Thursday, December 29, 2011

The confusion of trying (and possibly failing) again

It's a weird thing, trying for your second pregnancy and third child, after many, many years of infertility the first go-around.

It's an amazing thing, because I find myself in the position of already having two children. Not even one, but two. If it never works again, I still have two children. Yes, I'm sure I will mourn that loss - of a big family, of another pregnancy, of experiencing all the baby things again, of not realizing at the time that Luke was the last - but the two I have fill me up with more joy than I ever thought possible. It's just not the same type of problem anymore.

It's a confusing thing, because I still want a baby, badly, and yet I know that I already have so much. How can I ask for more while so many are still waiting for one?

I didn't realize just how much that troubled me until right before Advent started, when Ryan and I discussed praying for God to grow our family during our St. Andrew Christmas novena (I prayed the same novena, with the same intention, two years ago, just before finding out about Clara). That's when it occurred to me that I had not ever once prayed for a third child. We have been actively trying to conceive since May, yet I'd never asked God for it. And when we started the novena, and I did begin praying for it, it just felt weird. Soon I was saying that intention last, because it just seemed greedy.

I'm torn because I am scared it's never going to happen again, and yet I'm so busy right now being a mother to two that I'm not heartbroken every month. Clara and Luke both wake up from their naps so incredibly needy, both literally hanging off of me, crying, wanting to be the only one I hold, that sometimes I think, it's okay that it hasn't happened yet.

But I'm still scared it's never going to happen again.

I know how broken my body used to be and how there wasn't one obvious fix, but many. I can't imagine another surgery, now. I take comfort in my OB's observation during my section that everything looked great in there.

I had hoped pregnancy had healed my infertility even further, but now I'm wondering about that. Then I remind myself it's only been six cycles and I'm still breast feeding.

Nothing appears to be wrong from the little testing we've done. I have low progesterone, but I had that this time two years ago and ended up pregnant a few months later. I wasn't really on anything when I conceived before so there's no magical cocktail of meds to try again. Honestly, the only thing missing is complete and total happiness. Yes, I am full of joy right now, but I have my stresses, my irritability, my weaknesses. When I conceived before I was living in the clouds, in the first few months of becoming a mother. Maybe I need to recreate that. I need to pray for the strength to just be completely happy, like I was then. Let everything fall off of my back. I know it's possible. It's the way I should be living anyway.

People are always telling me to stop at two kids. Of course, these are people who don't know me (which makes it so much better.. haha), and sometimes I say something, but usually I just let it go. It's just something people say, when they hear you have a boy and a girl. And while if this is it, this is our family, part of me does take comfort in that - that we have two children, our kids have a sibling, we have a boy and a girl - I also dread that we'll always appear to the world that we did stop at two. We got our "perfect" little family and called it quits.

I know that's pride. We know we're not on birth control. We know we're open to God growing our family, and that's all that matters. And, might I add, what a wonderful problem to have.

Yes, I may be getting ahead of myself, but I just don't know. It took us almost six years before, who knows how long it will take this time, especially with me turning 35 on Monday.

I hope this doesn't come across as me complaining about how hard it is to be in my shoes, because it isn't. It's just an interesting place to be, wanting to grow your family, unsure if you'll be able to, haunted by your infertile past, busy with two little ones, and still shocked that you're a mother at all.

I offer up any difficulty or sadness I may experience this time around for those still waiting. I'm embarrassed I have any sadness in the first place. My childless-self wouldn't like that at all.

22 comments:

  1. I don't think you are complaining at all. There is a bigger force that drives you on to want more children - and no matter what hardships you face along the way, it doesn't stop the 'want' from being there.

    I will send some positive thoughts in your direction

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I can admit reading this that I was feeling jealous that you already have two children, but why should you feel bad for wanting more children if you've always dreamed of a big family and it is possible for you now? While I might think that you're crazy for wanting them so close together (lol) I cannot fault your desire to want to love and care for more children. I think people who've followed you for years know your true heart. Plus, it really isn't about me not wanting others to have children, it's about me wanting children TOO. I just want to be part of the motherhood club. This last adoption that fell apart hit me hard and I was thinking about it again the other morning, about how our holiday would have been so much different with four month old twin girls at home.

