Thursday, January 9, 2014

I was pregnant

I was pregnant. And now I'm not.

I got the positive test on Thanksgiving morning. I had started to suspect it a couple days before, just like with Luke, and anxiously waited until I was really late to test. But I was still blown away at seeing the two lines. Once you've experienced years of infertility, it's hard to ever fully believe your body can do anything right. 

Thanks to the holiday, I had to wait five days to get a blood draw. It took forever, but I finally received the results almost a week after my positive test and they were good. My progesterone was high enough that my doctor didn't think I needed supplementation, but I still asked for it, just to be safe, and started taking it the next day. 

I had my first ultrasound in mid-December. It didn't go well, at least according to my standards. I was 7 weeks, 4 days, but the baby was measuring 6 weeks, 0 days.  But we saw the heartbeat and it happened to be a healthy heart rate for a six-week old baby. "It's fine," everyone told me. "You just ovulated late." "The dating is off." "You have nothing to worry about." My OB assured me that she saw positive outcomes in similar situations all the time. I could still miscarry, but my odds were the same as everyone else's.  "You have a healthy earlier-than-you-thought pregnancy," she told me. "I'm putting your file away and not expecting you to call."

I went home and sobbed on the couch with a comforter over my head. I was inconsolable.

By the next day I had made a decision: My baby had a heart beat and was alive and I was going to have hope because I was that baby's mother. 

The next three weeks went better than expected. I was able to have a happy Christmas, enjoy our trip up north to see my family, and rejoiced that I was pregnant with Baby #4 on my 37th birthday. We told the kids and they were thrilled. Clara wanted a sister, Luke wanted a brother, Clara rubbed my belly, and Luke reminisced by talking a little too much about my c-section where my "skin was cut open" and he "was pulled out." I don't remember being that detailed when I explained it to him.

I had my moments. I knew I wouldn't be pregnant for long and, at times, I let that slip. I won't need maternity clothes, I told my mom. I won't be pregnant the next time I see you, I told my sisters. I feared my follow-up ultrasound appointment that was so, so far away but inching ever closer. 

Ryan had a work trip coming up - a freelance gig covering the National Championship Game for the BCS -  that would take him out of town for four days. I dreaded it for the obvious reason - all alone for four days with three kids and no family nearby - but I was also scared to death that I'd miscarry while he was gone. "That's crazy. Don't say that," he said. 

The first two-and-three-quarter days went great. Really, really well. The days flew by, no one came down with the stomach bug, everyone slept through the night (well, not Luke, but he doesn't count), and we were closing in on the last day. Baths were finished, jammies were on, and we were hanging out in the living room trying to catch a glimpse of daddy on the sidelines of the game on TV. 

That's when Clara happened to find a prayer card that I had stashed under a lamp in the living room way back around the time of that first ultrasound.  

"What's this?" she asked. I told her what it was. "Can you read it to me?" she asked. Of course, I said.


It's my absolute favorite prayer card. I cling to Our Lady's words during times of anxiety. But they've always been just that - words. Even in their most helpful moments, they were a two-dimensional reassurance.

I snuggled in my favorite chair with her and read aloud Our Lady's words to Juan Diego. Somewhere around the question "Am I not your Mother?" something happened. I'll take me about a thousand times longer to explain it than the time it took for it to actually happen - and I will not even remotely do the experience even close to any justice - but suddenly the words became real and very three-dimensional. And for a quarter of a second I understood everything and saw something. It was Our Lady, holding us and it was bright and it was colorful and it was warm. And I immediately understood that unlike the many times I had read the words before, and thought, Oh, how nice that Our Lady will help us out here on Earth, that what it really meant, what she was really telling us, was the we need not worry because Eternity awaits us. There is no need for anxiety when there is God, when we will one day be with God. I know those are just words on a computer screen right now, but they were REAL to me. And I felt in that moment, I saw in that flash, that Our Lady was holding all of us, she was holding me, and more specifically for me that night, she was holding my baby right then. And I burst into tears. 

They weren't sad tears. They were tears of being overwhelmed. I don't know exactly what it was that I felt or saw in my mind's eye, but it made me cry. 

Clara asked me what was wrong and I told her I was crying about the baby. About a minute later, I felt something wet and reached down to touch my pants. When I brought my hand back up there was blood on it. 

I jumped up and began to lose my mind. I ran to the bathroom, calling my mother on the way. "I'm bleeding!" I yelled into the phone. "From where?" she asked. I thought at the time how that was such a silly question. But to everyone else who wasn't expecting a miscarriage at every single moment, that statement could have meant I had cut my finger while chopping vegetables. 

My intense freak-out lasted about five minutes and then, as I walked around my bedroom frantically, I had the realization that my actions were not matching up with my thinking. My mind, for once, was calmer than I was outwardly acting. Slow down, I told myself. Don't freak out just because you think you're supposed to. Even then I knew it was just plain odd that my mind wasn't freaking out. I knew it had to be due to a force outside of myself. 

Things weren't okay, but I could handle it. I thought about calling my friend who had just left about an hour earlier, but I knew she had three kids to put to bed. So I texted another friend, Sarah, who is pregnant with her first. She responded in seconds. I later found out my mom (who lives many states away) had immediately gone on Facebook and sent messages to both of those same two friends, asking if they could come over and help. Sarah was on her way.

I didn't end up going to the ER that night like I had wanted. The on-call doctor assured me there was nothing the ER could do anyways, besides an ultrasound. But if it was waking up in the night in pain and bleeding that I feared, they weren't going to stop that. I would call my doctor in the morning. 

I assured Sarah she didn't have to sleep on my couch like she wanted to and also found out she had to go into work around 4 a.m., in just a few hours. And yet she did not even hesitate to come help me that night. The kindness and generosity of others during this entire experience has simply amazed me. 

I never thought I'd go to an OB appointment to confirm a miscarriage all by myself. Why would I? That would be a nightmare. And yet there I was, doing just that. Ryan was beside himself with grief and guilt. He couldn't believe he was on the other side of the country when this was happening. But he was and we had to make the best of it. And we were able to, thanks to more generosity. My other friend braved the cold and brought her three children to my house that morning to babysit my kids, and off I went to hear the terrible news.

The woman checking me in told me there was a balance on my account, but that I didn't have to pay it then because "you'll definitely be back!" I think she even ended with a second, "Definitely!" No I won't, I thought.

I waited among women at all stages of pregnancy, the ones who had regularly-scheduled appointments. Eventually they called me back and the nurse tried the Doppler. Not surprisingly, there was nothing. "I don't think we can fit you in for an ultrasound today," she told me. Oh, dear God, I thought. 

She left and then - thank God - returned to tell me they could squeeze me in and I was immediately ushered to the ultrasound room. "Are you alone?" the tech asked, because she wanted to know if it was okay to close the door behind me. I lost it at her question and shook my head 'yes' through the tears. She was very sweet and remembered me from last time, she said, as I cried. "Do you have any cramping?" I shook my head 'no'. "Do you have any bleeding?" I shook my head 'yes'. 

What happened next was just what I expected. No heartbeat, and the baby measured 6 weeks 1 day, one day further than at my last ultrasound in mid-December. Yet, yesterday, I was 10-and-a-half weeks into my pregnancy.

I cried off and on as I once again waited in the waiting room, when I read texts from family, as I waited in my doctor's office (her actual office, the one with the desk, which is where you go once you have no more baby), and as my doctor explained my options. But I was, for the most part, stable. Especially for being all alone. 

That afternoon wasn't bad, thanks to the extreme kindness of friends. I returned home and relieved my very generous friend who had spent half the day with all six kids. And before I knew it, my friend Sarah showed up with big bags of lunch, cupcakes, and bagels, and sat with me and my kids all afternoon during the time I baby-sat the little boy I watch. I can't tell you what that meant to me. 

I have been wondering why I have felt so strong because, honestly, I'm the weakest person I know. I have some theories. I think Ryan might sort of be my crutch (my fault, not his); when he's around I can fall into my typical emotional mess during difficult times. It's what I do because he is there. Without him, I simply can't. It's like when one of my kids gets badly injured - when blood is involved, or a bump the size of a soft-ball immediately protrudes from their skull. If I'm not alone, if someone else is there to help, I feel faint and my legs don't work. I am totally and completely useless. Yet, if I'm alone with them, I can handle it. I rise to the occasion because I have to. I'm pretty sure that's what happened the past couple days. 

I also believe that I mourned this loss back in December after that first ultrasound. Not that I think I won't continue to mourn it; I completely expect the grief to come in waves. But Tuesday was just confirmation of what I already knew. I actually felt relieved, in a way, to know I no longer had to pretend to be optimistic, since everyone but me believed all was fine. We could now move on from this weird limbo. 

My three children are also a huge reason why I believe this experience has been manageable so far. Not only do they keep me busy, but they remind me of all that I've been given. Blessing upon blessing upon blessing. And, since this all has happened, I can't help but stare at them and wonder how anyone is born. Life is so fragile in the womb. How did Luke make it? It's sometimes too much for me to think about for too long.

Of course, God's grace is ultimately the real reason behind my current stability and sense of peace. At some point yesterday I had the thought that, well, so much for all those prayers for a miracle I've begged God for during this pregnancy. Then I remembered the rope He threw me seconds before it all started, in the form of a prayer card, brought to me by my daughter, and the flash of inexplicable Divine Love and assurance that I experienced. That was my miracle. That was my answer to all those prayers. He thought of little me and gave me a gift that I could carry with me throughout the terrible experience that was about to come. And, I realized, that's what trusting Jesus is all about (a concept I've struggled with a lot in the past): He may not will the cup to pass us by, but He'll never leave us during our struggle. And, if we let Him, He may even become present to us in a very real way.  

And as for my baby, I have a very simple view of it right now - she is in Heaven, where we hope and pray all of our children will eventually be. Why should I mourn that? Yes, I mourn for me, but not for her. 

Trust me, that is of God because I'm not normally a rational thinker in times of stress. 

Is it odd that I'm sharing all this? I don't know. Maybe it is. I have been given a gift of peace in a difficult situation and I feel compelled to talk about it. I'm also selfishly sharing my story to ask for your prayers. The physically painful part is yet to come, and I would appreciate any prayers for that you are able to offer. 

Let me also state that I know how lucky I am to have experienced a pregnancy, let alone two. That is not lost on me at all. I thank God that I was able to conceive again, and marvel at the miracle of it, no matter how short a time it lasted. My prayers are always with those still waiting to become mothers, and I'll offer up the emotional and physical pain that is to come for all of you.

49 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie, this long-time lurker (who has experienced two losses of her own) is holding you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, honey! This is so heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time. Love to you, my dear friend. You are in my prayers. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss :( Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so sorry K. :( ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. first time ever to your blog, and what a gift. what a blessing to begin my day with your words.

    i have been in the room with the desk and no baby.
    not ever a place a mother wants to be.

    and due to circumstances of my own, i live every single moment of my life in absolute awe of LIFE
    life IS fragile in the womb...and i have had a huge awakening of how fragile it is outside of the womb as well.
    it is all such an incredible miracle.
    every life no matter how short or long is so beautiful.

    your moment you with Mary is just so awesome, and i am so grateful you shared it.
    i have a special devotion to Our Lady...
    i too believe ( i KNOW) she is holding your baby...and holding you...

    prayers for you...hoping you hold onto the peace of the hope of heaven and how very much you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. I too have experienced a loss recently and even though we all respond in different ways, I think I know a bit how you feel. You may feel strong now, but it's possible that it will get worse before it gets better (the first days and weeks are often numb and then the real feelings hit) but then again, maybe it won't. Give yourself time to heal regardless of what you need. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. You can email me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com. You and your family will be in my prayers now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your experience with Our Lady is just beautiful. I'm so, so sorry that you lost your baby and I'm continuing to pray for you family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh K, I'm so so so sorry. I know this pain all too well. It really really is awful. But having to move on for your own children are a consolation. Don't worry about how fragile you are without R, your heart walks around on the outside and you are vulnerable enough to rely on friends. What a good example for your children!
    "There is no need for anxiety when there is God, when we will one day be with God." This quote brings me great peace. Prayers for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very sorry for your and your family's loss. I've been in your shoes too many times myself and can relate to your pain in some small way (because we each feel and experience these things differently, I don't feel like I can say I completely understand). I hope that Our Lady brings you comfort for as long as you need it and that the hugs and snuggles from your precious little ones will ease your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. I've also experienced a miscarriage. I commend you for writing about your experience. Your post was beautiful and heartbreaking and so important for people to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing! I am also in the middle of a miscarriage - our first pregnancy. After our ultrasound with no heartbeat on Monday, I was/am completely heartbroken and having a hard time understanding why our path to children (6 years) has been so filled with heartache. I was in a desperate place and pleaded with God to show me some sign that all was not lost. That I had not been given up on. My husband returned from a Catechist meeting at church later that evening with the opening prayer from the meeting:

