Thursday, February 17, 2011

What my husband did yesterday

Allow me, if you will, to brag about my husband for a moment.

He was given the extremely rare opportunity yesterday to interview the President at the White House.

At first I didn't realize how rare it is, but it basically never happens. And when anyone interviews the president, it's news (the White House allowed a few reporters access to him yesterday, which Ryan explains in the video below).

Ryan's interview has already gotten national attention (Obama commented on Gov. Tim Kaine's possible senate run and political blogs like the NY Times and Washington Post have picked it up) and he hasn't even released the full video yet.

He'll anchor a 15-minute special report about his interview tonight, but here's his story that aired last night:




We're so proud of him for being selected and for the awesome job he did!

I have to admit, though, that I guess I have gotten a little jaded. He's been going to D.C. for work a lot lately and, in my selfishness, at first it just meant that he was going be leaving me alone with the babies for nearly 24 hours (and I was nervous I was coming down with mastitis too, which thankfully turned out to be probably only a clogged duct). It wasn't until I saw the first picture of him sitting across from  Obama that I realized how cool it really was.

And it's pretty funny to think that while he was off at the White House, I was dealing with two very runny noses, poppy diapers, and teaching a teething-Clara to hold and eat a popsicle. We couldn't have two more different jobs! But I'd like to think they're equally important :)


After a lot of time with just mommy, I think Clara was happy to have him back home today...


And while Luke may not be too impressed with what his daddy did yesterday, there is one thing he does think is pretty cool...



Maybe he needs a shirt that says, "My daddy interviewed the president!"

31 comments:

  1. K that is awesome!

    One question, does he talk in his "tv" voice all the time? hahahaha

    Can't wait to hear what the president has to say that we don't like! I thought all of it we didn't like?! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is too crazy! and i second sew's question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo coooool!! And, I can't wait to hear more, either. Obama and I pretty much agree on nothing, as you can imagine!

    Oh, and I love those pictures of the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's awesome! :) He did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat!

    P.S. Those pics are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Way to go Ryan! I feel like we should get his autograph the next time we see you guys. :) Very cool.

    K. just remember that the way you love and take care of Ryan's little ones at home, probably contributes greatly to his confidence in the workplace. There is always a great woman behind a great man. :) It must take a lot of confidence to ask the President questions...I don't think I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT'S HUGE!!!!!!

    What an amazing day for him....and excellent job!!!!!

    I wish we got Richmond stations up here in No. VA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!
    I can't believe your husband interviewed the president!!!
    He is impressive on TV!! Are you "used" to him on TV now or is it kinda wierd? My husband doesn't do anything like that, so I would be like "oh my, my husband is on TV!!" every time I saw him!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha.. good point, Sew! I actually had to take that part out of my post..oops!

    And no, he doesn't talk in his t.v. voice.. haha.. but I do like to joke that he wears his make-up even when he's not working because he likes how it makes him look (Just kidding, sweetie!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie - I'm *definitely* used to it! Haha. We met while we both were reporters/anchors so I'm not impressed ;) He actually likes to point out to everyone that I don't even watch him anymore. Although I did watch yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, that is really cool! He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is unbelievable! I had no idea I was blog friends with a celebrity! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome, but I still bet the high point of his day was coming home to the three of you!

    I love the pictures of Clara and Luke, especially of Clara at his feet, that is priceless. One day she will be dancing on his feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool! I can't wait to hear the rest of the interview.

    Your babies are adorable! And yes, both jobs are equally important! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's AMAZING! You SHOULD brag about your hubby! I would too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've been following along on TV...way to go Ryan!

    And oh my goodness, K- pigtails and a shirt with a cute saying...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Luke totally needs a t-shirt that says 'my dad interviewed the president'. What a great Father's Day present.

    I'll bet you could get some awesome suggestions from Alchemy on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love her pigtails!! So cute!

    Go Ryan! I dont' even recognise his "tv" voice, it sounds so different from his real one! haha

    Luke is a gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  19. He did a great job! Very cool that he was able to meet the President and do such a great interview. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what an incredible job and an awesome opportunity! Although, for the record, I think YOUR job is even more important!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started following your blog right around the time Clara came into your lives. This is so exciting! feel like I know someone who interviewed the President since I am an avid follower of your blog and read all about you. You are a blessed woman and I admire how you made the transformation from dealing with infertility to being the mother of two look so effortless. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have Sew make you a onesie!!! Congrats to Ryan and way to go momma for holding it all together!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Congratulations to Ryan :D And your kiddos are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny, I was wondering the same thing about his tv voice :).

    Congrats to Ryan!! That is fantastic and it looks like he did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very impressive! I have to know where you got the cute big truck onesie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, everyone!

    WBR- Children's Place for like $1.99! But that probably means it's from last summer. You never know though, you may still be able to find it on a sales rack.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How cool is that?! Congrats on being married to a celebrity! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I actually saw the interview on Jill Stanek's blog just now, and thought it was your husband! I haven't read your blog in quite some time and I had to check in and see if I was right. Congratulations on your adorable Luke Kolbe! How exciting.

    I'm extremely impressed that Ryan asked about the Live Action videos. Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jill Stanek has the interview on her blog! http://www.jillstanek.com/2011/02/obama-distances-from-planned-parenthood/ When I started reading the post, I was like, "Oh my gosh! I bet that's Ryan's interview!" I was all excited to tell my husband that the husband of someone who's blog I read interviewed the president, lol!

    ReplyDelete