Monday, March 8, 2010

Clara's shower

At many points throughout the last five-and-a-half years, I truly thought I'd never be attending my own baby shower. But I did on Saturday.

It was surreal, and kind of funny when, as I was getting ready minutes before it began, I thought to myself, "Probably not too many women can say they were on cycle day three at their own baby shower!" I'm eternally thankful that I can now joke about that sort of thing!

The shower was amazing. Clara was the guest of honor, for sure. She wore a cute party dress, and I don't think I saw her again after guests started arriving!

My mom threw the party at her house and somehow forty people fit comfortably. The food was awesome. It was a brunch and we had tons of good stuff, including baked french toast, my mom's potato salad (my favorite!) and delicious cupcakes.

I used to think about how it wouldn't work out to have a shower if we adopted, and that it'd be just another thing I'd be missing out on, so I think it was really important for me to have one. I can understand holding off if you're worried about the adoption being finalized, but in our case we have been completely open with the world from the very start, so having a shower didn't change anything (plus, ours won't be finalized until this time next year, God willing). It was just a really great way for everyone to meet little Clara, and after hearing our story, so many people couldn't wait to see her. And how much more fun is a shower when the baby is in attendance?

I don't have many pictures of the actual shower just yet (I didn't really have a chance to use my camera in between eating and opening presents), but I do have some shots from the weekend:

My mom, me and Clara at the shower


Clara LOVES her grandfather. She smiles every time he talks to her!



She got to meet her great-grandpa








Her smile just makes me melt! It really wipes away all the pain of the last five-and-a-half years, in a split second. Not that the heartache hadn't already been erased, but the beauty of this is that the suffering is continually wiped away, day after day. God's redeeming power is mind blowing.

Not that it's a choice we'd ever get to make, but I'd suffer every second again just to get Clara. While in the throes of infertility, I used to think about that at times, that the pain was necessary because I would, eventually, be given a child that I wouldn't have met if not for infertility. It was so abstract back then, but I did try to cling to it, and it's even more real now than I ever could have imagined at the time. Clara was always meant to be ours, and the last five years was our unique journey, designed by our Lord, to bring us together with her. We wouldn't have it any other way.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to have a shower!! how exciting and NO it's not something you should have to miss! Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that last photo! Clara's smile! Priceless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! She has a surreal smile, so cool to see a baby that happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just can't WAIT to see pictures of the shower!!
    She's beautiful and I love the pink plaid outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds like a dream come true. God Bless you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite shower to attend was my CrMS practitioner's, who adopted from Russia. (My sister threw the shower.) She had it before she went to Russia, but I think with foreign adoption it's a little more of a sure thing. I was in the midst of my own IF at the time but still loved every second of the shower :)

    I'm so glad you finally had your shower! I think everyone who adopts should have one, I never thought that people would actually opt out of that! (I can understand not having one before placement, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was fun and I am so glad you had one! Ditto what Leila said - the last picture completely melted me. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so hppy that you got to have this experience! Your Clara is absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you got to have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for all of you! What a wonderful celebration. Yes, God's plans are way better than our own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her smile is so big! Precious! I'm glad you had such a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful for your family! Clara is beautiful and so are you! Her smile is truly full of God's light. So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember like yesterday how surreal my shower was. Clara was a gorgeous guest of honor. I am so happy for you both. What an amazing story. I love all the pics, she is just precious and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most beautiful smile I think I have ever seen. She is an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can hardly believe how big Clara is getting. I love, love, love her smile. She is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for finally getting your shower!! You definitely deserved one! I'm not sure that I ever said Congratulations on adopting Clara. She's just the cutest and it is so good to see you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, that last picture of her smile is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

    I had my baby shower AFTER my daughter Gianna was born. Because we lost our first baby at birth (we knew in advance that she had a fatal birth defect called anencephaly), I was a nervous wreck during my pregnancy with Gianna and wouldn't allow anyone to shower me with any presents. We waited until Gianna was a month old, then I traveled home to my parents house for the shower. We called it a "baby welcoming party" but it was basically a shower. Everyone agreed that it was much more fun to have the gathering with the baby in attendance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so very cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete