We finally got the results of the semen analysis this morning (after I did a little investigating and discovered the lab had the wrong fax number for my doctor's office. Fax number errors are the leading cause of late test results, I swear!). Ryan is fine. More than fine, actually. The results show he is above normal in all categories. What an overachiever!
I was in adoration when I finally got the call with the results and with two minutes left to go in our hour, I got up and took it out in the hall. I'm glad I did, because is was my doctor. Actually, it wasn't my current doctor, it was Dr. B. He gave me the results and then was kind enough to answer my questions about last month's post coital exam, despite the fact that he didn't have my file in front of him.
I asked him if we needed to further investigate things on my end, like whether I have hostile mucus, and he said he didn't think so. He basically said that post-coitals can be unreliable and that like Dr. C said, one or two living sperm is a positive result. He also said that the test really needs to be done within an hour of the act, and in our case one of the times it was the next morning and the other time it was at least four hours later. He said having one or two living sperm under those circumstances is probably fine.
I also asked him about Clomid and whether that could have made my mucus temporarily hostile, and he said it wouldn't have killed the sperm. He also had a good point - there may be problems with Clomid, but we can't deny the fact that it is the leading fertility drug.
So I guess I'll bring up the hostile mucus thing with Dr. S in January, and try not to worry about it until then.
I'm also trying not to worry about this cycle. I had another negative OPK today, yet my temperature did rise this morning. And, so far, I haven't had any mucus. What does this mean?
Here are more details: Today is cycle day 14. I had negative OPK's on cycle days 12, 13, and 14. I had pain (on both sides of lower abdomen, lasted an hour) on cycle day 12.
I'm guessing that if I had taken one on cycle day 11 it would have been positive. That would have indicated that I would be ovulating in 24-36 hours, which would mean I ovulated on cd 12 (which would match up with the pain) or 13. Then my temp rose on cd 14, after ovulation. That's how it should work, right? I guess I'll never know for sure, since I didn't start taking the OPK's early enough.
Under this scenario, would the OPK be negative on cd 12, potentially the day of ovulation? Or should it still detect an LH surge?
Thanks for humoring me with this. It's not that I'm obsessed with it by any means, I just want to know if I appear to be ovulating.
As I mentioned, I was in adoration this morning and I have another post coming today about that. Don't worry, no more miracles. Well, other than the Real Presence always being a miracle! I'm really trying to work on surrendering and I think I might have realized what I am still holding back. I'll post more later.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Results
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are correct on the timing and if you OV'd when you think you did, the test would probably be - on CD 12. Stick with the tests and temperature taking for a few days just in case.
ReplyDeleteGood news on the SA.
On the post-c, I'm really surpised they did it so late after the act. Those test aren't all that reliable but THAT test (4 hrs later) really is not reliable. I hate that it gave you something else to worry about.
It's wonderful that Ryan's SA numbers are great. I'm glad that your dr gave you some comfort on the post-coital results. I can't believe that they would test so long after the act when you might have ovulated and cause you worry that's probably unnecessary.
ReplyDeleteIt does sound like you ovulated on day 12 based on the various signs. Different people surge for different lengths of time so if you have a quick surge, then you could have get a negative result even though your surge was pretty recent. Someone else may get positives for a couple days.
You could definitely see a negative on the day you ovulated. What time of day do you test? I've read that the best time for OPK is between 2 and 6. Apparently the surge itself typically happens in the morning, but it takes some time to pass into your urine. And obviously you should try to test at the same time each day. I had really bad luck getting a positive when I tested first thing in the morning, but the things worked like a charm once I started testing in the afternoon.
ReplyDeleteThank God he is good! That is fantastic!!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you need low dose injections to get the timing of your ovulation right or something....??? That is crazy stuff....