    Plus, you know that even if you don't get pregnant again, adoption is an option for you.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many deep thoughts here. Due to my "advanced maternal age" I am likely to appear as a family that has it's perfect number: 2. But, I know, I am just going to have to deal with my pride and let others judge me erroneously and think that what they want of me/us.

    There fear of not knowing...if IF can come back or may mean longer spacing...

    And, yet at the same time being so blessed.

    It's a paradoxical place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this really is relevant in this situation... but there are so many times I go back to an old blog post of yours. It's from your anniversary post this year.

    "But if I were told we would have babies... I would have been okay. I could have made it through. And what good would that have done? I was forced to trust God during those years because had no idea how it would all end. God, in His infinite wisdom, brings it one day at a time."

    It is so hard 'not knowing'. I often wish I could, too, just know. If I knew we had to wait one more year, two years or just one more cycle... it would be easier. But would it?? I don't know. The planner in me wants to know NOW... even if it isn't time yet.

    We are all being forced to trust God right now... it's just easier said than done. So I will pray that you (and the rest of us!) do just that while we wait... for #1 or #3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to a really trad church with moms of seven (and more! Whee!) all over the place, and I have never felt that someone was judging us. (Well, not for that. LOL!)
    That's such an internal judgement someone would make that I'd never know if they were doing it or not.
    And if they do, that's their problem. That's their sin. Not mine. Maybe they're just jealous of my superiorly-adorable children. LOL!
    It IS a good reminder to NEVER judge a book by its cover. We simply do not know a person's circumstances.
    But IF is so prevalent nowadays that as many people probably assume THAT as much as "Oooo, they aren't good Catholics."
    :)

    I'm rooting for #3 for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all your feelings are normal, and you shouldn't feel guilty at all! Hoping for a third child doesn't mean you don't appreciate and cherish the two beautiful children you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with these ladies! You have no reason to feel guilty! God's plan is different for each of us and we should all pray no matter what number miracle we are hoping for, that we are blessed with him or her and that others are too.

    Being human, it is the HARDEST thing ever to put all of our trust in Him, when all we want to do have some sort of control, or at least a reassurance that it is in our future.

    So, I too will be praying for us all to have the strength and patience to give it all to Him until he blesses us with the miracles we are asking Him for.

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, Hebrews! You are experiencing all of the normal emotions of secondary IF. Even if you aren't technically in that category yet, you're anticipating what it will be like. It's a really tricky place to be, like you said. I've written about it as well.

    We're just hard wired to want children, and it doesn't matter if it's wanting our first our or seventh. We're women, with maternal hearts, and we yearn to mother.

    Heck, I'm pregnant and am already anxious about the next one! I get asked all the time (twice today!) if we're done now, and I just wonder why we're so pressured to make that decision so young and so publicly. I just hate that. Anyway, that's my rant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, this may make me completely psycho (and loathed), but I have thought - OFTEN - that if God is offering me JUST ONE baby, I'd turn it down. I wanted a big family - huge. I never wanted one child, or two children. That's a totally different kind of family from the one I dreamed of. It would mean the end of my career and a big financial blow for us, to raise just one kid - and although each person is of course immeasurably valuable, it just doesn't seem to me that it would be worth it (in comparison to being a SAHM to say seven kids, which would be cost-effective, as well as an obviously worthwhile and intensive use of many years of my life). Part of this is because I don't want to give up the very brittle acceptance I have of my situation in exchange for an unavoidable longing for more children - if I once became a mother, I'd lose the few perks of being childless, and would just long for another baby forever - so that part may sort of be sour grapes. But I'm pretty sure I genuinely don't just want "a baby." A dozen kids are now out of the question, but I want it all or nothing at all.

    I guess this is a long (and probably horrifying) way of saying that I think your perspective makes entire sense. I can see feeling greedy asking for a third child too if I were in your shoes, but...you're not asking God to give you a baby INSTEAD of someone else. He doesn't have a limited ration of babies up there. And while it may be a burden to those of us who are childless for another woman to go from zero babies to one, I don't think the two babies to three even shows up on the radar :). At least, it doesn't for me.

    I'm not sure I'm making any sense. But I hope your prayers are answered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand your feelings of guilt this time around. I often feel that way when I remember those my age still waiting for a spouse. But our desires are our own, and I do believe they are God-given. It is GOOD for you to desire more and more children. It truly is! What I'm discovering, though, after nearly 6 years, myself, is that we cannot (or at least, SHOULD not) live in the planning stage. God has our plans. We do not. Live the life you've been given now, because if in 15 years you look back and see that more children were never in your plan, do you want to remember these years when Clara and Luke are developing and growing into young adults as being full of charting, unecessary Dr's appointments, and planning non-stop for a 3rd child? Sit back and wait to see where God is leading you. Perhaps He wants you to adopt your 3rd child? Be open to everything without letting it engulf you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, I don't think it's selfish to want more. So many couples get to experience this wonderful freedom of having a large family (at least from my vantage point, it looks like freedom!). Children and marriage go hand in hand. As Catholics, that resonates with us. AND, siblings are one of the greatest gifts a child can have, truly. I've told my DH I will be very sad if we can't have the 4 I hoped for all these years. I have three sisters, and I guess in my mind, 4+ clicks... it's such a joy to have siblings. God designs our families, but still, I hope that desire comes true.

    But your story, where it is right now, gives *me* hope, especially as my 31st birthday approaches in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm feeling very similar over here. Thanks for writing your thoughts out, helped me think through what I've been feeling lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting this post. I've been having very similar thoughts myself (my two are both adopted... should we pursue a third... these are complicated questions). Several of the commenters responses resonated with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think all your feelings are normal, but that you are letting fear have too much control-the fear of never knowing, which comes from alack of trust in God. I remember your post right before Clara about how you and Ryan where at Adoration and a women came up to you and said God wanted her to tell you that you're exactly in the right place for now. When she said that little Clare's mom was probably making decisions about what to do with her baby. God was working in the background. It's the same God who knows you and what you need who's in charge now. Let go and let God! Happy New year...I know, easier said than done, so this post is accompanied by many prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although I am overwhelmed most days too with 2 kids...18 months and 3 months old...I am so content with our family size right now.

    My biggest problem right now is exactly what you said...
    "People are always telling me to stop at two kids. Of course, these are people who don't know me (which makes it so much better.. haha), and sometimes I say something, but usually I just let it go. It's just something people say, when they hear you have a boy and a girl. And while if this is it, this is our family, part of me does take comfort in that - that we have two children, our kids have a sibling, we have a boy and a girl - I also dread that we'll always appear to the world that we did stop at two. We got our "perfect" little family and called it quits."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep. You said it. I was just thinking many of the same thoughts today. We are so blessed with the two we have, but I want more--and I want them to have more siblings! It's a weird place to be. When I talk to friends experiencing primary infertility, I don't even want to mention secondary infertility. And many of the people I interact with on a regular basis think that people with more than two kids are insane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel the same way, K! While waiting for little miss E, I would say, ok, can I just have one? But, of course my soul isn't satisfied. Its so hard! But, I believe that God gives us exactly what we need when we need it, and it is my job to just be ok and thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, and I also turned 35 a couple weeks ago and it was much better than 30. Much better. It now gives me an excuse to do what I want (within reason!), well, because I am 35!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You never know what God might have in store for you:

    "...older women are more likely to have twins" and "Dr. Steinman found that women who become pregnant while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are not breastfeeding at the time of conception."

    http://scienceblog.com/10638/chance-of-having-twins-can-be-modified-by-diet/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that you are 100% normal.... especially b/c I feel the exact same way right now! Lol! Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I literally could have written this entire post. Thanks for stating in words what I'm feeling!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. No need for you to feel bad. I think I'll feel the same way once I have a child too. I was just talking to my husband today about how I'm not sure we'll have the size family we wanted. I too feel uneasy about appearing like we stopped after only one etc. Although I have yet to meet my children, I sometimes feel guilty for asking or being sad about it when others who are my same age desire to be married and aren't even dating anyone yet. Then I remind myself that I'm thankful for what I have and it's ok to have desires for good. It's apparent you're thankful and your desire for more children is a good thing too. I'm excited to see what the Lord has planned for you!

    ReplyDelete