wanting 4 was that my mom is one of 3 and my dad is one of 6, and while I dearly love both of sides of my family, I thought it would be nice to have our own family somewhere in the middle.
I sat at the much smaller Christmas dinner with my mom's family this year and thought, "this is good. No, it's not a house brimming with kids, but it's really wonderful in a different way."
I guess it's another one of those things that we have to accept in this life we're given about God knowing what we need more than we do. Maybe I would have been a TERRIBLE mother to 4 kids, or had major medical complications with the 3rd, or any number of other things, and He knew that. It's another tough pill to swallow, but it gives me some comfort. I don't know you, and certainly don't mean to presume anything about you, but I hope and pray you find the same!
Nope, this cradle Catholic with 8 siblings never wanted a certain number of kids. I figure it's been ordained from all eternity how many children I'll have, so I never really thought about the number.
ReplyDeleteI would love another adoption, but I could only afford it if it fell into our lap like the last one. (Private, independent adoption.)
And when that happened, God provided, like always.
I *do* know people who keep an "adoption fund." They don't drive fancy cars, they don't take vacations, but they have money set aside hoping for another adoption in the future.
It's amazing the peace that has come over you, and how you have been able to let go of the desire for pregnancy. Such a blessing!
ReplyDeleteWhat is really interesting now, spiritually, is that if you do pursue the medical route to pregnancy (and all the suffering that that might entail), it's not that you would be doing it for yourself anymore, so much as you would be offering that sacrifice for Clara to have a sibling. It would almost take that road of suffering to a higher and more beautiful level, if that makes sense? Just rambling here.... :-)
I've so enjoyed your blog about Clara!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I'm currently writing an adoption book and wondered if you'd like to submit a story. Just click on the Submissions tab at my website, www.JulieMSellers.com
God Bless!
Julie
adoptionoptionstories.blogspot.com
I totally know what you mean about not even wanting pregnancy after you're blessed with a child through adoption. I remember a time, when my son was only a couple months old, when I thought I might be pregnant and it was not a good feeling. I was so tired, and just wanted to focus everything on my son, not add another child to the mix. Part of it was the bonding, and part was the exhaustion of caring for a newborn. Once you are completely bonded together, and once the roller coaster of the first several months settles down, you'll probably think about getting pg again, to give your child a sibling, although it may never be to the same extent that it was before. And what a blessing that is:-)
ReplyDeleteMisfit - That's a good question. I guess since starting the long road of infertility five and a half years ago, I slowly learned that it wasn't up to me how many kids I have. I long ago gave that up to God, and adoption has taken that to a new level. Not only have I accepted His plan for my family, but now I actually welcome it. Seeing how perfect His plan to bring me Clara was has made me completely confident that God will bring us any additional children we are meant to raise. No more and no less. I KNOW His plan is the best, no matter what that is.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I don't at all think that adoption means we will have a small family. I look to other adoptive families, like Dr. Ray Guarendi and his wife who have adopted ten children. Their story is amazing. They, too, thought that infertility would keep them from having the large, Catholic family they always wanted, but it didn't. And they didn't get all ten children from an expensive agency. If I remember correctly, their stories are really amazing, how they got each one. They really came from God. And I trust God that our family will grow in a similar way.
And what it comes down to for me is that while I may not end up with ten kids, I am just currently overjoyed to have one. Again, that's due to being afraid for the last five years I wouldn't have any. Maybe in a few years I'll mourn the loss of a big family, but right now I'm so completely content that I can't imagine mourning anything!
This gives me so much hope!
ReplyDelete