    "Jesus Calling"

    "I am able to do far beyond all that you ask or imagine. Come to Me with positive expectations, knowing that there is no limit to what I can accomplish. Ask My Spirit to control your mind so that you can think great thoughts of Me. Do not be discouraged by the fact that many of your prayers are yet unanswered. Time is a trainer, teaching you to wait upon Me, to trust Me in the dark. The more extreme your circumstances, the more likely you are to see My Power and Glory at work in the situation. Instead of letting difficulties draw you into worrying, try to view them as setting the scene for My glorious intervention. Keep your eyes and your mind wide open to all that I am doing in your life."

    I know that this was God's response to my plea, telling me to be patient and to lean on Him. Thank you again for this post. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, dear K... my prayers for you! what a heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I will try this again...sorry the last one got all mixed up.
    K - my heart is breaking for you. Miscarriage sucks plain and simple, but thank God for those consoling words he gave you in that moment with Our Lady and Clara. Words cannot express my sorrow and sadness. I will be covering you in prayer. On a practical note - do you need a d&C or do they suggest you wait it out at home. I have experienced both, so if you have any questions, please let me know.

    Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you and so sorry for your loss ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for your loss. You write about it beautifully, but I hate that you had to experience it. I'm glad that Our Lady has been with you, and I will say prayers for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear K. I am Brazilian and I follow your blog a few months, we all hope the best for his beautiful family and were very moved by this story. We will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry to hear. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry for your loss. You have my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry! I will keep you all in my prayers. This is such a hard experience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry, Karey. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I"m so so so sorry you had to go through this. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sad to hear this! Prayers for your peace and healing. As always, you have this amazing way of share your story with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry for your loss, our prayers are with you and your family.
    You are right, life is so fragile. Praying for you to always feel this child's gentle presence because I know that that they will always know of your great love for them. Big hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am that you are shouldering this cross. Heartbroken for you. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so very sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Praying for you. I'm very sorry for your loss but so happy to hear that God showed himself to you when you needed Him most.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many prayers coming your way. It is the deepest sorrow and the realest loss. I will keep you in my thoughts for all the pain, physical or emotional, and perhaps even some peace, that is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sorry for your loss...Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karey, I'm so, so sorry. This breaks my heart. I've been praying for you since I read the news. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry. I've been there too many times and it is so hard. Thank you though for writing about it because your strength and faith help me in all my difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My mother's heart embraces yours. . .your saint in heaven yearns to be reunited with you one day but until that time, she is your perfect child and will be of great assistance in raising your three little ones here on earth. Hugs and hugs ... God Bless -

    ReplyDelete
  34. Honestly, I read this yesterday afternoon, and thought "Oh, how sad." I said a prayer for you and for my baby (7 weeks pregnant here.) Then last night at around midnight, I started to bleed. And I remembered your post from earlier and the grace with which you are going thru this with. I grabbed my prayer card too and was able to find some peace. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry to read this. I hope it's nothing serious. I am keeping you and your baby in my prayers.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Turns out it was/is a miscarriage (takes a few days to complete.) Again, thank you so much for posting your story. You are very brave and sweet to do so. I pray for your continued strength thru this painful heartbreak.

      Delete
    3. Oh, no. I am so sorry. I'm praying for you. And please email me (allyouwhohope at yahoo dot com) if you want to talk with someone who is going through it at the same time.

      Delete
  35. Praying for you. Miscarriages are so hard...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Karey! I am so sorry to read this and hear of your loss!!! My heart just breaks for you and yet you have written about this pregnancy so beautifully...God bless you during this time of sorrow (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Karey, I am so very sorry for your loss. I am so heartbroken for you. Please know that you will be in my prayers during this tough time. I am so glad our Lord is carrying you through this and that Our Sweet Lady is giving you comfort. I have two other friends who have lost babies in the last week and it is almost too much to bear at some moments. I am offering up any sufferings I have this week for you and your family and your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh K. I am so, so sad to read all this. You will be in my prayers! You were such a huge help to me when I was struggling...please let me know if I can do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete