Anyways, the topic I was searching about was tail-end brown bleeding. I have it. And I hadn't had it in years. A blood test from September showed my progesterone was pretty low, but I've been on 100 mg prometrium since then, going up to 200 mg this month. But I didn't take it as early as I was supposed to because I wasn't charting. I thought I could just keep track in my head. I know, that's silly.
Let me back up. I went to my doctor, Dr. B, in September, at which time he tested my progesterone (it was low) and estradial (it was normal), along with my thyroid (it was normal, on my meds). I took home a saliva test kit for my adrenals, and completely expected them to be low. Turned out they're normal. Go figure! I was really counting on them being super low like two years ago because I partly credit the hydrocortisol with me conceiving. Not to mention feeling great. And the alternative, if my adrenals were normal, was that I needed to eat more protein and less carbs to curb my extreme afternoon fatigue. Ugh. I'd MUCH rather just take a pill.
I found out these results at a follow-up appointment with Dr. B a few days before Thanksgiving, at which time he also took a picture with my babies:
| Clara is hard at work on the iPad... the only way I got through this appointment |
I also mentioned to Dr. B that I was having anxiety. At that point it seemed to be only during the second two weeks of my cycle and so he increased the prometrium to help with that. I was to take 200 mg that cycle, 300 next cycle and 400 the next. That is, unless a lower dose did the trick.
So I started on the 200 and it seemed to be working. The anxiety was better, and I even had an instance where I spotted one single time and was totally and utterly convinced it was implantation bleeding. Seriously, will I never learn? I honestly think implantation bleeding is a huge myth, and in fact my husband's immediate response when I giddily told him that I was convinced an embryo was implanting as we spoke was, "Isn't implantation bleeding a myth?" Yes. Yes it is.
This time, when I eventually started a new cycle a couple days later, the anxiety returned. Along with some tail-end brown bleeding. I think I'm on day seven and have had the spotting (if you can even call it that) for about three days now. According to the comments from that post I found from two years ago, that is a sign of low progesterone from your previous cycle. So, that would mean, my progesterone was low even on 200 mg of prometrium. It helped my anxiety but not my hormones.
And now I'm left wondering why the anxiety is back, this time pre-ovulation. It seemed a lot neater and tidier when it was only during the two-week wait. Isn't progesterone supposed to be low now? Could there be other hormonal reasons for my anxiety?
In the meantime, to combat this uncontrollable worry, I'm trying to focus on those in need instead of myself, and there a lot of people in need. But I think that sometimes only increases my craziness.
Prayer Buddy, can you please say a prayer that this anxiety goes away? I'm driving everyone close to me nuts.
And any advice on low progesterone would be great, if anyone has any. Dr. B actually had mentioned injections, like I had during pregnancy, but I thought that seemed a bit extreme. Is it? Should I just continue with the plan to increase the prometrium by 100 mg each cycle until I (hopefully) find that it's working? Oh, and he also wrote me a prescription for prozac. He said he has seen it help women who are having anxiety due to hormonal imbalances. He said to hold on to the script and only fill it if the 400 mg of prometrium doesn't do the trick (which, at this rate, will be in February). I'm not a big fan of those types of medications (for me, personally), but he said it's much more closely tailored than when used for psychiatric purposes (and it's a tiny dose). I just really hoping I don't have to get to that point.
I haven't any advice on the TEBB, sorry. I had it before conceiving this kid, but never had a chance to treat it before getting pregnant. I did have implantation spotting with this baby though. I didn't with my first 3 pregnancies and I too thought it was a myth. I guess sometimes it's real.
ReplyDeleteI had some TEBB and I was on 600 mg of progesterone suppositories, though the TEBB wasn't every single cycle. I never figured out the reason for it before I conceived. (I also have PCOS like you did/do, which may be the larger culprit of the TEBB.)
ReplyDeleteNice pic of Dr. B. I just saw him yesterday.
ReplyDeleteNo real ideas here, but that's hilarious you practically answered your own question a few years ago on a blog comment. :)
From July until November, my anxiety steadily got better - And I had been on 400mgs progesterone (compounded) the entire time post-Peaks. I dappled in Naltrexone, raising the dose from 4.5 up to 25mgs nightly, but then the anxiety actually returned and I also had vomiting and migraines. Only when I stopped the Naltrexone altogether did I experience my first PMS-free cycle (last cycle).
