We pulled up to a small, one-story home and parked our van in the driveway. Ryan took our video camera bag from the car, gave our personal cameraman (Barbie's husband) a quick tutorial, and then took an uncomfortable amount of time white balancing (fixing the color so whites are true whites). The nanny had opened the door at this point, Wendy was walking in and I was growing fearful that our meeting was not going to go as planned. Oh this is our daughter? Sorry. My husband is the one outside adjusting our camera settings.
I begged him to stop. He passed the camera off and we entered. I immediately embraced the nanny, who had a sweet face with kind eyes, and then Ryan did the same. We made small talk for a few seconds before she asked if we wanted to meet our baby. She was smiling, but I could tell this was hard for her, that she wanted to get it over with. We followed her into her bedroom, where a bassinet was set up next to her four-poster bed.
She leaned down, picked up a teeny tiny baby, who seemed to be all pants, and handed her off to me. A stranger handed me a baby. Flashes were going off. My brain was telling me I should be overjoyed, crying even, that this was my daughter, but the entire situation seemed completely absurd. I momentarily wondered, where was I, who were these people? How had I gotten here? Not exactly the reaction I imagined having, but I quickly learned that absolutely nothing can prepare you for that experience.

We had woken her. She stretched with her fists clenched and her face turned tomato red. She had lots of relatively long hair on the sides of her head and practically none on the top. Her eyes seemed swollen shut. Someone asked if she was as small as I had expected and I answered yes, she was.
Picture taking commenced and one was texted to our family and friends within the first five minutes. We couldn't let them wait any longer.
I sat in a recliner and held Clara awkwardly. I felt awkward, embarrassed I didn't know how to hold my own baby. My own baby. Ryan squatted next to us, starring speechless at his daughter.
Wendy asked if we wanted to get going and I was thrust back into reality - we could leave with her. I followed the nanny into her kitchen and fought to pay attention as she gave me instructions on bottles, iron supplements and her stuffy nose. She then held Clara and said a tearful goodbye. She'd wake up at the same times Clara usually woke up during the night for about a week, she told us. She did after all the babies.
We thanked her profusely. She had taken loving care of our daughter and played an important role in her young life. We strapped her into her car seat and stood back and we all laughed at how it seemed to swallow up all five pounds of her.
And then we were gone. We were driving away, me in the back seat behind Ryan with a baby to my right. We had escaped with her and no one was coming for us.
As the nanny's little home faded into the distance, Ryan made a tearful call to his mother and I secretly wondered if something was wrong with me because I still hadn't cried. The tears on the way to get her had dried up. I was no longer shaky, but calm. The adrenaline had drained from my body and I felt tired. I was relieved. Content. It wasn't, surprisingly, shocking to me that we were now a family of three; it seemed right. Perfect. I was a mother, Ryan was a father and this little girl - Clara - was our daughter. I felt like we'd had her all along.
It's difficult to pick an ending to this story, since it's not an end, but rather just the very beginning. There is so much more I could share - our cluelessness that first day (thank goodness for Barbie!), finding our way that first night (we couldn't believe we were this little person's primary care givers), when she really felt like ours (that first night), and the wonderfully easy ride home (we were sure we had adopted the best baby in the history of babies). Back home, we continued to receive donations, including a hefty one (a constant reminder that there really is so much goodness in this world), and we are completely paid off with the attorney. We will work to pay back our family over the next couple years.
The adoption will not be finalized until roughly a year from now. I struggle with that from time to time, but, in the end, there is nothing I can do. We trust that everything will go smoothly and, in the meantime, we know we are Clara's parents.
I thank God every day for this miracle - that her birthmother carried her, that she was born healthy despite being only 30 weeks, that word got to us that she needed parents, that no one else took her home before we did, that we got the money together, that I started this blog, that I have joy in my life once again. God is so good, even to those who spent years doubting Him. I can now say, with complete sincerity, that my infertility turned out to be a blessing because it brought me Clara. Every second of heartache was worth being able to look at this face...
He really does make all things new.
Amen....
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story. I followed your blog, but it was nice to get a straight read from begining to begining. ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful daughter you have. I can so see how it was worth every minute. I will try to remember that each and every day.
It is a blessing to see how she has grown in this short time. Also, I know this sounds strange, but I really think she has your smile! Actually, maybe it's not strange, mimicry is one way we learn expressions and I am sure that your smiles of joy are influencing her. She is beautiful. Congratulations, again!
ReplyDeleteTears at reading this. So beautiful.....
ReplyDeleteIt's just amazing to see the tiny little peanut she was when you picked her up and then see how big she is in that last picture!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story :).
Wow, she really is getting big!
ReplyDeleteI loved this 4 part miracle-story. Thank you for taking the time to write it down, and for sharing it with us while you were living it.
You write a great story and so beautifully. I LOVE how happy and content you are now............:)
ReplyDeleteShe is getting big, and still so adorable! She makes me melt. Thanks for taking the time to take us back through this ,to put it all together and get in details that we didn't know about before, for being so raw and open about your insecurities, etc. Being a mother is humbling. None of us know what we are doing, and yet somehow we survive and they thrive!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and inspiring story. thank you.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great, God-written story! Thank you for sharing it with us. I love that last picture! I totally agree that she has your smile :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story!
ReplyDeleteLoved it! I hope you print this out and put it in a scrapbook for Clara. I made one for E . :)
ReplyDeleteYou are an absolutely gifted writer. And I'm impressed that you faithfully posted for the last few days even with that little one begging your attention.
ReplyDeleteShe has totally chunked up! Loving those fat cheeks! Thanks for this, K.... you are a special lady:)
Okay, I BAWLED through the last two entries. What a wonderful story. . . What was most incredible to me was how God was so IN IT for every step of the way.
ReplyDeleteI actually want more details about your first hours and days together, but I know that they might be private or too much to write about. But I know those first few days are so overwhelming and heady, no matter how that baby arrives, they change everything.
God bless all three of you. Thank you for these glimpses in your life.
Beautiful story! I love the picture at the end. You had me crying the whole time I was reading. I am so happy for the three of you.
ReplyDeleteI just bawled my eyes out! What an amazing story. I am so glad to have found this blog, and to have read your journey. There is hope for all of us out there! Thank you. And congrats! She is beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteCRYING!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh man, after reading your blog for about a year I think...this is the most awesome story. Can't wait to see Clara grow into a beautiful young woman with such amazing parents.
Thanks for sharing. What wonderful miracles brought you together.
ReplyDeleteMy eyes are filled with tears and my hurt is just bursting from my chest. I am so very, very happy for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing....It's a great story. God bless you and your family.
ReplyDeleteWow. Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful story about a beautiful little girl!
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog, and at a momentous time for you! Wow! I was drawn to your blog because it focused on Hope, as does mine (or at least I try). I am at a different point in my journey, just waiting. Can't wait to be on your end of all of this:). I will be following!
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful. Thanks so much for your story....it inspires us every time we think about it! God is sooooo good...and full of surprises. :o)
ReplyDeleteso glad you wrote all this out... loved reading it from beginning to end!
ReplyDeleteI remember this roller coaster of emotions like it was yesterday.
ReplyDeleteYour journey for Clara will always be close to my heart because I felt like I was part of it in a way. I will forever thank God for this blessing!!!
I remember how emotional I was during that week, I was living vicariously through you, couldn't sleep at night, waiting for every phone call, wondering what would happen next, just SO thrilled at your happy news from the very first call.
I cannot say that I have ever witnessed the hand of God in such a more powerful way than this.
All those prayers over all those years answered in one soul.
She is beautiful and you guys are a beautiful family. I cannot stop crying tears of joy!!! Adoption is a beautiful miracle and YES He makes all things new ...
Blessed be God!
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful!
Yet again I have goosebumps!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh I love this -- all of it! What a great story. I am crying.
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful to read these last couple of posts when in the midst of feeling down about hoping. It's hard sometimes to stay positive, but then know that sometimes things happen fast. I'm so thankful that you can look back and see His hand upon you...it does give me hope that one day I will too.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I mean it.
What a beautiful story. I'd followed your blog during our bout with infertility and was always deeply touched and impressed by your faith. I then got pregnant, and right before I delivered my daughter (Dec. 23) I read one of your saddest blog posts-I went into labor that night. During and after delivery, you were constantly on my mind and I prayed so much for you. I wanted to tell you how you were being hard on yourself and it was normal to feel so sad and frustrated, but not to ever despair-that you had a beautiful and real faith,God did care and was in charge. But I never got to post any comments in the rush of a new baby, and when I finally checked you blog again, I couldn't believe the miraculous story of Clare Therese, who was making her way to you the whole time. As God was knitting her together in the womb, he was preparing you to be her mother.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is Theresa-also for Theresa of the little flower, who I prayed to so ardently for a child. My overwhelming feelings of joy and awe are so similar to yours-at our daughter, at God's goodness and wisdom of timing all along. And my baby, despite me watching her grow and move in my own belly, often seems like a stranger to me in these early months who I've always loved but am just starting to know.
You are a beautiful witness to faith, to motherhood. I am so happy for you all. Have a joyous Easter.
I found your adoption story today and I can't thank you enough for sharing it. We have just suffered our 3rd miscarriage and are starting to explore the idea of adoption. I am very unsure about so many things, but what I know above all is that I want to be a mom, and your story gives me hope and encouragement. Many blessings to you and little Clara. God is good!
ReplyDeleteYour story is beautiful. I was off blogs for the second half of lent, and what a joy when I got onto the computer today and read your story!!!!! Clara is a beautiful baby and you certainly have a wonderful story to share with her as she grows up. I'm sure she will feel cherished and loved, knowing she was the answer to the many prayers of her parents, family, friends, and complete strangers!
ReplyDeleteOh, and that picture of Clara is just amazing! I think it might be my favorite ;-)
Finally got around to reading the whole adoption story and I can't believe it took me so long! Beautiful! I'm crying. Just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis story brought me to tears! God is good. Thank you for sharing... I look forward to seeing more pictures of your lovely daughter.
ReplyDeleteI have just come across your blog, and this is the most beautiful story I have ever heard. I am so glad you have your gorgeous Clara
ReplyDeleteAmazing! Gorgeous blog. I feel like I know you and your journey. Clara is beautiful.
ReplyDelete~Heather
I just finished reading your adoption story and have tears in my eyes because we have been on a similar journey these past 3 months. I am super surprised that you were allowed to leave the state with Clara so soon. Did your ICPC get done within days? You can check out my blog at andrewandjuliesadoptionstory.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteAlso, I went to college with Amber and Candace...they lived across the hall from me in the dorm, so it was sweet seeing that you are friends with Amber. She just welcomed her miracle baby, Lucy Marie a few weeks ago. Small world we live in!
In Christ,
Julie
crying. a lot. you are amazing and so is your daughter.
ReplyDeletewe are in a similar sitch ourselves but not with an agency. we hired an attny here in nyc and will be advertising soon.
Hi there! You have no idea the blessing that you are to me. You dont know me, but God had is hands in it when I stumbled across your page. We have been trying to concieve for a year and a half now. And your adoption story truly touches my heart. Thank you so much!
ReplyDelete