ReplyDeleteBut I also think LIFE was to blame for a lot of it to begin with. The worst of it was the day my Aunt died and my dad had a heart attack. I've never had a panic attack quite like that one. So yes, hormones play a huge role, but life also just plain sucks sometimes ;) Unfortunately no pill for that, or I'd be addicted.
As for TEBB, it doesn't only have to do with low prog, so if you do start to feel better but don't see any reprieve of TEBB, it could be a plethora of other things.
I, too, think implantation spotting is a big fat myth. I used to have pre-menstrual and tail-end bb, and somehow Dr. H has fixed it, but before it was fixed, I got my hopes up every stupid month thinking implantation spotting. The bb can also be related to infection, and while my endometrial cultures were negative, Dr. H still has both me and husband on antibiotics cd1-10 just in case. Also, I use the prog suppositories p+3-12. so, that's an option outside of injections. They are gross and messy, but it's not a needle!
ReplyDeleteAdrenals and thyroid....You can blame them for your anxiety.
ReplyDeleteLook, if you aren't feeling great your meds aren't working.
You have symptoms of whacked hormones, even on meds.
Ahh remember TCIE, TEBB can be low vitamin D. More then likely your Vitamin D, Ferritin and B12 are low because of your thyroid.
Wait? What? He prescribed you a script for prozac?
ReplyDeleteKarey, that will absolutely kill your adrenals...makes them work harder then what they are already trying to do....
Ugh! Why won't he go back to prescribing a tiny dose of HC that you were on before....
If I didn't have experience with feeling absolutely nutty when my thyroid and adrenals were whacked, I wouldn't be so alarmed....Please, please, consider your thyroid/adrenals.....
I'd look into suppositories instead of shots...who wants to do those shots unless you absolutely have to!! Hope that anxiety goes away.
ReplyDeleteI know that my anxiety has gone through the roof since going off of Low Dose Naltrexone and HCG (as well as all of the other natural remedies that was helping with my cycle). I know that when my progesterone is low that I LOSE MY MIND. I have never wished more to be back on medication!
ReplyDeleteDid Dr. B mention anything about infection? I know that taking antibiotics helped my TEBB (time will have to tell if mine has stopped).
I agree with Sew, explore more of the thyroid angle. I wish that when I was on antidepressants (back in university) that I knew about thyroid issues because I know now that mine is messed up. Hydrocort is such an amazing drug, I don't know what I would do without it!
Oh gosh, so sorry to hear that you are dealing with the anxiety. It's no fun.
ReplyDeleteI always tend to think it's more hormone related than anything, unless you're facing a particularly stressful situation in your life or you have something really pressing that is weighing on you. Plus it sounds like the adrenals have been ruled out already.
Maybe keep on the prometrium and upping the dosage and see if that helps, and if not try talking with a counselor or priest that you trust. Sometimes we have "crap" buried that we don't realize is bothering us until we unearth it. At least that has been my experience! I just had a great confession experience that dug up some crap that had really been weighing on me, and I can honestly say I haven't had the depression like I've had my entire pregnancy since. God is amazing that way!
But, all that said, I'm also not opposed to meds when needed. I would just make sure that the meds are safe if you become pregnant. I don't think prozac is one of the best ones for that, but I'm not really sure. Anyway, praying so hard that this weight is lifted from you. xoxo!
Oh my goodness. You sounds *exactly* like me. To the T.
ReplyDeleteI am curious to hear how this plays out for you. I actually need to complete my adrenal saliva test (no time these days to do it, but I think my adrenals are wacky). But I too started having more PMS-like sxs pre-peak after taking 200mg prometrium the previous cycle (hence the adrenal test was ordered). In fact, today is CD7, and I feel awful... sad, lethargic, anxious.
I WILL say, I've seen implantation spotting (not me, but a loved one had very distinct implantation spotting as well as a friend of mine). So I am going to say it does exist, it just doesn't happen to every woman. Also, I almost hate to say that because like you, I get my hopes up *every time* even though it's so unlikely to be implantation bleeding! So perhaps, to avoid that, just tell yourself you don't have a history of it, so don't expect it to happen?
TCIE and Sew are correct that TEBB can mean other things. I hope you get answers and results asap!
p.s. B-vitamins for stress and St. John's Wort have helped me with my anxiety in the past (but not sure if you should take the St. John's Wort if TTC).
ReplyDeleteI have had TEBB for as long as I can remember... Didn't know it was not normal? Also have anxiety... Hmm. :(
ReplyDeleteI just want to add that I am all for medicating. I would not haul my butt all over God's creation to get good drugs. If you saw my medicine cabinet you would know the stronger the drugs the better.
ReplyDeleteBut the research is out there on what anti-depressants do to the already weakened adrenals. For some reason, doctors can not put two and two together.
Again, they are underestimating the power of these hormones and unfortunately it is us that suffer. I think it is because most of them just do not know. But if their patient says i feel xy&z on sy&z drugs I just do not understand why they can't put two and two together. That is why we have to know our stuff or else we are at the mercy of them.
I will do the work for you. :)
I hate to sound so fire and brimstone. But your emotions are not because you are crazy and there is help that will make you better. But it takes the proper medical care to get there.....
You would be an easy case for my doctor. I can set it up for you. LOL I might be a tad crazy! LOL FJIEJ agreed to watch those babies for you, I can set that up too....I think his office might be on the way when you go back home too.....No kidding. He is the best money spent and even me flying there it is still reasonable. And worth it to have me feeling like this....I used to have only 2 good days a month. Now it's about 2 bad days a month....But I'm a different case...My adrenals are shot and so many factors play into my issues that are different then yours...
K-you know what makes you feel better. You can fight for it. I can help you! :)
Okay, I'm not trying to convince you I promise. I just am so sad when I know that you are suffering needlessly....And it's hard because I've been there done that.......
And when someone already has had pretty bad adrenal fatigue all the supplements in the world are not going to correct the problem. Unfortunately you are past the point of supplements helping.
ReplyDeleteThyroid is shrinking, body is attacking itself...I mean the writing is on the wall...
OMGOSH PLEASE DON"T HATE ME! Understand that I'm just very passionate about this and I know you deserve better!!! LOL
Implantation bleeding is not a myth, I've had it twice. I don't think that it's as common though as some might think, but it definitely can and does happen. I honestly think that it's more normal to not have it. The funny thing is that both times that I did have it, I would have bet money that I wasn't pregnant. ;o)
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I agree with Sew regarding your hormones and meds.
Thanks, everyone!
ReplyDeleteI was actually just kind of kidding about the implantation bleeding. I meant it's like a myth to an infertile/former infertile because it's never implantation bleeding if you don't conceive ;). Just that annoying little symptom that gets your hopes up every time you see it.
And I just wanted to add that I trust my doctor, especially since he is not your typical "mainstream" doctor. He's all for treating adrenals and thyroid, he just does not believe that's my problem right now. Maybe he'll look into it more in the future if the prometrium doesn't work. I just think if I trusted the test two years ago when it showed my adrenals were low, then why shouldn't I trust it now when it says they're ok?
And the Prozac (which I have not filled and probably won't ever) is a fraction of the lowest dose that is usually given. He has seen it help with PMS, when used very specifically.
Thanks for the advice and info! I think I might call him about the TEBB. And I think I need to start eating better and getting a little exercise, at least just to rule that out as the cause of my fatigue. I eat a LOT of carbs, very little protein and the biggest work out I get is walking around the grocery store, which I'm all for except it's only once a week ;)
I had anxiety last winter and it turned out to be low Vitamin-D. Supplements helped A LOT. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI too have heard that a very low dose of an antidepressant can help tremendously. I don't think it's the worst thing, and sometimes when we've explored all the other options, it's necessary. I personally have never taken one, but I HATE the stigma around them. I've heard of women have amazing success using them just for a short while. I'm personally not opposed if I ever get so bad that I need them. I hope the prometrium works wonders for you :)
ReplyDeleteI just came to the conclusion the other day that implantation bleeding is a myth too; your blog couldn't have come at a better time. I had the lightest of bleeding for 2 days and my period was 5 days late, a huge change for me. I feel so hopeless right now and I'm scared that I'll never get to experience being a mother.
ReplyDeleteReducing carbs and increasing protein is HUGE - try quinoa - a complete protein - instead of pasta (I put gobs of parmesan and real butter on it and it's so good!) I got my energy back almost immediately cutting out wheat (intolerance for me) and increasing protein...oh, and I'm a synthroid-taking, prozac-using, low-progesterone mommy, but feeling great these days just with diet changes, hoping to wean off prozac when it's sunny and warm (no need to make the dreary winter worse!)
ReplyDelete